GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,479
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, ReaghanW2002
» Online Users: 2,161
1 members and 2,160 guests
Tridentia

Old 06-25-2023, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Job Dislikes

I’m sure most of us on here like/enjoy what we do for a living. But no job/career is perfect. If you could pick a dislike or dislikes about your job/career that stand out — the thing that makes you dread going in sometimes. What would it be.

For me it’s when I’m held accountable for the things that are out of my control. So our center managers are required to get so many customer surveys a month. If they don’t meet that goal we have to find out why. Or if certain stores in my region are suffering from people not doing what they’re supposed to, then I have to find out why. Drives me nuts when it’s simple stuff that just needs to be followed. It’s all a numbers game. But the surveys are my biggest dislikes. You can’t make somebody take a survey.

You?
Old 06-25-2023, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Hearing my patients owners life stories that have nothing to do with the health of their pets. And then when they question what they’ve been charged for after they’ve been told. Just happened Friday with an Australian Cattle Dog Mix. With the exception of my family, my best friend and my coworkers, I’m just not a people person. Ugh! My family and the people I work with know I’m not but they tell me I play it off really well lol.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 06-25-2023, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Hearing my patients owners life stories that have nothing to do with the health of their pets. And then when they question what they’ve been charged for after they’ve been told. Just happened Friday with an Australian Cattle Dog Mix. With the exception of my family, my best friend and my coworkers, I’m just not a people person. Ugh! My family and the people I work with know I’m not but they tell me I play it off really well lol.
Wow! Really? I had no idea you weren’t a people person, CG. You seem outgoing and really friendly on here.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Love me Australian Cattle Dog mixes my parents have one. She's sweet but very sassy.

I do get where you are coming from Cheerful Greek. People just sort of wear me out. Its funny when I was a kid I thought I wanted to be a vet but then when you have to deal with sick and animals that are dying, I knew I couldn't handle that. It would just make me entirely too sad. Which I give major kudos to anyone who enters that field as a whole.

Instead I ended up becoming a nurse. I figured most not all people make their own choices that might lead to poor outcomes. Although I decided while in nursing school being a pediatric nurse wasn't my bag either. I used to joke my favorite patients were the sedated ones. :-)

But my least favorite part as a nurse was the dying. I took care of many a hospice patient, and those deaths you knew were coming at some point. Others, it was a recently diagnosed illness. Strangely when you see people that close to death I think the death process itself is easier on the person who is dying, versus the loved ones left behind. It also made me realize too to be very clear in communicating my wishes should something happen to me and I can't make decisions for myself.

But aside from the sadness and empathy, I worked overnights, I swear people would always die between 2:30-3:30 am. We did hourly rounds when I would see a patient who had passed the first couple of times I'd call in another nurse just to make sure I'm not hearing a heartbeat. One time we were super short staffed so I had to basically get the body in a bag. I swear I was so paranoid that the person was just going to pop up! Had to end on a bit of levity.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:17 AM

Miscommunication from higher ups. Get all your ducks in a row before you give me a direction so I don’t end up redoing it. And when you come back and change it don’t give me the ultimate mealy mouthed excuse “I’m just following orders.”

The other big dislike: not listening to the boots on the ground. If 4 supervisors and all her team members tell you a person is an idiot, that should be enough to fire her, even if that means one less person on the team. (GC correlation: giving a bid to anything that moves just to get numbers up.)
Old 06-26-2023, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

I hated it when I would give suggestions to a student and his/her parents for alternative ways to accomplish the educational goal and the parents would complain to the head of school. For instance, I taught a student whose parents saw him being a pro hockey player as an adult. This kid ( 8th grade) was on 2 travel hockey teams. He practiced 3-4 hours after school, was driven to the east coast twice a week to practice with his east coast team there. He rarely did his reading, so consequently didn’t/ couldn’t do his homework. I suggested the parents get the novels we were using in class on tape, and he could listen to the assigned chapters while he was driven all over creation to his practices( I was more judicious in my spoken words). His parents took offense and complained to the head of MS who then had to come talk to me, all for trying to help a student not fail.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Wow! Really? I had no idea you weren’t a people person, CG. You seem outgoing and really friendly on here.
lol
I am friendly, Phrozen. That’s part of the problem, according to my staff. My coworkers tell me I’m the problem because I’m so friendly to our customers. They told me a lot of times our customers like to schedule their appointments with me the most because of my friendly, “bubbly” personality. They told me not to be so nice all the time.

On here is different. There’s no one actually talking and I can turn GC on or off, unlike people in real life lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Love me Australian Cattle Dog mixes my parents have one. She's sweet but very sassy.

I do get where you are coming from Cheerful Greek. People just sort of wear me out. Its funny when I was a kid I thought I wanted to be a vet but then when you have to deal with sick and animals that are dying, I knew I couldn't handle that. It would just make me entirely too sad. Which I give major kudos to anyone who enters that field as a whole.

