GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 308,601
Threads: 114,859
Welcome to our newest member, RuthieMcCo

Old 01-22-2004, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DG515 Send a message via Yahoo to DG515
Question Panhel Q

I'm on a small commuter campus with only two sororities (both panhel). It's always kind of been understood that if one of our chapters closes the other one has to close too (that one can't exist on campus without the other)......we were talking today (some sisters and i) and we were curious as to if this was a urban legend or what....does anyone know?? Would our chapter just have to return to the local that it was before it was colonized delta gamma? I don't recall ever hearing about a one-panhel-organization-campus...but that doesn't mean they don't exist........any help would be great!

I hate it when I start thinking about this stuff, because then it bugs me til I find out the answer :-D

Greek Love and Mine
~*~mandie~*~
Old 01-22-2004, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't think the other would have to close if one closed... and I happen to know there are universitities with only one panhel sorority... (The Iota Gamma Chapter of Phi Sig is the only Panhel. org at CSU Dominguez hills) They just recruit the first week with a "rush week" with a pref at the end... and COB the rest of the semester... I think Phi Sig has given them a "quota" (I know some of my sisters here on GC are from that chapter,help me out here..) but yeah I don't think both would have to close.

Last edited by Glitter650; 01-22-2004 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe what Glitter650 said is right -- there's no NPC requirement that a campus has to have two or more NPC chapters. As I recall from GC posts, there's only one NPC chapter at U of California-Santa Cruz, and there are GCers from at least two different schools in Wisconsin where (I think) only one NPC sorority is on campus.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I think GeekyPenguin has experience with just this thing..........I know she's online currently.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I think GeekyPenguin has experience with just this thing..........I know she's online currently.
A PANHELL question I can answer?!

Woo woo.

Theta Phi Alpha closed on UW-Platteville's campus several years ago. Gamma Phi Beta is still very much there. Another one-NPC campus is Beloit College in Wisconsin (AST) or UW-Milwaukee (again Gamma Phi Beta, although another NPC is coming.)

Panhell closed when TPA closed, and now we have a very loose governing organization called "Women's Greek Council" that really does nothing at all. We don't have formal rush, we just do informal - girls come to our house if they want, the locals if they want, etc - most girls just rush one sorority. We've been loners at UWP for most of our 35 years as Gamma Phi Beta, so you will not have to close, I promise.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
GeekyPenguin, I like your sig!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:22 AM

also, Emerson College is a 1 NPC campus.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Southern Utah is another campus like this. There used to be two NPC groups and a local but the other NPC group closed two years ago. Alpha Phi is still there and doing well.

Last edited by bruinaphi; 07-19-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Unregistered-

The University of Hawaii at Manoa is a medium-sized university, but Alpha Gamma Delta is the only NPC sorority on campus that has 3 local sororities. I know other NPCs have expressed interest in colonizing another NPC chapter, but AFAIK, none of the locals want to colonize and interest outside the Greek community has been weak. As far as Recruitment goes, AGD-Delta Sigma conducts theirs independently from the locals.

When it comes down to reporting numbers/information as far as things Panhellenic go, because we're the only Panhellenic organization, we go by our own facts and numbers.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 01-22-2004 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Gamma Phi Beta was the only Panhellenic sorority at CNU from 1988 until 1991 when Phi Mu came on board. And with that came a Panhellenic Council.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrincessHeather
I am at a school with a two Panhellenic Sorority Council. We have 6 locals though, who all work idendpently from Panhel.
Phi Sig was the only national until 1998, and that is when Panhellenic Council started. To my knowledge, prior to that time, my chapter was given a set quota/total from our national. It was set at 60, i think, and I think they hit it a few times, and that is why another national sorority came on.

There was a while there where the other national dropped really really low in numbers and almost closed but nothing was going to happen to us. Now we have the two nationals with total set at 35 (with us both at 32 members). the largest of the 6 locals is at about 18-22 members, the rest have an average of 5 members per sorority.