GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,216
0 members and 1,216 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The dumbest resume question ever

Ok- have you ever seen anyone staple a resume?? What about paperclip? Or put in a binder??

I have been applying for internships for weeks now, and I have to send in one tomorrow that I really really want. Badly. They are asking for a cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples, and a letter of recommendation. What do I do with all of it??

I think stapling is tacky, especially when there's a sealed envelope (rec.) attached. A paperclip looks useless, but do I just throw it all in a huge non-folding envelope???

One of those things I've been thinking about for too long, that is just killing me now- please help!!!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd say put it all in a 9x12 envelope (or one big enough so that you don't have to fold anything) without a staple/paperclip/etc. Let them decide what they want to do with it.

I think it would look funny stapling something like that, but I don't know the "official" rules for it.

PsychTau
Old 02-25-2004, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Bless you.
It's one of those things you already know the answers to, but need someone else to look at, you know?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
No, send them loose...I just did some recruiting, and I couldn't stand it when people stapled things, and then I wanted to fax them back to HQ, and had to take all the staples out.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a recruiter.

Completely agree--no staples.

I would be okay with you paper-clipping multiple items together (ie cover letter, resume, references) but not paper-clipping a two-page resume together all by itself.

Make sure the paper clip is old-fashioned metal. No pink or purple ones, please! THAT'S tacky.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Banned

Re: The dumbest resume question ever

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
Ok- have you ever seen anyone staple a resume?? What about paperclip? Or put in a binder??

I have been applying for internships for weeks now, and I have to send in one tomorrow that I really really want. Badly. They are asking for a cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples, and a letter of recommendation. What do I do with all of it??

I think stapling is tacky, especially when there's a sealed envelope (rec.) attached. A paperclip looks useless, but do I just throw it all in a huge non-folding envelope???

One of those things I've been thinking about for too long, that is just killing me now- please help!!!
No paper clips, no staples. Everyone on here but me is unemployed and on welfare. Only listen to me ok?

-Rudey
--OK?!?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: The dumbest resume question ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Only listen to me ok?
Rudey must be a recruiter too...
Old 02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
If its in a big envelope you don't need to connect the stuff they can just put it back in the envelope.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

So it's a few pages?

What about a clear cover binder/report cover, maybe inside a manila envelope? Would that be alright? Were I a recruiter who recieved that resume, I would be magnanimous about it's contents.

"Gracious, what an organized and tasteful presentation this is! I can only assume that this resumé was submitted by the perfect canidate for whatever position they requested. Yowza!"
Old 02-26-2004, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

No staples, no paper clips, no report covers, nothing. It should be naked and in an envelope.

If you're afraid that the parts may become separated, make sure that you include your name and a page number (e.g., AXJules, Page 1 of 3) in the header or footer so that it can be matched up later.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DWAlphaGam
If you're afraid that the parts may become separated, make sure that you include your name and a page number (e.g., AXJules, Page 1 of 3) in the header or footer so that it can be matched up later.
What she said.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Speaking to all the recruiters out there, and this is a little off-topicish- but, do people really look at cover letters? I hate writting them and never know what to say, what do you look for in a cover letter to put it in the "possible people to consider" pile?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much everyone. It's off in the mail today!
As far as cover letters go- keep it simple and to the point.
Hi. My name is XXX. This is what I want from you (a job, an internship).
Next p- I'd be good for your job because...
np- call to action: I'll be calling you in one business week to follow up.
Thank you for your time,
XXXX

Obviously make it a little more polished, but one thing I do know is that recruiters don't want to put up with bullshit or vague empty phrases (I'm a people person, or I have been given an extensive amount of training and I'd like the opportunity to put these skills into action blah blah blah= Gheyness.)
Old 02-26-2004, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

While I am not a "recruiter" I have worked in HR, my boyfriend is a high-level HR person who used to do a lot of recruiting, and at the company I am currently at I do the initial scan of resumes so take this however you want...

We never look at cover letters. Never.

That being said, do not send a resume in the mail without a cover letter. But it just needs the basics, i.e "I saw the ______ position on/in _______. I'm sending my resume as I am interested, please let me know if you are interested in meeting with me. I can be reached at _______. Thank you" Short and simple. I can see your experience on your resume. I don't need to read through it on a cover letter, too. I have known recruiters who WON'T look at a resume that has a page long cover letter attached.

Same for email. Don't just send a blank one with an attachement. At least say what job your interested in, but keep it SHORT!

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Kathy. I may not read the entire cover letter (I do generally scan through it, though), but it looks bad if you don't even bother writing one. I figure if someone can't take the time to write even a short cover letter, they're not going to take the time to do a good job when they're working for me. Also, when you're writing a cover letter or resume, don't go crazy with the thesarus on your computer. Yes, we can tell when you're doing that and it makes you look ridiculous.

Also, never ever use the phrase "I am a motivated team player." It is, as Jules says, GHEY.

(BTW, I'm not a recruiter, but my department has a very high turnover rate—we're hiring once every 6 months or so—and I've seen tons of resumes.)