GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,954
1 members and 1,953 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-16-2002, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Way back in 1997 I wore a pair of khaki silk shorts from Banana Republic, a white sleeveless blouse, brown sandals and pearls. I don't remember much about the houses, but I'll never forget what I wore.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2002, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Well... since you'll be in Riverside...

Hey Annie,

Yeah, you've definitely got a while to think about what you want to wear! For all of you who are reading along, recruitment at UC Riverside is October 11-15. It may be a little cooler by then, judging from how it hasn't been nearly as hot this summer as it usually is in Riverside!

As for what most girls coming through recruitment here wear: something comfortable! For Info night, just wear whatever you want. No one will judge you, trust me! For first rounds (Open House) wear something comfortable. Be casual- jeans, shorts, skirts, etc. Bring a sweater or a cardigan- it gets cold in the rooms we use! For second rounds (Philanthropy Day) wear something casual again, but don't wear a skirt or dress! You'll be sitting on the floor in most rooms and you don't want to be uncomfortable! Your Rho Chis will tell you the same! For Preference Night, wear something more formal... like I've said before, not like a prom dress, but something you'd wear to a business meeting or a friend's wedding. Try to stay away from all black or all white though. Again, your Rho Chis will tell you this.

Any time you have a question, don't hesitate to ask!

Carol
Old 09-16-2002, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
i think i wore a dark green fitted courderoy dress from Banana Rep. with brown shoes and a dark green and tourtise shell necklace....either that or i wore black dress pants and a lightblue fitted button down...i can't remember which i wore to what round.
it was february in north carolina-- it was rainy and cold!
Old 09-16-2002, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I wore a long denim skirt with a black top. The skirt is made of dark stretch denim with red stitching and has french words printed at the bottom in black. It's one of my favorite things ever! I bought it when I was in Spain 4 years ago and it hasn't gone out of style yet. :-) I rushed spring of 2000.

I can't remember what I wore to the second and third rounds, but I wore a very simple light blue floor length dress with a pale yellow cardigan to pref. We had been told that all the girls wore black, so it was better to wear another color and stand out as a rushee. Ahh... memories!
ll,
M
Old 09-29-2002, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Well let's see:

To Orientation I wore a white tank, denim capris, and tan leather sandals with leather flowers on them.

To the first day of Open House I wore my rush t-shirt (everyone got them and was required to wear them), denim capris, and my red DKNY sneaker mules (I got a lot of compliments on those!) and the second day I wore the same thing, only with Silver jeans. It was hot both days, so I wore my hair french-braided. I actually got those sneakers for rush- I was really lucky, because they were cute and I felt like I was walking on air!

For first invite I wore a black one-shoulder tank, burgundy flared pants, black chunky sandals with sequined straps, a silver cuff bracelet and I wore my hair down and curled at the ends.

For second invite I came straight from class so I had to get all dressed up for choir! I wore a long, spaghetti strap paisley sundress in cyan blue, a fuzzy lavender cardigan, my tan leather sandals, beaded turquoise hoops, and my hair in a messy knot.

For third invite I wore my hair in a deep side part and a low ponytail, a silver cuff bracelet, low black ankle-strap heels and my favorite dress ever- it was a steal for 10 bucks on clearance, and it's gorgeous and fits perfectly! It is black and has a gathered mock halter/turtleneck that ties in the back with long sashes, and an asymmetrical hemline with a slit. I got a lot of compliments on that too!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
Don't worry about what to wear on info night, when I through (this year) there were girls in the little soffee cheerleading shorts with words on the butt and tank tops, there were also some girls in dresses and heels, but they were few and far between. I wore a knee length denim skirt from the Gap, and an aqua shirt from Express.

