GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,160
3 members and 1,157 guests
John, LaneSig

Old 12-19-2001, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Job Dilemma

I am in a bind, not a bad bind but a bind nonetheless.

For those who know, I graduated this past weekend. And a few weeks ago I was told by a managing editor at a Chicago newspaper that they were very interested, wanted to hire me and would contact me with a more precise job offer. That was a week ago from Monday, and because of paperwork and the holidays I have not heard back from them but have been reassured that they want to offer me a job through other contacts I have there. This paper is the third largest in the state and is a great learning ground.

Meanwhile, I interviewed over the phone with a smaller newspaper in Crystal River, Florida. However, from what I have seen about this paper I like. So, I get an email today saying they would like to complete the interview process by flying me down in January and showing me the community. I am very interested.

My question for all you professionals out there: How do I handle both?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2001, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to go through with this interview, but what is the professional way for handling two offers at one time? I dont want to do or say something that messes anything up!
Old 12-20-2001, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

In my profession-when we graduate we interview many places. Some people will pay for us to fly out long distances and I guess that in a way may make people feel guilty and feel like they have to take the job. I would say that you are interviewing a couple of different places-they probably will understand b/c most people do not put all their eggs in one basket plus this is true. If they get upset then I am not sure I would want to work for them. Simply be honest in my opinion-or maybe only offer this info. if they ask, don't volunteer it. Again though, I am not in the newspaper business, veterinary medicine may be a completely different ballgame.

I guess you could also look at it this way-are you the only one they are interviewing?

As far as the other offer can you call them and discuss the offer further-you can't wait forever and it is not fair for them to expect you to(o)-I can't remember if it is "too" in this situation-help me grammer queen)
Old 12-20-2001, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by aggieAXO
As far as the other offer can you call them and discuss the offer further-you can't wait forever and it is not fair for them to expect you to(o)-I can't remember if it is "too" in this situation-help me grammer queen)
Did somebody call for the grammar queen?

it's "to" in this situation. "too" is generally only used when it can be replaced with "also" - I'll be here all week, just call for me by name - "Grammar Queen"
Old 12-20-2001, 11:22 AM

Yo grammar queen, maybe you can help out my dilemma. Why don't they sell pabst double ducers? They just sell the 40's and that sucks
Old 12-20-2001, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

You take care of yourself FIRST. Plain and simple. You go on the interview in Florida if you want to. EVEN IF YOU GET THE JOB IN CHICAGO. EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY STARTED WORKING.

You need to take care of your self. It's a "high class" problem, having two wonderful job opportunities!

Don't think for a second that if a job hired you and a day later had to let you go that they wouldn't hesitate.

Even if you start a job and an hour later you decide to move to another opportunity, DO IT. It happens every day.

You have to look out for yourself.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:38 PM

DO IT. It's just like rush, you have to keep your options open. If you don't have a written job offer letter from the Chicago paper, you have nothing, and it is absolutely worth your while to pursue the other position. So, go down there and interview, and see who makes you an offer.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2001, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

AHHH thanks grammar queen, BTW explain effect and affect- I hate those and can never keep them straight.

QUOTE]Originally posted by KSig RC

Did somebody call for the grammar queen?

it's "to" in this situation. "too" is generally only used when it can be replaced with "also" - I'll be here all week, just call for me by name - "Grammar Queen"
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-02-2002, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I am Chi-town bound!

I will be covering cops in the Chicago suburbs and will start mid-next week. I am to work out a salary soon. I am so relieved things have worked out!

and ...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! (That was a scream of joy that I will no longer be unemployed and stuck at my parents' house!) I am feeling much better now!
Old 01-02-2002, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aggieAXO
[B]AHHH thanks grammar queen, BTW explain effect and affect- I hate those and can never keep them straight.

Effect is a noun! As in: The effects of the weather are numerous.

Affect is a verb! As in: The weather affects my sinuses.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:59 AM

AlphaChi,

Congratulations on the job. That's great.

Most of the advice you received was pretty good. As a former hiring manager, but more importantly as someone who has been in the workforce for many years, I must take exception to one thing someone said.

When you commit to a position, you have an obligation to follow through on that committment -- at least for a few months, maybe a year.

Remember this. If a manager offers you a job and you accept and then you back out, you have left that person in a bad position -- maybe in a real bind. And he/she will remember it. You never know when you'll run across that person again in your career. Maybe when he/she is in a position to offer you that dream job. Or maybe when that person becomes your immediate supervisor at the job you are in somewhere down the career path. Or maybe the next person you interview with is an old friend or professional pal of that manager.

Most industries are really very small in the overall scheme of things. Don't burn any bridges, because you never know who the gatekeeper at that next bridge will be.

Of course it is important to look out for yourself, but you can ruin your professional reputation very easily, and that will follow you for the rest of your career.

Stand by your committments.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Congrats on the job! Covering cops, sounds like you won't have a dull moment...
Old 01-03-2002, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

OHHHHH GIRRRRL I am sooooo jealous, I love men in uniforms. Congrats, stay safe and have fun.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:31 PM

Used to eat/drink with a lot of cops in different cities. Some great stories.

Good luck.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up bring on the donuts

in all seriousness, have a ball. cop beats are the best way to start and chicago is a wonderful town to work and play in. i did high school there. just stay warm and have a ball.
yes, it does get cold. heated socks are a good idea.
happy new year
mmcat