GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,554
1 members and 1,553 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Dying Chapter-Help!

Hi i'm Reesie from the Gamma Alpha chapter. We currently have 24 girls in our chapter with a total of 35 but are losing 11 or 12 to graduation to girls transferring to Penn State Main Campus.

What are some recruiting things other chapters have done to help get their numbers up?

Thanks! <3
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you contacted National Office?? I promise they're not scary and they are very helpful, moreso than anyone on here can be. It's okay to ask for help.

Θ Φ Α

Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gwen1982 Send a message via Yahoo to gwen1982
Have you talked to your Recruitment Captain? They are there to help you! If you aren't sure who your Captain is, message me and I'll get you the info. You can also contact the National Recruitment Chairman or the Director of Chapter Programs. Their info is on the National Roster available on the National website.

**You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies. - Dr. Who**
Old 02-01-2011, 03:44 AM

Crashing, because I have a dumb question (because my sorority has a chapter there too):

Do these girls know when they join that they'll be transferring after two years? I thought the only reason chapters got chartered at Behrend in the first place by any groups was because the majority of the students were going to be there all 4 years since it had some special majors that Main Campus does not.

Do people start going there with the intention of being there for one of the aforementioned special majors and then end up changing their major? Or are people just using Behrend like it's one of the other branches? I thought that was a no-no and just hard in general (i.e. getting into Behrend is not like getting into a garden variety branch campus).
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Reesie!

I’m an AST and I attended Penn State Behrend as well (from 2002-2006). Actually.. you’re friends with a lot of my friends through Facebook.. I see your name pretty frequently on pictures and status updates (I’m not stalking you, I swear! You just have one of those names that stands out! ). We may have even met before... Sorry if I don't remember!

My chapter was actually down to about 4 girls a few semesters before I joined, and while I was active, I only saw the chapter reach 19 sisters once.. we initiated 9 in the spring, then lost 6 who were graduating. On average, I’d say my chapter had about 11-12 sisters during my active years and for a year or two before and after that. And your chapter probably hovered just a little higher than we did at that time.

It’s tough being a small chapter, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say you’re dying just yet. We do, unfortunately, have the problem of girls transferring to the main campus, and my chapter has definitely dealt with that… however, losing 11 or 12 girls because of both graduation and transfers is a lot to take in.

I worked as my chapter’s recruitment advisor after I graduated, but I left in March of 2010. I know that the recruitment structure has changed in just that short amount of time, so I have a few questions:

1) I heard fall recruitment is now more structured. How exactly is it set up?

2) Do all of the chapters still participate in the recruitment kick-off in the spring semester?

3) Is spring informal recruitment still the same – lasts for 2-3 weeks, as many events as you’d like, a set bid day but each chapter does what they want, when they want… and can bid girls after that?

4) Have you already had bid day this semester? Or by mentioning that total is at 35, are you saying that you still have room for 11 new members this semester?

5) On average, how many PNMs have come through recruitment (between all 3 chapters, if you know this information), both last semester and this one?

Before you answer any of these questions, I’ll say at least give you this piece of advice – talk to some of your alumnae. They know what it’s like to be in a smaller chapter, and what it’s like to have to build it up. The number of PNMs between all 3 chapters has grown substantially in just the couple years, so sisters who graduated fairly recently will have some idea of what it’s like to work from the ground up.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-01-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Crashing, because I have a dumb question (because my sorority has a chapter there too):

Do these girls know when they join that they'll be transferring after two years? I thought the only reason chapters got chartered at Behrend in the first place by any groups was because the majority of the students were going to be there all 4 years since it had some special majors that Main Campus does not.

Do people start going there with the intention of being there for one of the aforementioned special majors and then end up changing their major? Or are people just using Behrend like it's one of the other branches? I thought that was a no-no and just hard in general (i.e. getting into Behrend is not like getting into a garden variety branch campus).
Sorry for the double-post, but...

In my experience, I've come across many different situations when it comes to girls transferring. I started out my college career intending to go into Plastics Engineering - a major only offered at Behrend (and maybe 12 other colleges in the U.S.!).. I quickly decided to change to Aerospace Engineering - which I'd only be able to finish at the main campus. When I started going through recruitment, this was still my intention and my chapter knew this. However, I decided to change my major once again (and eventually - after a few more changes of heart - ended up in Political Science) and didn't transfer.

I don't know that I've ever really thought about the percentage of people that transfer from Behrend to the main campus vs. other campus' students transferring there, but I would have to guess that it is significantly less. However, it does still happen within the sororities.

I've seen girls join a sorority in their second semester of school and know that they're going to transfer in a year and a half... I've seen girls join the semester before they're transferring... I've known girls who thought they were going to stay at Behrend, then decide at the last minute they're going to leave.. basically, I've seen it all.

The thing to remember is that, for the most part, the chapters haven't been at, or near total, sometimes for many semesters at a time - which is a whole different discussion that we won't get into right now So when you have 15 spots, and 10 girls you want to bid, 2 of which you KNOW are planning to transfer to the main campus, you take them. It's not like at other schools where there is extreme competition for a certain number of spots.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-01-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
The thing to remember is that, for the most part, the chapters haven't been at, or near total, sometimes for many semesters at a time - which is a whole different discussion that we won't get into right now So when you have 15 spots, and 10 girls you want to bid, 2 of which you KNOW are planning to transfer to the main campus, you take them. It's not like at other schools where there is extreme competition for a certain number of spots.
Yeah, I know that's true. I just wanted to be reassured that it hadn't gotten to the point that Behrend = New Ken/Beaver/DuBois etc etc.

We have a chapter at Pitt-Johnstown and not at Pitt Main and it's kind of the same deal - although I know people from my hometown who have actually transferred from Main to UPJ. (We won't get into the semi-xenophobia of that though. )
Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shannakate
Hi Reesie!

I'm Shanna, from the Gamma Theta chapter, and I know how you feel. We currently are at 11 girls, with three potential coming in this semester, but four are graduating, and I am transferring schools. We had a TEC come visit us for our recruitment period, and she really did help us out with how to recruit. We're still really low, compared to all the other chapters on campus, but we're trying! Maybe call Nationals and talk to them, maybe they can send the TEC to you as well to help with the recruitment process, or what to do in order to recruit more girls.

I really hope everything works out! YITBOS <3