GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 761
0 members and 761 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

White after labor day?

What are your feelings on wearing white after labor day? Being in the South, I know it's taboo but I REALLY want to wear white after labor day because it's so darn hot.

If you do wear WALD, how do you wear it? Blazers? Pants? Dresses? Shoes (I don't think I could bring myself to do shoes)? Do you wear white-ish colors instead (creme that's almost white but not quite)?

I found these which I thought were interesting...

Does Labor Day Signal the End of Wearing White? from the Emily Post blog

Why Can't you Wear White After Labor Day?

Tacky?

Cute?

Last edited by snowflakemom; 08-03-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: sorry I don't know how to make the images smaller
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't wear white white much ever, even though I'm in the south because if I do, there is a 100% chance that I will spill, be spilled on, or otherwise ruin said article of clothing. I will wear off white or ivory from time to time because the amiblue law of physics only applies to stark white clothing. So, I'm good year round.

It does seem out of season to me pre-Easter or post-Labor Day, but I could not care less if someone wears it.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Picture #1: Tacky? Yes, at any time of year. Is that one of those Kardashian people?
Picture #2: Cute? I think so, but still summer only.
Picture #3: I don't think the rule applies to a white blouse/top worn with a suit, sweater, etc. That ensemble is pretty summery, but not soley due to the white blouse.
Pictures #4 and #5: summer only
Old 08-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Banned

I wear what I want when I want. I don't go by seasons or "rules." I wear white after Labor Day and sundresses year round (with shirts, leggings, boots, cardigans, blazers, etc).

My clothes.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

May I suggest we poll the membership? We could ask them:
Northern - YES -Wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Northern - NO -Do not wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Southern - YES -Wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Southern - NO -Do not wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Western - YES -Wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Western - NO -Do not wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Other - YES -Wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Other - NO -Do not wear white after Labor Day as a principle piece.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I wear what I want when I want. I don't go by seasons or "rules." I wear white after Labor Day and sundresses year round (with shirts, leggings, boots, cardigans, blazers, etc).

My clothes.
Hear, hear!
Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

White is okay until the Fall calendar season, which normally occurs near the end of September. Usually the weather is still warm and sunny, so white doesn't seem unusual or out-of-place.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wear what I want when I want. I don't go by seasons or "rules."
Word. In general, California doesn't have any clothing rules to begin with so we wear white whenever the mood strikes. I continue following this non-rule no matter where in the country I live. However, I tend to avoid white because I'm almost guaranteed to spill on myself if I'm wearing it but sometimes, I take a walk on the wild side.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

My clothes.

I agree entirely. And to suggest that some of these aren't appropriate after Labor Day because they're "summery" outfits doesn't really apply when living in Houston. Summer lasts through November.

Picture #1 above is a terrible outfit, and #4 is meh, but pictures #2, 3, and 5 would definitely be ok to wear past the beginning of September. Although, I don't think I could ever pull off white pants...

@~/~~~~
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Aaaaaand nobody even seems to know the origin of this "rule"...

http://content.time.com/time/nation/...920684,00.html

@~/~~~~
Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

My vote. No white after Labor Day. Being from the south we were taught that it was okay to wear white on Easter, but then had to put it away again until after Memorial Day. White blouses are okay year round. I'm even going to go so far as to say that white denim might, maybe, be okay paired with boots like one of the above pictures. I believe Michael Kors said that was okay last winter and denim is a thicker, year round fabric. Seersucker and Linen are two fabrics left to summer along with short shorts. Longer shorts are acceptable as long as the weather permits.

I work in human resources interviewing college grads for jobs with a big oil corporation. Yes, I do look at the clothes these recent graduates are wearing. White, Linen, seersucker, etc are not appropriate outside of the summer months when it is just too hot to wear anything else.

I understand that many young women want to be their own person and allow their own fashion flair to show through. But us old ladies are still doing the hiring after college.

And while I'm preaching, visible tattoos are still taboo! Many qualified college grads are being passed up for corporate positions because they like to buck the system.

Sorority girls spend a great deal of time and effort into perfecting their resumes and taking on leadership positions. Why shouldn't they perfect their fashion sense at the same time.

Please excuse the typos. Auto correct is killing me tonight.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
My vote. No white after Labor Day. Being from the south we were taught that it was okay to wear white on Easter, but then had to put it away again until after Memorial Day. White blouses are okay year round. I'm even going to go so far as to say that white denim might, maybe, be okay paired with boots like one of the above pictures. I believe Michael Kors said that was okay last winter and denim is a thicker, year round fabric. Seersucker and Linen are two fabrics left to summer along with short shorts. Longer shorts are acceptable as long as the weather permits.

I work in human resources interviewing college grads for jobs with a big oil corporation. Yes, I do look at the clothes these recent graduates are wearing. White, Linen, seersucker, etc are not appropriate outside of the summer months when it is just too hot to wear anything else.

I understand that many young women want to be their own person and allow their own fashion flair to show through. But us old ladies are still doing the hiring after college.

And while I'm preaching, visible tattoos are still taboo! Many qualified college grads are being passed up for corporate positions because they like to buck the system.

Sorority girls spend a great deal of time and effort into perfecting their resumes and taking on leadership positions. Why shouldn't they perfect their fashion sense at the same time.

Please excuse the typos. Auto correct is killing me tonight.
So you'd disqualify a candidate for wearing white after Labor Day, even if she had an impeccable resume and looked perfectly presentable?

Aren't we now taking this a bit too far?

@~/~~~~
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
So you'd disqualify a candidate for wearing white after Labor Day, even if she had an impeccable resume and looked perfectly presentable?

Aren't we now taking this a bit too far?
If I had two equal candidates for a job, I would choose the one who better dressed the part. If there was only one suitable applicant, then she would get the job. Yes, there are sloppy people who get jobs every day, but they are paid less and have less opportunity for growth. Unless of course they are geniuses and the job is locked away at corporate with little public exposure.

Plenty of college applicants are passed up for being too sexy or dressing like they are going to a night club instead of a job interview! Same goes for girls wearing summer fashion in the winter and fall.

Sorority recruitment has always been compared to a job interview. Girls need to put their best foot forward. You would have serious questions if a girls came into your house on first round looking like she is dressed for the bars. Wouldn't you?

First impressions are critical!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Not only does a lot of your logic not make sense, you just compared wearing white to being "dressed for the bars." The two are not nearly on the same level of impropriety so I'm having a tough time following you.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
If I had two equal candidates for a job, I would choose the one who better dressed the part. If there was only one suitable applicant, then she would get the job. Yes, there are sloppy people who get jobs every day, but they are paid less and have less opportunity for growth. Unless of course they are geniuses and the job is locked away at corporate with little public exposure.

Plenty of college applicants are passed up for being too sexy or dressing like they are going to a night club instead of a job interview! Same goes for girls wearing summer fashion in the winter and fall.

Sorority recruitment has always been compared to a job interview. Girls need to put their best foot forward. You would have serious questions if a girls came into your house on first round looking like she is dressed for the bars. Wouldn't you?

First impressions are critical!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
Not only does a lot of your logic not make sense, you just compared wearing white to being "dressed for the bars." The two are not nearly on the same level of impropriety so I'm having a tough time following you.
Exactly. I'm not seeing the logic/analogy here.

If wearing white disqualifies me for a job, then I really don't want that job. This is some made up rule that an unknown person or group of people created over 100 years ago, and you're going to hold that against a 22-year-old, well-qualified candidate, because they didn't learn while earning their bachelor's degree that wearing white past early-September is "inappropriate"?

O... k.....

@~/~~~~