GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DPhiE Danielle
Curly...
Best of luck to you!!!! Hang in there!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

CurlyGirl, I think 90% of all PNMs have felt EXACTLY like you. It goes with the territory of a huge greek system. One day you like ABC next day you think XYZ is great. Then, oops XYZ isn't so wonderful but QRS starts to shine. It's like a horserace, some are first right out of the gate but for any number of reasons, fall behind and a new horse starts to pull ahead. You never know what's going to happen till you're in the finale stretch. I honestly hope you stay with it to the end.

Fuzzie Alum is right, please go to pref Fuzzy Alum wrote-I suggest that because like a lot of people I wasn't really sold on anywhere until after pref. That's when what the house is really about shows - you see part of what they stand for in their preference ceremony, you get to see if the girls really love their chapter or if they're just going through the motions, and you hopefully feel like you could really belong in at least one house, maybe two.

Old 08-23-2002, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Curlygirly,

First of all, I have to say YAY KAPPA! I'm thrilled to have one of our GCers going back there.

*ahem*

Now...

I'm actually going to one-up JAM and Carnation and suggest that you go through the New Member period. Formal recruitment is such a farsical event and can seem very shallow at a big school. You only get a few 20 minute conversations on which to base your decision. Preference Night is very beautiful and moving and it could very well be that you'll be sold after that, but if you're not, I'd suggest that you wait until the circus of rushing dies down and you get the chance to see everyone when they're not always dressed to impress. Just hanging 'round a house, you get to know some very real people underneath those made-up exteriors. If it were between sororities, I'd suggest that you not sign your preference card because of the one-year waiting rule. But especially because your choice is not between sororities, but rather between being or not being Greek, I think that in order to make a truly informed decision, you need to get to know a house beyond the superficial level. The NMP teaches you all about what it's like to be a sister in a particular house. You'll get the opportunity to become very much closer with all the women there through retreats and teambuilding activities and such. If, when Initiation time comes, you still feel like this isn't the gig for you, then you can depledge rather than Initiate. But please, give it a good, thorough try.

Best of luck at 3rd round. Have fun, smile loads, and ask tons of questions. I'm sure you'll find the place that's right for you.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with KappaKittyCat (and I love her name -- so cute!). Rush is nothing like your new member period. Go to prefs. Trust that the group that places you on its first bid list sees something in you that meshes with its sisterhood. After all the excitement dies down, you can relax, look around, and get acquainted with your new sisters. Chances are, you'll find tons of new friends and discover personal meaning in what your sorority stands for, and you'll want to be initiated. If not, you can depledge. Trust us, this week is the hardest part of the next three years. Go ahead and pledge so you won't wonder, "What if?"

And of course I'm thrilled you're going back to Pi Phi!

Last edited by Silverblue; 08-23-2002 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought UF rush was over ?? I could be wrong... but that's what I thought. If it is not over, I agree.. you've gone through this much, stick it out through prefs and see what happens !!! if it is over let us know what is going on we're all soo curious Did you go to prefs ? did you accept a bid ? what happened ? WE ALL NEED TO KNOW hehehehehe. If you decided not to go back or if you are off celebrating with your new sisters... I hope you are VERY VERY happy with whatever decision you made. Keep us posted !!
Old 08-23-2002, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree Kappa Kitty! Glad you mentioned it!
Old 08-23-2002, 05:52 PM

curlygirly - glad you're going back to AEPhi (not that I'm biased or anything... )

I strongly suggest you go to prefs... I think you said your pref parties were an hour or an hour and 15 minutes, which, taken together with the other parties, is plenty of time for some good conversation.

KappaKittyCat makes a good point about the new member period... also, remember that you're not going to know who your pledge sisters are until bid day, and they are the sisters that you will be spending 4 years with as a collegian, rather than 1 or 2 or 3. During your new member period, you'll find out how well you're bonding with them.

In the meantime, relax and have fun at round 3
Old 08-23-2002, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

KappaKC - you are totally right.

Since I heard that Curlygirly was not asked back to KD, I was very disappointed - to say the least. <ahem!>

But actually, the entire time that I have known Curlygirly (I guess it's no secret I was her - and her boyfriend's - high school journalism teacher), I have just been encouraging her to GO GREEK - I don't think I ever said GO KD.

Of course, we all like to hear of somone pledging our sorority. But really, we are all very happy to hear of girls pledging - PERIOD! (this is one thing I LOVE about greekchat - gosh, it's great to have a "fair playing field" talking with all kinds of greeks -race/gender/weight/looks/yaddayadda.)

I've also said to Curlygirly, when it came to going through rush "Do it, so you never regret it." And yes, you can always depledge- that's an option.

But the bottom line is, greek life is more than just your college years. Looking back, those were the WORST years of my entire sorority life, because of cattiness (what!?! Cattiness in KD?!? ). I really began to enjoy my sorority life through my involvement as an alumna -- not through a chapter or an AA (we don't have any chapters in South Florida and the Miami AA disbanded after Hurricane Andrew). My involvement came through the internet. I won't go on about it here, but let's just say that I don't consider any of my chapter sisters any of my close friends at this point in my life. I am much closer to other KD's online.

