GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,067
3 members and 1,064 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib

Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I e-mailed her.. forgot to attach my resume though.. But when she replies I guess I can send it.. Was my charming old self in the e-mail so I hope she responds soon Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

May I ask where in Europe you happen to be living now? Your expressions suggest the UK and if so you might try contacting the London Greek Alumnae association. The University Women's Club on South Audley Street could probably help you get in touch.
Good Luck
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

You are definitely going to be one of those pnms who stand out! I suggest that you write a brief summary or autobiography to explain how/why/ etc of your circumstances overseas. It doesn't have to be heavy stuff, just an explanation with highlights of your life. If I was contacted by the alum assoc to write you a rec, I would really like to know more about your life and including this along with your resume might be a good idea.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Random, but aren't terms like "former member" and "former student" instead of "alumni/a" common in southern states?

Example: I've seen bumper stickers that say "Texas A&M Former Student Asssociation."

Texas A&M has a Former Student Association because so many of their students left before graduating due to WWI - II, and they didn't want to exclude those who answered their country's call. Or so I'm told.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxme View Post
^^^^^^^^
I wish! London is my absolute favorite city... I am actually living in the Artic Tundra (well almost! LOL!) of Oslo, Norway. But I will check it out as my best friend lives in London!
Randomly, I've heard "war stories" about passing the test to get a driver's license in Norway. Now that would be a great story to tell during recruitment!

Good luck to you.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Randomly, I've heard "war stories" about passing the test to get a driver's license in Norway. Now that would be a great story to tell during recruitment!

Good luck to you.
Thank you! Oh it's not just the weather.. getting your license also costs around 3000 dollars... not exactly chump change! so I got mine in Texas.. might as well get some perks for being all over the place
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The thing about starting to tell them about my life is that I'm afraid it will come out a little self-centred, even though I don't mean to be. There's just a lot of "I" in it LOL!

Main thing is that my father is in the oil/shipping business and we've travelled to all parts of the world for example; France, South Africa and various other places.. It did affect my school work in high school(I went from a 2.8 to a 3.1), but have managed to maintain a 3.0 the first year of college, as well as working part-time, both here(as a receptionist) and abroad where I taught underprivileged children English. So that's a bit about me. I see myself as a pretty well-rounded person, and the main reason I want to join a sorority is to maximize my college experience and build a good network of close friends that I know I can rely on.

As an alumna, would you have written a rec for someone like me if I had written that in a biography addressed to you Gee_ees?
I can't answer for Gee_eess, but I definitely see that type of real life experience as good as, if not better than, having an outstanding GPA! What a wonderful experience, at such a "young" age!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The thing about starting to tell them about my life is that I'm afraid it will come out a little self-centred, even though I don't mean to be. There's just a lot of "I" in it LOL!
I would hope your life story had a lot of "I" in it, otherwise the story isn't about you. The point is a Rec writer wants to know about your life history, your achievements, talents/skills, interests, goals, and your personality.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, a resounding yes, to wanting to know your story if I was your rec writer. Your rec writer needs to know you! Your summary/autobiographical sketch will give the writer a chance to get to know you and your story. She will learn the why of your situation, the where of your travels, the why of your reason to attend LSU, etc.

Your story and background are going to be a key component in your recruitment, imo. You will be remembered as the girl from Norway who lived all over Europe, etc. Your conversations will be different than other pnms and that is a good thing.

As a sidenote - I rarely tell pnms to write an attached explanation of their circumstances unless something major has occurred in her life that needs to be included as a complement to her resume. But this is one of those times. I think a lot of questions can be answered and more information can be provided than in a resume alone. Plus, since these alums are not your personal acquaintances, you did not attend hs in the area, etc. you need this as another way for the alums to get to know you. (which, in turn, will help the actives get to know you)

I hope you will come back and tell us how recruitment goes for you!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I just checked the LSU website to see if they had posted any info about the panhellenic teas that they do around the area. It seems like I recall seeing one in Houston listed last year. We attended one in our area in March last year. Maybe you will get lucky and be there around the same time. Keep checking the website.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Yes, a resounding yes, to wanting to know your story if I was your rec writer.
I agree 100%! You absolutely should tell your story to your rec writers as that will help them tremendously when writing your rec. You want to stand out and be remembered, and you definitely have the back story to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
I hope you will come back and tell us how recruitment goes for you!
Absolutely agree here too. However, the word of caution: you have already posted enough information that women from LSU who are reading these boards (and believe me.. they are) will know who you are when you come through recruitment. I just can't imagine that there will be 2 girls from Norway who will be securing recs through the Houston alumnae chapter! Therefore, you need to be very, very careful around here. It is perfectly fine to just read and lurk. All the information that you need is here somewhere. There have been plenty of naive PNMs who have had their recruitment ruined by posting ridiculous stuff on these boards. You have a unique story that will aid in conversations during recruitmen, but that same unique story has identified you around here.

Best of luck to you! Please come back and share your experience after the fact.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Totally agree with Blondie93.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well then.. I am officially going to be a lurker from now on Not that I think I would say something very stupid, but then again at this point (like you say Blondie93) I guess I'm outed LOL! I will give yall an update in ohhh say about six months? Until then ladies! (I'll be lurking in the shadows! ) Thanks again for all your help.. and I'll be editing out the first post
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Advice from a former expat

I too grew up overseas, from the ripe old age of ten months old, and had no problems rushing when I came back to the states for college. I graduated from the American School of the Hague, and several other friends of mine rushed as well. It takes a little bit of extra work (and postage) because your are not actually in the states, but there are alumni groups and former student groups for universities, soririties, and panhellenic in general located in places all over the world. You will be surprised which of your teachers, friends' parents, etc. may be able to help you, or write you a rec. PM me if you want. Sorry to respond so late, haven't been on here in forever.