GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,967
0 members and 1,967 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Texas daughter's *actual* recruitment '11

Now that we've talked all about food, here's the actual Rush thread! It will be a not-quite-live recruitment thread since everyone already knows my daughter is a sophomore and in a spirit group. So for now at least, it’ll be about a day behind.

“Zoe” had a great first day! Despite the fact that she’s a sophomore and can’t help but know a little about each sorority, she really kept an open mind and was able to look at each group with fresh eyes and without any bias based on rumors or reps she’s heard about each chapter. All in all, she says that conversation went well and there were no awkward moments or lapses in conversation all day. She said she used literally EVERYTHING in her well-stocked rush kit except for safety pins! She was surprised how many girls didn’t bring things like band-aids, compacts, etc., and the thing she shared the most were the throat drops; I guess not many people brought those either. The Frosty Towels made a huge difference, so thanks, SWTXBelle, for that suggestion! I also included Evian spray (but no mini-fan) and she says she didn’t get sweaty at all – and she has hair all the way down her back.

She’ll be getting her Round 2 (Philanthropy) invites around the time I post this, but I won’t hear from her until parties are over tonight. She has a max of 10 invites, but the parties are divided up between tonight and tomorrow. When FR started, there were a record 1098 PNMs. My code is in no particular order, but I will leave them ordered the same way for each round so it’s easier to keep track.

Fajitas:They’re not participating in FR, but I didn’t want to leave fajitas (the food!) out! But as far as the current process, they’re out…
Iced tea:Zoe talked to a couple of really nice girls. This is a big house (as in number of girls, not necessarily the house itself), and the girls she talked to were really cute and personable. No recs for this house.
BBQ brisket:Zoe didn’t like this house, though its reputation is waaay up there. They clearly didn’t care about talking to girls; their minds were clearly made up regarding their first-round cuts.
Chicken-fried steak:Though Zoe was paired with a cute girl who was also very athletic, like Zoe, she found her to be really superficial. Again, this is a ‘top’ house, but it just wasn’t a fit for Zoe.
Blue Bell ice cream:Zoe talked to a couple of girls and really, really liked it here. She didn’t go into detail beyond saying she had good conversations and felt very comfortable.
Fried okra:Loooooooved them. She has several friends in this house and met someone new tonight.
Shiner beer:Zoe did not like Shiner. The conversation was awkward and, unfortunately, one of the girls who rushed her had really, really bad breath – so bad it was distracting.
Breakfast taco:Another house with a great reputation but not somewhere that Zoe felt comfortable.
Pecos cantaloupe:Really liked this house. She has a lot of mutual friends with the girls here and knows some girls in the chapter. So far not in her top 5, but she would be happy to go back again and learn more.
Fried catfish:Zoe says the Fried Catfish girls were “cute, nice and laid-back,” and she really liked this house. She has a couple of friends in here as well, though she didn’t see them today.
Texas sheet cake:Loved them. She spent a lot of time with these girls during Roundup in the spring and has a couple of close friends in here. Along with Fried okra, Texas sheet cake is a fave.
Fletcher's corn dog:Was surprised at how much she liked this house. She says the girls were cute but maybe a little overly made-up, but she thought they were really nice and easy to talk to. Unfortunately, we think her rec letter for this house didn’t come through, though we aren’t completely sure.
Frito pie:Zoe described the Frito pie girls as “cute and casual,” which is a lot like Zoe herself. She enjoyed her conversation here and is hoping to go back.
Dr. Pepper:Zoe doesn’t know anyone here but has mutual friends with a lot of the girls in this chapter. She says that one of the girls she talked to seemed a little fake, but in general they were cute and nice.

They had to rank 10 in the number-1 spot and list which 3 they liked the least, in order. Her least-liked was Shiner beer; second least-liked was Breakfast tacos; third least-liked was Chicken-fried steak. She really liked almost all of the other houses, but she really, really wants to get invites back from Fried okra, Texas sheet cake and Fletcher's corn dog, but thinks that Fletcher’s will probably be a no-go if she doesn’t have a rec. As of right now, though, she feels like there are nine or ten houses where she could be really happy. Texas really does have an amazing roster of GLOs, and Zoe knows this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I don't know much about Texas food...I wish your daughter the best time ever!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

i am starving now!!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to Zoe!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Zoe got 7 invites out of a possible 10, and ALL are houses that she would be thrilled to be a part of! In fact, if bids were determined by putting all her current groups in a hat and pulling one out, she'd be fine with it... I'll update after the Philanthropy Round, which is tonight and tomorrow. She is psyched!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

hooray for zoe!!
Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Wary - Congratulations on your daughter's invites back to Philanthropy Round. As a word of advice, I suggest that you edit your post and delete/edit any comment that you would not want said about your own chapter. Good luck to Zoe!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wary View Post
Zoe got 7 invites out of a possible 10, and ALL are houses that she would be thrilled to be a part of! In fact, if bids were determined by putting all her current groups in a hat and pulling one out, she'd be fine with it... I'll update after the Philanthropy Round, which is tonight and tomorrow. She is psyched!
qfp
Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Go fried okra!

Can't wait to read more - good luck to your daughter (and to you too....it's not easy being in your shoes, either!).
Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

i made texas sheet cake for my husband's birthday yesterday. yum yum!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm waiting til Bid Day to update. Today is Skits, tomorrow Prefs. All I will say now is that her favorites are still in, and she's very excited! So far, so good.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

what wonderful news!! good luck to zoe!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hoping the best for her!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hoping Zoe's pref is great tonight and rooting for Frito Pie and Dr Pepper off the list...my personal favorites!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a displaced Texan and really craving fried okra right now. But I've got to root for Texas sheet cake because there's a restaurant chain here in Phoenix called Zoe's Kitchen that makes the BEST Texas sheet cake outside of Texas. Good luck!!