GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,269
0 members and 1,269 guests
No Members online

Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And this is an unfortunate misspelling:
"I had a 3.0, but after this summer it may drop. Will that effect me?"

Some may think it nit-picky, but for cryin' out loud, this is a university! They should have chosen the correct word!
Well, I was just perusing the website of my former company last night and they had page after page of employees talking about their "favorite past time." (And their answers were things like baseball, knitting, etc., not "the Dark Ages" or "The Roaring Twenties.")
Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter will be going through rush at Auburn. I was not in a sorority so this is our first rodeo. I found out on Friday night that we didn't put enough postage on the envelopes that went to the alums for rec letters. So I have been texting, emailing and face booking all our rec ladies asking them if they noticed the wrong postage. Some did some didn't so I'm trying to get it all corrected. I have about one week to figure it out.

I love all the recruitment stories and have learned a lot from them. When I try to tell my daughter all the tips she will listen for about two minutes. She is not anxious about anything yet and I want to keep it that way. However, I do want her to be prepared. Open mind but not a blank slate, so to speak.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Brittin, we know you are worried and anxious about the whole recruitment process. My 2 cents worth of advice .... try not to get more involved in this whole thing than your daughter is. IF it is not so important to her, don't let it wreck your peace of mind! You can lead the horse to water. Probably really easy for me to say, since I am not a mom. Take a deep breath!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

I am a mom and that is good advice. If Brittin's daughter is anything like mine was, she is trying to sever the last thread of apron strings as most baby birds do who are leaving the nest to go off to college, so she will not be eager to listen to advice from mom. They want to keep us at arms length, but that doesn't last long (for us it was over by Thanksgiving).If you wait and let her ask the questions, she may be more receptive to listening. For all you know, she might be secretly reading about Auburn recruitment on Greekchat, and just doesn't want you to know-they do that sometimes. And Brittin, you are so right to understand that you might get on her nerves, no matter how important the message. Just be patient with her, and let her take the wheel. Good luck to your daughter!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Brittin,

My daughter is also rushing this fall and like your family it is our first. I have been stressing and reading and actually making myself sick over recruitment and she hasn't been worried a bit. Suddenly yesterday she tells me she's been reading on here, has all her "ducks in a row" and is ready. She promises she's not dropping out of school if she doesn't get a certain chapter and she would really rather be Greek than nothing. She said if she doesn't get a bid she will be fine. I am going to relax and let her handle it. Evidently I am stressing over nothing. Good luck to your daughter.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnmmom View Post
Brittin,

My daughter is also rushing this fall and like your family it is our first. I have been stressing and reading and actually making myself sick over recruitment and she hasn't been worried a bit. Suddenly yesterday she tells me she's been reading on here, has all her "ducks in a row" and is ready. She promises she's not dropping out of school if she doesn't get a certain chapter and she would really rather be Greek than nothing. She said if she doesn't get a bid she will be fine. I am going to relax and let her handle it. Evidently I am stressing over nothing. Good luck to your daughter.
I am not a PNM mom - but I do have a view from the trenches, and this is good advice. Remember - whether you have not been through it or been through it somewhere else or somewhen else, recruitment is always changing. Auburn is an SEC recruitment, but not as crazy competitive as Arkansas or Alabama. There are so many great groups and they are competitively friendly. Girls can join different groups and still find time for outside activities and friends after recruitment.

The best advice here is that DD feels good about herself and her prospects from day 1, as she will project that and make the best impression. If she has friends already in sororities, they can help her with this the most, because they can help her thing about what she wants out of her years in a sorority and they can help her figure out what group she might feel most comfortable in.

Also - she may have recommendations and not know it. The girls are working hard to find information on the women going through recruitment - especially if they know them already or they have a great overall package.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Our recruitment director just sent out a list of all the girls registered so far with their hometowns and high schools, and there's 1301 on the list so far. Getting excited for #aurec14 (awesome hashtag!)
Old 07-21-2014, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Out of curiosity, how does that compare to last year at this time? More, the same, less?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe we had 1100 going into recruitment last year. The overall number of freshmen is up this year,
Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Brittin, I will share something with you that my recent AU graduate said she appreciated during her rush week. I gave her a box to open the first day of rush. It was filled with notes of encouragement to be opened everyday. I included silly old pictures, or little happy's that would fit in envelopes. I even wrote one day from her dog's perspective. I am sure countless moms did the same as it helped me "let her go" and gave her a little hug from home each day. When she would text or call during that week (I let her initiate this), we purposely did not talk about rush, unless she wanted to, and I always would say, "well, what do you think?". By the end of the week, she was exhausted and just wanted text/call and talk about anything but rush...yeah, she even skyped the dog . She kept an open mind all week and ended up joining a sorority of wonderful young women that was different from her legacy groups. She had a fantastic AU greek experience, as did I, decades earlier. AU has an awesome Greek System, and she had friends in almost every sorority. Both of us have been writing recs this year and we talked about the excitement and the challenges ahead for our young friends, and she reminded me about the notes (I had forgotten) and the communication and how much it all meant to her, so I thought I would pass it on (even though she may read this and it wouldn't be a surprise, it is still personal between you and your daughter ). Best of luck to your daughter!

War Eagle!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

What a lovely thing to do southernau. I am sure that your daughter looked forward to everyday to see what you had sent and said in that day's note.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great idea! She would love that. I will put that on my very long list of things to do. I think I have all my recs in order now. My friends have been letting me know that they got confirmation of the recs arriving. Such a relief.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittin View Post
What a great idea! She would love that. I will put that on my very long list of things to do. I think I have all my recs in order now. My friends have been letting me know that they got confirmation of the recs arriving. Such a relief.
They are not *your* recs.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel like it's my job right now since my daughter is at the beach. But you're right they are her recs.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Really good tips from Auburn Panhellenic!
http://aupanhellenic.blogspot.com/20...tions.html?m=1
I realize I'm piling on here -- but that is really, really terrible information about recommendations.

And the PNMs it might (negatively) affect the most are the ones who most need accurate information, like those who are first in their families to participate in recruitment.