GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,333
2 members and 1,331 guests
indygphib

Old 06-25-2011, 02:34 AM

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

I've only seen parts of this show on 2 occassons. One was where the groom was running late and/or could not find the church (I think the bride was 15? ), and tonight was with Bridget and her boo-hoo'ing cousin & the rest of the bridesmaids in neon pink tulle "monstrosities" of a dress. (see below for the bridal party)

One of the criticisms of the show is that the show also shows Irish Travellers, who are different from Romany Gypsies, so the title "Gypsy Wedding" is something of a misnomer, as it seems to lump the 2 distinctive groups into one.

For anyone else, watching the show, how do these travelling people earn a living? Are they always on the 'move'? I don't really get it. Those dresses that they buy must cost a fortune, so how are they bankrolling these weddings? And to book a hotel or a venue for a wedding, surely you need to have a credit card? How can you have a credit card if you don't have a fixed address?! (DETAILS! DETAILS!)

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know much, but I do know that some do odd jobs for money. Some, though few, do actually have a stable job, or businesses of their own. The weddings are mostly a matter of saving up money. For the women, weddings are a huge deal and for many, their goal in life is to get married. The wedding is the one big event in the girl's life that she looks forward to and has control over, and most have been planning theirs pretty much from birth. Most families save money starting from the time of the girls birth because for them, it really is that big of a deal. Also, while they do tend to travel, it's a myth that they're constantly on the move. All this is what I've learned from watching the series from the beginning, so I could be wrong, but it seems about right.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM

This show completes my LIFE. It is so crazy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I need to watch this. I have quite a few friends who live in Ireland and Scotland, and anytime they've talked about them, they've never had good things to say. Though one woman routinely hires any travelers in her area to do handy work around her farm. Most of them have told me that the travelers they know are all very very very well off financially.

All I know is that they developed a beautiful breed of horse, the gypsy vanner.
http://vanners.org/
Old 06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

i was driving through the small town just outside where dh & i live and we saw one of these weddings, i was shocked, the bridesmaids were wearing neon green tube tops and tutu's.....
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I just started recently watching this show and am absolutely ADDICTED! The dresses and weddings sucked me in, but culturally, it's just astonishing. Their society is like what would happen if feminism never existed, and the way the men expect the women to act is just mindblowing
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 PM

I always think to myself that if I had to wear a dress that big/crazy, I would NEVER have been a bridesmaid. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

i have seen it, and it is definitely interesting-lifestyles so different from what most of us are used to. and humongus, ugly dresses!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

it's awesome. And whenever you see a pic of the "world's biggest dress" or "world's dress with most petticoats" you can bet you top dollar it's from a Traveller wedding.

The title is misleading though.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

^yes it is.^
Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
For anyone else, watching the show, how do these travelling people earn a living? Are they always on the 'move'? I don't really get it. Those dresses that they buy must cost a fortune, so how are they bankrolling these weddings? And to book a hotel or a venue for a wedding, surely you need to have a credit card? How can you have a credit card if you don't have a fixed address?! (DETAILS! DETAILS!)
Like a lot of people have said, they aren't all homeless or living in camps outside the city limits. Granted, I know more about the Romani than I do the Irish Travellers, but between begging, construction, and various forms of unskilled labor--they're able to do very well for themselves. Apparently they make a lot of money in scrap metal.

When I was studying in Rome, which is teeming with Romani gypsies, one of my classmates' parents came to visit. They are Romanian, and they were walking through one of the piazzas when they encountered a Gypsy woman speaking to her daughter in Romanian. My classmate's mom asked the woman, "how did you get here?" The woman's response? "I got on a plane and flew, how else was I supposed to get here?" None of these folks are broke.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I just watched my first few episodes yesterday and I'm officially hooked. is all I can say. My jaw spent a lot of time on the floor at these monstrosity weddings or laughing my ass off at them.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I've caught a few episodes here and there. I usually hate reality TV, but this has sucked me in. I think I read on a blog that Simon Cowell is one of the producers. I just wish these girls would realize there are fabrics other than tulle! Can't wait for the american version next year!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I just wish these girls would realize there are fabrics other than tulle!
THIS! I wish there was a LIKE button.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Am watching it now for the first time. A reception at an animal shelter? This is unexpected.