On my first day, which was welcome day, I wore khaki colored capris, a aqua V-neck collared wrap shirt, wire necklace with a hanging aqua square and a linked bracelet, all from Express. I wore tan colored heeled sandals that I got at Target. The rush booklet said jeans and tennis shoes, but I don't think anyone was wearing that, they were way overdressed, it was a hot week, so I don't think many people could have worn jeans and been comfy Some girls were wearing pearls and strapless dresses the first day! However, most girls I know didn't get cut or anything because they dressed too casual. Two girls I know wore the rush t-shirts they gave out, and jeans/khakis with tennis shoes, and both got into 'top' first-choice houses, and another girl wore jeans and a halter top, with tennis shoes on a day where everyone wore sundresses, and she got a really popular 'top' house, so it was all about personality, and where you clicked I think, less on clothing, as us rushees had thought it was.

Throughout the week it progressively got dressier and dressier, until it culminated into pref, and when that time came EVERYONE looked so FABULOUSLY great!

Edited to add... Oh, yeah, just like was said above, DON'T wear a prom dress to pref... Although it gets dressier and dressier, you will look silly in a prom gown. We all thought we might be under dressed, but when it came, we were fine. There were two girls wearing prom dresses, and it looked silly and out of place, the sorority members wore dresses that were promish, not the PNM's, you don't want to dress nicer than them on pref and be confused.
L.

Last edited by Fewdfreak; 09-29-2002 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I was ROTFL as I read this thread, because of something that happened to me during rush! I was positive that I would be a Kappa - my high school boyfriend's sister was president of the chapter, I had friends in the chapter AND I was a legacy. I was literally in the Kappa house before any other building on campus!

Then came the first day of rush. I had on very nice jeans, and a polo shirt - the whole prep outfit - and my one friend grabbed me off of my Rho Chi group, pulled me up to her room on the third floor of the house, and made me change my jeans into khakis!! "No Kappa would be caught dead in jeans on the very first day of rush!" she said.

I know, highly irregular, but everytime I think of the first day of rush, I remember her doing this.

Thank heavens I found my sorority home at Alpha Delta Pi that first day! Of course, I had some explaining to do...

Last edited by honeychile; 09-29-2002 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Jess: Did you get your silver sweater w/ the fur from Old Navy? I bought one of those last year and I have gotten sooo many compliments about it

Christin: My mom had an "add a bead" necklace when I was little and she still has it because I teethed on it and there are little tooth marks in each of the beads. It's sooo sweet!
Old 09-29-2002, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Here at Mizzou they have a mandatory t shirt all actives and potential members going through rush have to wear on the first and third day... second and pref day, you wear a nice sundress
Old 09-29-2002, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
I think at Iowa all of the active girls at the sororities had to wear the same t-shirts on the very first day. They were white with purple letters and the sorority on them, on the back were all of the sororities. All of the sororities had them on, just with their sorority letters on the front, and then they either wore them with jean, khaki, or black bottoms, but they all matched from house to house. The rho chi's also had these shirts.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

honeychile...too funny! Rush is supposed to be such a regulated, formal affair, when quirky things like that happens it makes them all the more amusing.

I like the idea of the same shirts for the first night, but I'd have a heck of a time remembering everyone's name...I could however remember: Susie who wore a pink sweater.

I can't remember what I wore my first night, and it's really bugging me. I think I need to call my old roommate she'll remember, even though our rush took place during the last ice age. Those Alpha Phis have fantastic memories.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad to say I can't remember anything I wore to rush at all. I can tell you what the sisters wore - the tie-dyed shirts Phi Mu wore second party, the hideous Hawaiian skirts AXD wore first party, the black dresses everyone wore pref (except the one gal in brown) ... makes me wish I had been better about keeping my journal.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

At our school all the PNMs wear the same t-shirt during Open House. But the girls find other ways of differentiating themselves- with their hair, what they wear on the bottom, their shoes, their jewelry, makeup, accessories, etc. I think the t-shirt thing is a good idea- that way Open House is more focused on personality and it's easier to weed out who you want and don't want in your house. Personality should ALWAYS come first priority during rush- stuff like grooming and academics and etc. are always prone to change, but who a person is never will!