GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,254
0 members and 2,254 guests
No Members online

Old 08-11-2000, 09:40 AM
FreeMasonery

Post Masonic Organizations & Hazing

Is anyone a member of a Masonic organization? My friend told me that they 'pledged him', and at various points while getting deeper and deeper into it, he was hazed. Any comments? I am wondering if this is for me. I like the community service projects they do ....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2000, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Your best bet is to probably dig a little deeper with your friend who is already a in the organization. If I were you, I would probably trust the info I got from him, as opposed to strangers on this board who don't know you, and who realy don't have your best interest at heart. (Not trying to be funny), but that's really what I would do. You know this person, and while there is only so much he will tell you, he would probably be your best source of info.

Peace

MN

"And yet the menace of the years finds and shall find me unafraid"
Old 08-11-2000, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

NO COMMENT ON FREEMASONRY, BECAUSE IT IS NOT AN APPROPRIATE FORUM TOPIC. THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS FOR GREEK ORGANIZATIONS PERIOD. DIRECT YOUR CONCERNS THROUGH PERSONS IN THE PHYSICAL WHO ARE INVOLVED IN THE LODGE THAT YOU ARE INTERSETED IN.
Old 08-11-2000, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY-BILL CLINTON:
NO COMMENT ON FREEMASONRY, BECAUSE IT IS NOT AN APPROPRIATE FORUM TOPIC. THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS FOR GREEK ORGANIZATIONS PERIOD.
Didn't you just get through talking about Masonry in the 'BGLO Origins' topic?
Old 08-11-2000, 04:40 PM
FreeMasonery

It IS an appropriate topic because there are many people who are involved in both. I am sure that there may be someone who has a comment on this subject. If you do not agree or like the topic, wouldn't it just be easier to click to the next topic and not reply. Have a BLESSED DAY!
Old 08-11-2000, 08:18 PM

The founders of many fraternities were Masons, and parts of some of our Rituals came from Free Masonry. It seems to me to be a decent topic for discussion.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum
Old 08-11-2000, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of whether there are Masons in fraternities or not, the question is specifically about Free Masonry, not something like "which did you become a member of first, how were you received by the other org, etc." The information he seeks will DEFINETLY NOT be given here, they do not operate like that. FreeMasonery, If you'd really like to know, I strongly suggest you discuss this further with your friend.
Old 11-09-2000, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeMasonery:
Is anyone a member of a Masonic organization? My friend told me that they 'pledged him', and at various points while getting deeper and deeper into it, he was hazed. Any comments? I am wondering if this is for me. I like the community service projects they do ....
But, to answer your question instead of badgering you about it, I am also a Mason, find it very rewarding and was never hazed. I recommend it to all who are interested.
Old 11-10-2000, 12:43 AM

Hi AEK -- whatever,

Your screen name is a lot like the VIN on my car.

Thanks for the information. My father, uncle and grandfather are/were Masons, but I never had an interest.

I believe that since many of the founders of Greek organizations were Masons, and they passed along many of their customs through our rituals, it is educational to get some amount of insight -- without giving away any secrets.

I think it's generally helpful to know as much as you can about your heritage, so I think it is a reasonable question for this forum.

Fraternally,
DeltAlum
Old 01-04-2001, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

JUT AN FYI,
I AM A CATHOLIC AND FORBIDDEN TO JOIN THE MASONS. IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE AN EVIL GROUP OF PEOPLE, BUT THEY ARE NOT RIGHT IN THEIR BEILEIFS. (MY PERSONAL AND RELIGIOUS BELIEF)I AM CURIOUS TO FIND OUT HOW WE COULD TRACE WHAT SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES TO THE MASONS??
Old 01-04-2001, 04:46 PM

Alphabebe,

I don't think you will trace any GLO's directly to the Masonic movement.

The point is that some founders of many fraternal organizations were also Masons so some of their ritual, etc. tends to be copied.

This does NOT mean that Masonsic movement has or had anything to do with the governance of those other organizations.

DeltAlum
Old 01-04-2001, 09:18 PM

I think that Acacia Fraternity was somehow associated with Masonry, to what degree I'm unsure. But that was a looooong time ago.

alphabebe - I thought that the "Catholics can't join the Masons" doctrine went out with Vatican II?
Old 01-05-2001, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

hey AEKDB5DGMXX, can I ask you a few questions in the Kappa Sigma forum?
Old 01-05-2001, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
I think that Acacia Fraternity was somehow associated with Masonry, to what degree I'm unsure. But that was a looooong time ago.

alphabebe - I thought that the "Catholics can't join the Masons" doctrine went out with Vatican II?
yes, there were changes with vatican II, however it does not rule out the masons. the function oftheir secret oath is to get rid of organized religion (all religion) and live in a natural state without any form of law whether it be religious or governed. the only reason we know this is from people who left the order. they do have many beneficial practices within their order, however their basis is quite different from a sorority or fraternity. thanks for asking!!!

Old 01-05-2001, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS MAY IN FACT BE HARD TO SWALLOW,BUT I TOO ALSO KNOW THE INFORMATION PROVIDED TO BE A FACT! I HAVE FAMILY FRIENDS TO BE MASONS AND ALTHOUGH THEY ARE FRIENDS WE DIFFER IN THE LIFE CHOICES WE MAKE. NOT A BIG DEAL!! I DO KNOW THAT NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE VERSED IN THEIR BEIELFS AND FIND THE ORGANIZATION HARMELESS, HOWEVER THROUGH THE I GUESS, SO CALLED INITIATION PROCESS THINGS ARE REVEALED. MY POINT WAS TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO RECOGNIZE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SORORITIES AND FRATERNITIES IN COMPARISON TO THE MASONS. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE IS A MASON THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM A BAD PERSON. THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS TRYING TO CONVEY AND IF THAT IS WHAT YOU PERCEIVED THEN, I APOLOGIZE. HOWEVER, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT PEOPLE KNOW. THANKS FOR LISTENING AND ASKING!