GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,484
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zahaleycahsoz48
» Online Users: 2,430
0 members and 2,430 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice?

This is my first thread here after some time of lurking about. Sorry that this resembles a paper, but I get really, really talkative once I get going. This past weekend, Oct 2-4, was rush at UCR and so as a tentative junior, I decided to try it. I already went in with realistic knowledge that I had a good chance of not getting any bids as a junior, but my friends/family members have pledged and they loved it so they urged me to just try it out at least.

I went to Open House with a ton of nerves because of all my apprehensions about rushing as a junior, especially considering that obviously there were a ton of other underclassmen who could probably provide more than I could, along with the years. I already had an idea of which GLOs I wanted and I was thrilled to be proven that they were the right ones for me.

At UCR, there are: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Alpha Chi Omega, Sigma Kappa, and Pi Beta Phi. I'm not sure if we are considered a really Greek school, but my Rho Chi told us about 250ish (Maybe higher, but lesser than 300) girls rushed this fall.

Open House was so long (6-7 hours in heels was crazy!), but it was so much more than I thought it would be. It was so exciting, adorable, and life-changing. I was never the type to think I could be in a sorority even though I was definitely one of those girls who would see the girls/signs around campus and think about them longingly (That sounds a little creepy, I know). I didn't get to dorm my first year because of my parents so I've been living at a nearby apt/commuting.

I don't know a lot of about the whole Greek Life, but I feel like I really, really, really (x100) want/need to join one because it's the family environment that I adore. It's difficult to get involved when you didn't get to dorm or anything and I feel like I really could learn so much from having sisters. I also love the community service aspect because I was really involved in high school, on and off campus. It's hard keeping up with old friends who don't go to my college so I wanted so much to get into a sorority, even as a junior. My heart was so set on getting in.

I absolutely adored DG, Kappa, & Gamma Phi - the conversations went so well that it was amazing how well I connected with the handful of girls I met. Sig Kap, AXO & Pi Phi didn't have me as enthralled and 1 sister I spoke to kind of forced the conversation and didn't seem to be as interested in me as the ones in the other 3. When I came back for Philanthropy Day, I ended up getting 2 'callbacks' out of 4 max from Kappa and Sig Kap. So, KKG was the one I wanted and SK had been one of my lower choices.

I wasn't too surprised about KKG because my old roommate is a sister and I spent most of the time talking to her. I was surprised about SK and even more totally crushed about not getting an invite back from DG and Gamma Phi. During our Philanthropy Day, I ended up connecting really well with girls from both sororities - the conversations never went awkward or forced; we totally bonded over 'why did you want to rush?', and other rush-related Qs as well as high school activities, interests, etc. so I thought I had a good chance.

Today was Pref Night, but I ended up getting a call from my Rho Chi that I had been dropped. I remember hearing from one of the girls in my recruitment group that some had been crying over their callbacks. I remember thinking that I don't know if I could cry about that, because at least you got invited back. But today was truly disappointing for me. I know you've all heard it before, but I am unbelievably heartbroken that I didn't get an invite back and Bid Day is tomorrow. I went into this whole process super excited and nervous/antsy beyond words - I did research on all the sororities that I was interested in and I'm completely disheartened by this, considering I thought how well last night had gone. I'm the kind of person to get her hopes too high, which probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

I've read threads here on other girls who were dropped or decided to drop and saw that there is a chance of COB, but I'm not sure if I should try it. I truly and honestly want to be involved in a GLO, but given my year and whatnot, I'm not sure if I have a chance. I don't really know as many sisters in sororities and I don't know anything about the quotas - if they've been met, etc (If anything, I could prob only find out about KKG). I read that I should keep up with my Rho Chi to see about an 'available list' or COB, but given my 'statistics' compared to other girls, should I try?

Last edited by Azria; 10-04-2009 at 06:15 PM.