Instead I ended up becoming a nurse. I figured most not all people make their own choices that might lead to poor outcomes. Although I decided while in nursing school being a pediatric nurse wasn't my bag either. I used to joke my favorite patients were the sedated ones. :-)

But my least favorite part as a nurse was the dying. I took care of many a hospice patient, and those deaths you knew were coming at some point. Others, it was a recently diagnosed illness. Strangely when you see people that close to death I think the death process itself is easier on the person who is dying, versus the loved ones left behind. It also made me realize too to be very clear in communicating my wishes should something happen to me and I can't make decisions for myself.

But aside from the sadness and empathy, I worked overnights, I swear people would always die between 2:30-3:30 am. We did hourly rounds when I would see a patient who had passed the first couple of times I'd call in another nurse just to make sure I'm not hearing a heartbeat. One time we were super short staffed so I had to basically get the body in a bag. I swear I was so paranoid that the person was just going to pop up! Had to end on a bit of levity.
Thank you for posting this, andthen. I had no idea you’re a nurse. That’s an amazing field to be in. I know it’s really hard but at the same time I’ll bet it’s very rewarding. Nurses go through a lot. I’m just like wow @ you placing a deceased person in a bag. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t do that. That’s too much.

Did you work as a nurse during Covid? What was that like?
Old 06-27-2023, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol
I am friendly, Phrozen. That’s part of the problem, according to my staff. My coworkers tell me I’m the problem because I’m so friendly to our customers. They told me a lot of times our customers like to schedule their appointments with me the most because of my friendly, “bubbly” personality. They told me not to be so nice all the time.

On here is different. There’s no one actually talking and I can turn GC on or off, unlike people in real life lol
I should have reworded that. I can believe it but because of how you post, I’m surprised to know you’re not a people person.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thank you for posting this, andthen. I had no idea you’re a nurse. That’s an amazing field to be in. I know it’s really hard but at the same time I’ll bet it’s very rewarding. Nurses go through a lot. I’m just like wow @ you placing a deceased person in a bag. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t do that. That’s too much.

Did you work as a nurse during Covid? What was that like?
Nursing has been a rewarding career, I don't do so much direct patient care anymore I do more of the administrative stuff and work in the public health sector. But I do have several friends who still work at the same hospital I worked at many moons ago. A few worked in the ICUs during the pandemic they said it was rough and quite stressful. My hats off to them truly.

Its funny working in any sort of medical field whether it be people or animals there are somethings that are just too much for each us as individuals. Putting the body in the bag was a bit weird but when I had to take it to the morgue...yeah that was my first time in a morgue.

One day I was at my vet's office picking up a med refill for my dog and they had the candle lit out on the front counter and gosh if I didn't get choked up. Mind you I've been going to that vet for ages and they've helped put several dogs down.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ It’s always awesome and interesting reading someone else’s experience in another profession within the medical field and not just veterinary medicine. Thank you for all that you do, andthen. I appreciate you.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol
Is that why you became a veterinarian so you wouldn’t have to deal with humans?
Old 06-28-2023, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ That’s part of it. The other reason is because of my love of animals. Animals are SO cute, innocent and funny.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^ That’s part of it. The other reason is because of my love of animals. Animals are SO cute, innocent and funny.
Lol!
Old 07-28-2023, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You should go into ER medicine. I too don’t like to chit chat and this is what I like about ER medicine- no time for chit chat😊. I will say I had the most chatty client last night at 2 am while I had 5 other rooms waiting -ugggg.

Ok back to the original question- what I hate most about my job are euthanasias - my co- workers know this and try and take the euthanasias if possible. One day I had 8 and that day just about killed me. I treated a block cat a few months ago and he re blocked- the owner was so sweet I could not euthanize the cat so I paid for a PU surgery, unfortunately the cat came back a week later with diabetes and ended up getting euthanized which made me very sad.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieAXO View Post
You should go into ER medicine. I too don’t like to chit chat and this is what I like about ER medicine- no time for chit chat😊. I will say I had the most chatty client last night at 2 am while I had 5 other rooms waiting -ugggg.

Ok back to the original question- what I hate most about my job are euthanasias - my co- workers know this and try and take the euthanasias if possible. One day I had 8 and that day just about killed me. I treated a block cat a few months ago and he re blocked- the owner was so sweet I could not euthanize the cat so I paid for a PU surgery, unfortunately the cat came back a week later with diabetes and ended up getting euthanized which made me very sad.
Oh dear God, if I worked midnights at an ER hospital again, my husband would have a cow. That was SO short lived.

Aggie, call me crazy and weird (my coworkers do), but I don’t know why or where the connection comes from or if there is a connection to something else? - but I really, really struggle when I have to put a sick patient down when they come in wearing a cute sweater or a collar with a bell on it. I’m tearing up right now thinking about it. I lose it every time. I’ve gotten better emotionally at euthanizing sick patients, but when there’s cute accessories attached to them, I still have a hard time with that. I have NO idea why that is.