And when you meet women from other sororities, you laugh over your collegiate experience...and after talking, you realize that you really DO have much in common, just with different letters.

So, getting back to Curlygirly...you go girl!!! Go on with rush, keep the DZ colonization in your mind. And when YOU are there with your name in lights (and I know they will be) -- let all of them eat their hearts out!
Old 08-23-2002, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

kdonline- Another really great post!

Can you tell I'm anxious about all this? My computer has been on 90% of the day!
Old 08-23-2002, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation End of Round 2!

Hello ladies....first of all I want to thank you all for your support, and for pushing me to attend Round 3. I am very glad that I did. The houses that I thought I hadn't clicked with during Round 1 and 2...ended up being some of my favorite houses. The videos shown really made me see a more personal side to each house. It wasn't just about the perfect walk out or the perfect smile, it was about being friends with all these girls.

The day has been really really long, and I am STARVING! But I've made sure to come back here and post, since you've all been so sweet.

Today I visited KKG, Phi Mu, AEPhi, PiPhi, DPhiE, AlphaChi. I loved all of the videos and all of the girls...but there were a few houses that I could definitely picture myself in.

First of all, I cried and got chills during the KKG presentation. They showed a video imitating the MTV show 'Diary' and it was really sweet. I got chills during the video. Then, with the lights dimmed, all the girls gathered and sang the song "At the Beginning" from Anastasia. (if you haven't heard it...you should!) It is the sweetest song, and coincidentally a very special song to my boyfriend and I. We've been dating for 4 1/2 years (as kdonline mentioned, we were her students)...and we loved the song from the moment we first heard it. Soo...of course, after watching the video, and hearing the music, I cried. And then I felt dumb b/c I don't even know these girls! lol....Either way, I really clicked with the girl who rushed me, and we figured out that we have friends in common. (she's from Miami also)

PiPhi made the cutest video spoof of Charlie's Angels...but instead PiPhi's angels. I had a good conversation with the girl....I liked the fact that we went to a bedroom, and weren't in a super loud room yelling back and forth at each other. They also sang a song, but a PiPhi song...again, got chills. As I walked out, the girl who rushed me during Round 1 said hi. I can't believe that she remembered me, but PiPhi was my *first* rush party ever during Round 1....so that was really nice.

Phi Mu...the girls were soo sweet...and their video spoofed Friends, but instead it was Sisters. They even filmed an opening in a water fountain with umbrellas, like their opening of friends. The girls seem very real to me, and very sincere. I was taken aback though, b/c the girl said to me "So I hear that you like....." and it was because her and the girl who rushed me for Round 2 had talked about me! Either way, this is a house that is a victim of a lot of tent talking, and the video proved all of that talk wrong. I'm glad I gave it a chance, b/c the girls there are wonderful!

Alpha Chi...could totally see myself in the house. They were also very real and sincere. I've consistently clicked with the AlphaChi girls in each round...but up until this round I couldn't picture myself there. I liked their video also...and again, chills!

You don't understand, I'm not a crier or the type of person to get chills....so I was really surprising myself at each house.

DPhiE and AEPhi....both great, great houses....and the girls were great. I clicked with the girls that rushed me. But now that I am looking back at all the houses, I definitely got **the feeling** that my PiChis were talking about at some of the other houses. I'm not going to mention names, b/c I don't want to jinx anything!

Tomorrow at 10am we receive our lists of who invited us back. On a side note, for those of you who have been keeping up with this thread, my roommate attended Round 3 today and loved one of the 2 houses that she visited. I'm sure she's really thinking about it...but I have a feeling that she might be going greek....who knows!!! Only time can tell....

I'm headed to the kitchen now....but I will be reading your posts as the night goes on.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

one more thing...

I just read over my post....I didn't mean to write less and less about each house. I loved them ALL...and I'm just tired...so the blurbs about them got shorter and shorter...sorry!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you took our advice. And I'm thrilled Pi Phi gave you chills!
Old 08-23-2002, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sassykd
Curlygirly,

I am thrilled that you decided to press on with rush. Even if you don't go Greek, it is not an experience that should be missed. It sounds like you entered Round three with an open heart and an open mind. Keep looking, you will find that special "thing" that tells you where you should be.

As for your roomate, things have a way of working out the way they are supposed to. It is just possible that one of hte two houses that she went to today is where she ends up and where she always would of ended up, had she not been heavily cut. Remember, it is about where you end up, not where you don't end up.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-23-2002, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up be ready for the next step

sweetie. sounds like you had a very good day. be ready to go to pref. i suspect there are adventures awaiting. see how it plays when the craziness goes away. i suspect you'll feel wonderful and right.
for your room mate, keep trucking. it's not time to sing yet. play the game as long as you can.
lol

Old 08-24-2002, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I never went through formal recruitment; I was COB'd so this is all so exciting to read! It sounds like you have an excellent head on your shoulders. I wish you a wonderful time at pref. It'll be an awesome experience.
Closed Thread