GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,420
0 members and 2,420 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I was actually waiting for this one. Some people may have guessed based on my user name that I live in the Middle East (where we KNOW what war is). Our weekend is Friday and Saturday, so Thursday evening is the beginning of our weekend.
We know. That idiot does not know.

By the way, I'm in North America and my weekend is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So, Thursday evening is the beginning of my weekend. My weekend used to be Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

I wonder how many "normal people" around the world do not have (what other cultures consider) weekends at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtender91 View Post
Their foundations a good, but it's not what it could be. I just want to help build greek life on my campus and give these girls a place where they feel safe. they're all leaving these organizations because they don't feel that family bond. I'm sorry you all don't agree, but I just wanted to try. All of your sororities were started from scratch, what's wrong with something like that happening now?
We don't care. This thread is now about telling you how young and dumb you are.

Find Greeks' advice, that you agree with 100%, somewhere other than Greekchat. And don't try to create a new username and ask for advice.

Last edited by DrPhil; 10-06-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Their foundations a good, but it's not what it could be. I just want to help build greek life on my campus and give these girls a place where they feel safe. they're all leaving these organizations because they don't feel that family bond. I'm sorry you all don't agree, but I just wanted to try. All of your sororities were started from scratch, what's wrong with something like that happening now?
You need to stop. Right now. You don't know the first damn thing about the foundations of ANY greek organizations.

You just made me curse in my letters.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How do you even know what our foundations are? your not greek!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think there's a problem here in that she doesn't realize there are a LOT of sororities that are not NPC and offer a very different kind of experience that she wouldn't be required to reinvent. Some of us, while new to GC, kind of thought the only Greek experience was our own. I, for instance, never really thought of locals, service fraternities, professional fraternities, etc. as REAL Greek enterprises. Using the service fraternities as an example, yeah, their little group does some good things, but it's not like it's lifetime membership or your brothers matter to you beyond college or anything.

Obviously I've learned a lot here and I think I can counsel potential members about considering a variety of alternatives beyond the 26 NPC sororities. I can't say this or that group is better, worse or should be avoided, but I CAN say there are some great alternatives out there that you may not have considered.

A casual reader may be very surprised to see the gender, race and age differences that flourish here and the variety of organizations represented. But hey, 50 different voices that all say the same thing but don't agree with you are probably all wrong.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Obviously I've learned a lot here and I think I can counsel potential members about considering a variety of alternatives beyond the 26 NPC sororities. I can't say this or that group is better, worse or should be avoided, but I CAN say there are some great alternatives out there that you may not have considered.
Are you only talking about locals, service fraternities, professional fraternities here?

Just in case you are not, when it comes to NPHC, I ask that nobody counsel people about considering NPHC organizations. We are not alternatives and we are not second options.

As far as the OP is concerned she doesn't need any counsel. She just needs to have a seat and learn some things before she tries to draw conclusions.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
My point is that our sororities are not about building bonds or friendships, it's all cat fights and who hates who on campus. I want to change this
Let me pull out my handy 'GC-to-English dictionary'...ah, yes, here it is:

"I didn't get a bid".
Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

DrPhil, I would never presume to tell someone what NPHC life is like, but if someone says all sororities suck because of x,y and z that makes it sound like she has only considered NPC sororities, I would probably say, have you looked at NPHC, mult-cultural, non-academic, service, whatever? There are a lot of ways to have that lifetime bond that are not NPC and in no way are a consolation prize and that's exactly what I was getting at. I can imagine the crucifixion if a girl had an unsuccessful NPC rush and I said, well have you considered AKA? YIKES. But that girl who says she went through NPC rush and just didn't feel it, well that may be a time for her to consider other avenues, including NPHC.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have a group of 15 girls that want to start a sorority, but don't know where to start. Just thought I could get a little help
Psst... scroll down to the bottom of this page. There's an area that lists threads that may be of interest.

And yes, we are here to help, but not spoon-feed. There are a TON of threads if you just search.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry this thread had to turn into this, I didn't want to be spoon fed, I just wanted an idea of where to start. I'm not an idiot and I have gotten a bid to sororities, I just didn't like how the girls themselves treated everyone inside and outside of their sorority. I am now a pledge for the APO service fraturnity and those friendships will go beyond college, I've seen it happen. I just felt like I could use some help with getting the bylaws written. Thank you anyway, I just really wanted some help because I am young and it is going to be a new sorority. We have a name, a moto, a philanthropy. We know that's not even the majority of what we need, we just wanted some help with bylaws. I've looked through the other threads and I was having difficulty still on even seeing where to start.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
DrPhil, I would never presume to tell someone what NPHC life is like, but if someone says all sororities suck because of x,y and z that makes it sound like she has only considered NPC sororities...
Why do you assume that?

Quote:
...I would probably say, have you looked at NPHC, mult-cultural, non-academic, service, whatever? But that girl who says she went through NPC rush and just didn't feel it, well that may be a time for her to consider other avenues, including NPHC.
Please don't, for the reasons I stated. People don't need to be directed to us.

Last edited by DrPhil; 10-06-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not an idiot and I have gotten a bid to sororities, I just didn't like how the girls themselves treated everyone inside and outside of their sorority. I am now a pledge for the APO service fraturnity and those friendships will go beyond college, I've seen it happen. I just felt like I could use some help with getting the bylaws written. Thank you anyway, I just really wanted some help because I am young and it is going to be a new sorority. We have a name, a moto, a philanthropy. We know that's not even the majority of what we need, we just wanted some help with bylaws. I've looked through the other threads and I was having difficulty still on even seeing where to start.
LOL.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Why do you keep commenting on this feed if you're not willing to help?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not an idiot and I have gotten a bid to sororities, I just didn't like how the girls themselves treated everyone inside and outside of their sorority. I am now a pledge for the APO service fraturnity and those friendships will go beyond college, I've seen it happen. I just felt like I could use some help with getting the bylaws written. Thank you anyway, I just really wanted some help because I am young and it is going to be a new sorority. We have a name, a moto, a philanthropy. We know that's not even the majority of what we need, we just wanted some help with bylaws. I've looked through the other threads and I was having difficulty still on even seeing where to start.
1. You got A bid to sororities? How does that work? Seriously, a woman can only get one bid from one sorority at a time. How many times have you been through recruitment?

2. If your only experience is recruitment, how do you know how the sorority women treat one another?

3. Fraternity, not fraturnity. If you're in one, you need to know how to spell it.

4. You don't believe sisterhood extends past college? This is news to me. Are there sisters that I haven't heard from in years? Yes. Are there sisters that are my dearest friends? Yes. Same as in any other group that I've been a part of in my life.

5. Motto, not moto

All that being said, focus on pledging your fraternity. Learn how that works before you start to try to build something new. You really have a lot to learn. I'd also suggest getting to know some sorority women on your campus on a personal basis.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why do you keep commenting on this feed if you're not willing to help?
Isn't that sweet? She thinks it's her thread.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think that, being involved with a GLO, the OP would have access to a constitution and bylaws.

#ThingsThatMakeYouGoHmmm