GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Psi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 978
0 members and 978 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rain Man
You know how I roll, I tell it like it is and if ya' don't like it, that's too dang bad, just K.I.M.

Frankly, if it was indeed an elder or a Founder that made these items being mentioned here taboo, that might make a difference. Because then, these taboos would be based in wisdom that was steeped in social maturity.

But frankly, that is clearly not the case here (at least I'm not naive enough to believe it).

A lot of these so-called taboos appear to have came from a recent generation (recent being the last 20 years or so--give or take maybe 5) of Greeks that were former nobodies who once they got their letters, they thought they were hot shnit and that no one could touch them, so they strutted around campus with their chests poked out and all puffed up letting their egos get totally out of control.

I am sorry, I don't care if you have been in the organization 30, 50, or 100 years, I personally cannot recognize you as an elder if your words lack WISDOM. And of the 8(?) taboos the OP posted, only one of them appeared to have any wisdom lying beneath it. One or two others I found debateable as far as wisdom was concerned. The rest was laced with ego, with no wisdom to be found. And it is for that reason that I am hard pressed to respect those "taboos".

I give great respect to that which has wisdom. I give little or no respect at all to that which has ego. And I make no apologies whatsoever for it.

All you can do is talk about what YOU consider taboo...

Lucky for the D9, we dont consult non-members when deciding what's taboo and what's not.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
You know how I roll, I tell it like it is and if ya' don't like it, that's too dang bad, just K.I.M.

Frankly, if it was indeed an elder or a Founder that made these items being mentioned here taboo, that might make a difference. Because then, these taboos would be based in wisdom that was steeped in social maturity.

But frankly, that is clearly not the case here (at least I'm not naive enough to believe it).

A lot of these so-called taboos appear to have came from a recent generation (recent being the last 20 years or so--give or take maybe 5) of Greeks that were former nobodies who once they got their letters, they thought they were hot shnit and that no one could touch them, so they strutted around campus with their chests poked out and all puffed up letting their egos get totally out of control.

I am sorry, I don't care if you have been in the organization 30, 50, or 100 years, I personally cannot recognize you as an elder if your words lack WISDOM. And of the 8(?) taboos the OP posted, only one of them appeared to have any wisdom lying beneath it. One or two others I found debateable as far as wisdom was concerned. The rest was laced with ego, with no wisdom to be found. And it is for that reason that I am hard pressed to respect those "taboos".

I give great respect to that which has wisdom. I give little or no respect at all to that which has ego. And I make no apologies whatsoever for it.
Who solicited Rain Man for this dissertation? No one, as always.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922

Lucky for the D9, we dont consult non-members when deciding what's taboo and what's not.
Which goes back to my original post to him. He stays pressed about anything NPHC, though.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922

I'm very glad to hear a soror of SGRho say that, because what that tells me is that as a non-member of the NPHC, I am not subject to or am obligated to adhere to these "taboos".

Thank you for clearing that up. I feel much better now.

Carry on...

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-03-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Which goes back to my original post to him. He stays pressed about anything NPHC, though.
Spoken like a true member of the Rain Man Fan Club.

Whereever I go, DSTCHAOS is sure to follow. She stays pressed about anything Rain Man, though, doesn't she?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
gibberish
BGLO members hurt your feelings over a decade ago and you have yet to get over it. Whenever someone alludes to BGLOdom in any way, you swoop in to shed "light" on the subject as a bitter outsider. You need to start the healing process sooner or later. I wish you luck.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
BGLO members hurt your feelings over a decade ago and you have yet to get over it. Whenever someone alludes to BGLOdom in any way, you swoop in to shed "light" on the subject as a bitter outsider. You need to start the healing process sooner or later. I wish you luck.
Yawn! *looks at watch and sees it is a quarter of one*

Good night, my secret admirer.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
Daught, I would send you to the corner, but I am too busy laughing.

Mom
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Originally posted by marquise1911
What's considered taboo in Greek life across the board??? List the things that are considered taboo either on your campus or across the board. Nothing secret of course. If you find something disputable, it’s ok to disagree.

Here's a few things I've learned and still hold on to...

1. Never do someone else’s hand signs, even if dissing, if necessary modify to appear similar, but NEVER put up someone’s hand signs.
2. Never, ever, ever touch another Greeks paraphernalia, even with permission.
3. When another organizations national/regional song is on, you do not stroll or obstruct them in any way.
4. Never argue with another Greek in public.
5. Never call a Sigma Gamma Rho a “Rho”, a Delta a “DST”, or an AKA an “AKah” (seen as very disrespectful where I’m from).
6. Train only if you’re an Alpha, Hop only if you’re a Que, Shimmy only if you’re a Kappa, and Triple step only if you're a Sigma.
7. Even if an unofficial bond exists, never refer to an AKA or Delta as “soror” (as far as KAPsi is concerned).
8. Never wear more than one piece of pari.
Responding to the topic at hand:
1) hand/arm signs are a relatively recent phenomenon and unofficial. So any rules applied to them are also unofficial. But I understand the intent of not dissing another orgs sign.

2) Not touching nalia? So if I have on a DST shirt I can't hug somebody?

3)What do you mean by national/ regional songs? Our official songs are not to be done at a party anyway.

4) But it is okay to argue with them or point out their fallacies on a public message board?

5) I am a DST. Nothing wrong with that.

6) Any don't do steps for the sororities?

7) I do agree that only my sorors should call me that.

8) I wear a pinky ring and an ankle bracelet all the time and sometimes I even put on a necklace, a pin, or a t-shirt. And at a chapter retreat we are naliaed down. What is more important is wearing 'nalia in good taste.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 05-03-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Daught, I would send you to the corner, but I am too busy laughing.

Mom
I wished him luck. *adjusting halo*
Old 05-03-2006, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
Take notes folks:

NEVER DISRESPECT YOUR ELDERS... and we were taught not only to respect elders of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. but those of other D9 organizations. It seems that most younger members of orgs these days have no grasp of that concept. I don't care if the elder member is reading your the riot act over something that doesn't even pertain to you. You are to STFU, smile, and respectfully nod.
I disagree with the smile and respectfully nod thing. You can disagree, without being disagreeable.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'll just say this, pointblank.

Quote:
I wished him luck. *adjusting halo*
I'm mad @ you adjusting your halo, LOL.

Marquise - I need an operational definition of the following taboo listed:

2. Never, ever, ever touch another Greeks paraphernalia, even with permission.

Only because I have a couple of questions in my head.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
Take notes folks:

NEVER DISRESPECT YOUR ELDERS... and we were taught not only to respect elders of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. but those of other D9 organizations. It seems that most younger members of orgs these days have no grasp of that concept. I don't care if the elder member is reading your the riot act over something that doesn't even pertain to you. You are to STFU, smile, and respectfully nod.
Disrespecting ANY elders shows lack of basic home training. So this is not just for Greeks.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Walking the Line...

Quote:
Originally posted by marquise1911
Point well taken, but they still stand. I wouldn't want somone touching my pari without my permission, nor would I want someone putting up my sign in a disrespectful manner.

My taboos aren't set in stone, but they're set in my head and my mama said my head is hard as a rock...lol!!!
Many of your 'taboos' are regional and superficial.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: One GC clearly needs to know...

Quote:
Originally posted by Boom_Quack13
I disagree with the smile and respectfully nod thing. You can disagree, without being disagreeable.
I agree.

enigma_AKA
Closed Thread