GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,158
2 members and 1,156 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 07-26-2000, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Post More Questions Southern Theta

Thank you so much Southern Theta! Your information was so helpful. I am rushing this fall but don't quite understand the process. I have a good idea of what sorority I would like to pledge but what is this about going to each house first? Can you explain in detail the week of rush? Also, How do I go about contacting the phanhellinic council or individual sororities at my college? I go to college down by Houston and they are unavaliable for contact over the web. What should I bring to be on the safe side? One woman told me I should bring papers from high school. Should I have head shots ready in case? Thanks for everything!!!
Old 07-26-2000, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

don't contact these people prior to rush. they probably can't contact you anyway, depending on rules about "recruiting" and such. also, i can speak for sigma alpha iota that we're up to our necks in rush planning and activities, coordinating committees and whatnot. there isn't TIME to chit chat with rushees prior to the school year. it's good you're showing interest, but wait until you get there to go talking to sisters. you don't know what kinds of girls you're talking to.

etienne
Old 07-26-2000, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
CLJ,
For a detailed explanation of NPC Formal Recruitment, please visit http://panhellenic.tripod.com/FAQ.html

If you need an explanation of how bid matching works, that question has been answered on these boards many times. A simple search of the boards will turn up those threads.

It's admirable that you have a particular house in mind, but you will be required to visit each house on campus at least once or possibly twice. Try and keep an open mind about each house. It could be that your 'choice' doesn't really appeal to you once you meet the members of the chapter. You should not contact the individual chapters on campus. However, if you have not already done so, you should contact the Greek Life or Student Activities offices to sign up for Formal Recruitment. The application will tell you if you need to provide pictures, transcripts, etc. and what types of dress are suggested for each day of Recruitment.

The only people that you should take advice from, as far as what to bring or wear, is the Panhellenic office on your chosen campus. Recruitment is different on every campus and it is changing nationwide to a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere. After all, 20 years ago you probably would wear a nice suit to every day of Rush. Nowadays, you probably are going to wear shorts and sundresses almost every day.

As far as how to act during the Recruitment events the best advice is be yourself. Listen and act interested, ask many questions, meet as many sisters as you can and share your enthusiasm for Greek Life. Don't ask about fraternities, parties, drinking etc. Chapters are looking for grades, activities and a cooperative and outgoing personality. Learn about the groups nationally (there are links from my website to all 26 national groups) and ask questions about their philanthropies, national history, local programs and scholarships. As the week progresses and you find yourself really feeling welcome at one or more houses, don't be afraid to tell them how comfortable you feel with that chapter and how you'd be an asset to the chapter. Don't go overboard, but be honest with a member that you trust.

Good luck!
Barbara
VP-Alumnae Panhellenic of Tallahassee

[This message has been edited by PnguinTrax (edited July 26, 2000).]