GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,419
0 members and 1,419 guests
No Members online

Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Traveling Consultant Job Qs

So glad I found this website. I'm thinking about applying to be a consultant for my sorority once I graduate. I just have a few questions.

What did you find to be the hardest/easiest thing about the job?

(For more recent consultants)..what was the yearly salary? Obviously, I know it would not be a lot (and that's certainly not the reason why I would want the job. Just Curious.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
These are great questions to ask the person at HQ who is in charge of the consultant program. Also, any current or former consultants you've met can answer the first question. I think you will find the answers to be as varied as the people are who have held the job. For some, the travel is difficult (others LOVE that part). Some enjoy speaking in front of groups of people, while others fear it. As far as what the salary is -- I would save that question for an interview. Be sure to ask what is included in the salary i.e., insurance, dry cleaning, luggage fees, etc.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I think I will like the travel portion as exploring new cities/cultures is always cool. I will be sure to ask around!

I was just curious if there is any average. I just have tried doing research and haven't been able to find anything on the salary, but I don't want to sound like all I'm after is money (even though it will probably not be substantial) Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd probably keep your questions within your own sorority. I'm not sure, but I bet the programs vary widely from sorority to sorority and thus information outside your group could really put you off course. Also, having sold and participated in more than my share of corporate travel, I'd probably turn down the enthusiasm for experiencing new cities and cultures. Just because you're there doesn't mean you get to see it. This is a HUGE bummer about business travel. You see the world from the lens of hotel windows, or possibly the guest room of a chapter house. Of course, if you get to help with a colony, then you'd spend some serious quality time in a new city. But if you're going from Champaign to Iowa City to Madison to Minneapolis to Bloomington, you're going to spend a lot of time in small airports and crappy hotels. But let me be clear, this doesn't mean AT ALL that the job wouldn't be awesome. It's just not the kind of awesome you might be expecting.

I don't know how many times I've told my corporate clients "Remember when you thought traveling for business would be really cool? You'd get to stay in hotels and eat out at restaurants, all on somebody else's dime?" What you forget with these fantasies is you're alone and somebody else gets to pick what cities and what hotels, and has probably set a dollar amount on those restaurants.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I have seen blogs that traveling consultants of kept during their tenure working for their various sororities. Those might give you a snapshot of the experience. Unfortunately, I don't have any direct links, but you can probably search for them.

Be a Volunteer!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Know that some programs are structured so that you hit the road for Recruitment Visits in August and don't return home until Thanksgiving. Others have you visiting chapters for 2-3 weeks and then home for a couple of weeks. That makes a huge difference, I think.

Also, some have programs where you stay with one chapter (or colony) the entire semester or year.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, okay. Thanks all for your advice. I will just be sure to ask at the interview. I have been reading a few blogs so it's been great to get an inside look.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

they should be able to tell you the salary before you even apply.