GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,800
0 members and 1,800 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Did you finally affiliate with the Kappa Sigma chapter at Arkansas? By your own admission, you weren't affiliated with them last year; even saying that you refused to affiliate with them. So who are you voting on for bids?

///In before the lock.////
Thanks for quoting that so I could actually read that post.

My post that he quoted went completely over his head. That's interesting yet not surprising.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This whole thread makes me think that the national officers of these folks proud of their "wealth" and "elitism" might be pretty embarrassed that some of their chapters actually feel this way. What ever happened to being founded upon brotherhood, friendship, excellence, academics, and community service? Can you only find that in the "elite" chapters in the South or the "untraditional" chapters in the North? Absolutely not! Having worked with over 40 chapters of my organization all over the country, I can say that each area has it's distinct climate but in each part you can find our values reflected in those women. Who is to say that my sisters at 'Bama and those at the University of Pittsburgh don't believe in the same things? It is AMAZING when we have national conferences because these young women do realize that they share similar values and interests with people all over the country. I understand that I'm speaking of a sorority here, so just to drive the point home, here are some excerpts from fraternity mission statements.

Phi Delta Theta: "The cultivation of friendship among its members, the acquirement individually of a high degree of mental culture, and the attainment personally of a high standard of morality."

"Beta Theta Pi is dedicated to building men of principle for a principled life. Our brotherhood aids the individual, builds the Fraternity and strengthens the host academic institution through lifelong devotion to intellectual excellence, high standards of moral conduct and responsible citizenship."

Sigma Nu: "To develop ethical leaders inspired by the principles of Love, Honor and Truth. To foster the personal growth of each man’s mind, heart and character. To perpetuate lifelong friendships and commitment to the Fraternity."

"Pi Kappa Alpha is dedicated to developing men of integrity, intellect, and high moral character and to fostering a truly lifelong fraternal experience."

I don't understand how one could value a chapter's selectivity or reputation over living up to what the founders intended for the group?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
What y'all don't get is how you come off sounding. Bows and Toes, I'm sure if your dad read your last post, he'd cringe at much of what you say. You are young, and you don't understand nuance.

When you talk about wealth and exclusivity, it sounds ridiculous to me because you have earned nothing - your father has. It is great that you respect him, I'm sure he appreciates it. But, I'm also sure he would be disappointed if he knew that he had created a monster - a snob.

I was raised to appreciate where I was, what I had, and where I came from, but to never look down on others because it is a short fall with a few mis-steps. I hope I have instilled the same values in my children. I'll tell you that the first time I hear any ticky-tacky, classless garbage coming out of any of their mouths, will be the last!
The problem is, raised as members of the upper class, we are taught these things. How to have the same work ethic as our ancestors. Alot of us aren't given brand-new SUV's because we are given the old work truck until we earn it. We're taught to respect property. I worked in the cotton fields from when I was 10 till I was 17 because my parents, as well off as they are, aren't going to give me money easily. Don't assume that we are given everything. One of my good friends who's family owns several yachts doesn't own a car, because things don't come that easy unless he's willing to work for it and he's not.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
The problem is, raised as members of the upper class, we are taught these things. How to have the same work ethic as our ancestors. Alot of us aren't given brand-new SUV's because we are given the old work truck until we earn it. We're taught to respect property. I worked in the cotton fields from when I was 10 till I was 17 because my parents, as well off as they are, aren't going to give me money easily. Don't assume that we are given everything. One of my good friends who's family owns several yachts doesn't own a car, because things don't come that easy unless he's willing to work for it and he's not.
"I was born a poor black child..."

Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
People are judged by many circumstances not purely on wealth, but generally influenced by wealth. Where they are from, who they know, their manners and ettiquette, their character, their dress, and their actions go into a bid.
Quote:

Spend less time pondering the flaws in capitalism and more time pondering the flaws in your own families work ethic.
Certainly you see the irony here, right?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Husky, along those lines - here is Robert E Lee's definition of a gentleman, which is the code of the Kappa Alpha Order:

The forbearing use of power does not only form a touchstone, but the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman.

The power which the strong have over the weak, the employer over the employed, the educated over the unlettered, the experienced over the confiding, even the clever over the silly--the forbearing or inoffensive use of all this power or authority, or a total abstinence from it when the case admits it, will show the gentleman in a plain light

The gentleman does not needlessly and unnecessarily remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He cannot only forgive, he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past. A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others.

These ideals are what I would hope my son would model his life after.

I know that this creed resonated with my son, he sent it to me in an email where he spoke of what his fraternity means to him.

I would hope that it is not all a ruse, where he is instead in some snobatorium which will change him from the young man of good moral character and values that I know into a "fratty" type that is represented by many of these posts. That tragedy would far outweigh any "connections" he might be making.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
He was born dirt poor to a barefoot mamma and a drunken daddy. If he had money, he wouldn't talk about it. How do you spell, INFERIORITY COMPLEX???