GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,403
0 members and 1,403 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM

Hi! How active are alumnae chapters/members are? (New here)

Hi all =) I'm new on this forum and I've been reading lots of AI stories that really motivated me to become one too.

I just recently gradauted from a state school in a big city. I didn't know too much about sororities in my junior year (I was a transfer) and only rushed for one. I only rushed for one sorority but the timing wasn't right. After I gradauted, I regretted for not joining one. I was really active on campus. I really hoped for that special sisterhood bond, so when I learned about AI, I was excited about it and decided to embark my journey too. I know it will be a tough process but I'm willing to go through it.

But before choosing which sorority I would like to contact, does anyone know how active alumnae chapters are? I would like rush for chapters that are really involve or active in their area. How would I go about finding out? if not, is it possible to rush for a collegiate chapter and be active and helping about that chapter too? I'm only 23, turning 24. I hope I'm not too old.

Can any alumni shed some light as to how active their chapters usually are? Thanks a lot =)
Old 09-12-2006, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelica_arin View Post
I would like rush for chapters that are really involve or active in their area.

AIs do not "Rush". NPC groups have different policies on how to AI into their group, but many are "don't call us, we'll call you" kind of deals.

GC is not the Mall of the Sororities, please do not shop here.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

angelica_arin - you really do have the wrong idea about AI. Your heart seems to be in the right place but AI really isn't meant to be something you go "shopping" for-in fact, many organizations have strict policies regarding membership via AI.

I would hope that someone looking to join an organization through AI would already have a connection with that group. She would share a passion for their philanthropies and agree with their purpose & vision. She would not be so concerned about how active the alumnae chapter is now, but would instead challenge herself to bring a positive and helpful attitude no matter what happens.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 AM

See, I wouldn't call it "shop". I'm looking for an org that I can really contribute myself in than those that basically don't do much. Since I don't know much about what happens beyond college, it would be nice to know how active alumni chapters are.

I would want to join a chapter that I can contribute in, not just any sorority. So in a sense, I wouldn't call it "shopping" but "researching". I hope that clarifies my point. I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

Added: I also have friends that are in some NPC sororities. But since they are still in school, they don't know much about what goes beyond college.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Hon, you can call a duck a horse if you want to, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a duck. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.

ETA: Listen, I'm sorry to rain on your parade (man, I'm just full of cliches today, aren't I?), but this is the exact kind of thing that AI is NOT meant for.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 09-12-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Hon, you can call a duck a horse if you want to, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a duck. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's a duck.
My sentiments exactly. Researching organizations to join through AI is still shopping for an organization that best fits you-and although I don't completely disagree with this approach-you should understand that AI is usually pursued by an Alumnae chapter with a particular person in mind, or is pursued by someone that is already close to an organization.

If there isn't already an organization that you have a connection to whether it be through volunteering, family, etc. then you are an unlikely candidate for AI. The organization you mentioned in your original post, that you rushed your junior year, might be a likely candidate for AI assuming you went through open recruitment or similar events where you got to know the girls and the organization's values.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
See, I wouldn't call it "shop". I'm looking for an org that I can really contribute myself in than those that basically don't do much. Since I don't know much about what happens beyond college, it would be nice to know how active alumni chapters are.

I would want to join a chapter that I can contribute in, not just any sorority. So in a sense, I wouldn't call it "shopping" but "researching". I hope that clarifies my point. I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

Added: I also have friends that are in some NPC sororities. But since they are still in school, they don't know much about what goes beyond college.
Alumnae (the proper plural for female groups) chapters are different in every area of the US. My sorority has alum chapters that do multiple things every month...and chapters that are lucky if they meet the required 4 times a year. So it's impossible to say that (example) ASA is super active alum-wise, and AST doesn't do a thing.

Plus, you don't "rush" for an alumnae chapter. You are looking at it in the way things were in college, and they are two very different animals.

Additionally, some groups have age restrictions on AI - you may be too young.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
See, I wouldn't call it "shop".
It doesn't matter if you think it's shopping or not. It matters if the sorority members and (inter)national officers think that it's shopping because they are the ones who will potentially be voting on you.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 AM

Refer to Alphafrog: regardless of what you say, after all, this is my AI quest to search for the sorority which I can call home to and contribute to. Of course you would want to join a sorority who you can affiliate to, but you always want to join one that shares your ideas and goals. Not some group that you have friends in but you don't share goals together.

Though I admit it's a nice smack in the head to remind me and I thank you for that. Nonetheless, I stand firm with my beliefs. I'm definitely not going to contact so many sororities. I want to make sure the one I contact would be to one that would share my goals and also accept me for who I am.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I recommend you spend a lot of time looking at the NPC member's website and doing your research there, first. I would recommend you get involved locally in organizations that are of interest to you - not just the ones where you hope to meet sorority alumnae. Many groups do not do AI, many have stringent requirements that include multiple sponsors or a high level of community involvement or a legacy connection to the group. In other words, members go looking for AI candidates, not the other way around.

You might also want to look into Beta Sigma Phi or a professional organization related to your career. Build your volunteer resume, then investigate the possibility of AI.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM

Wow, thanks a lot for the info! That really opens up to a lot of options =) I really appreciate it PenguinTrax and BetaRose
Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree-- those are much better choices. AI into an NPC sorority is typically an experience reserved for someone who had a former link to a sorority (pledged but did not initiate, relative in the sorority, or a community leader). Some people without this level of attachment are invited to join, but it takes years of contacting and dead ends on their part. AI isn't something sororities solict to attract members.

Most sororities prefer their AI members to be older than fresh out of college. Alumnae associations are supportive networks who do semi-regular community service projects-- there is usually one big fundraiser. Some have semi-regular social events like wine tastings or pottery throwing or out to dinner; most others have one big event that doubles as a fundraiser. There's not much ritual or "bonding" on the alumane level b/c the group doesn't meet formally; everything is fairly a la carte and come along if you want to.

The choices above will give you a higher level of activity and interaction with others. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the advice. Actually after viewing some of those links, maybe it is a better option than going for a NPC AI since those sororities that betarose posted are more suited for me who would like to have lifelong friendships with others and also being involved in the community =)
Old 09-12-2006, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You can pretty much contribute to any chapter that you join. It only takes one or two people for a chapter to go from not very active to incredibly active.

This is a bad reason for choosing a group.

And you sound like a troll too........
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe we should have BetaRose's list stickied o the top of the forum? That might help solve all kinds of challenges.