GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,192
1 members and 2,191 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Rule #1-don't lie. After that, you're good. Preference is time to pour it all out, presuming you're feeling it. That you love 2 houses is none of their business. If you can say wholeheartedly that you love them and would be thrilled to be a member, then say so. The fact that you might be saying the same thing to 2 chapters is completely beside the point. This isn't dating. You get to like more than one chapter at a time

And I'm going to jump ahead here a few weeks. You've gotten your 1st choice chapter, pledged and started establishing yourself in your daily life as a college student and sorority member. And the dew starts to come off the lily. Maybe you should have chosen the other house. These girls aren't nearly as fun or welcoming as they seemed during rush. There is no singing or crying every time you approach the door. THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL!!! Don't let this freak you out. Rush is not life and vice versa. A lot of girls get the post-rush blues, think it's the chapter's fault and drop out. HUGE mistake. Stick with it. This process is pretty fake and contrived but at the end of it and over time, what you end up with is good friends. But it's not instant.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Loving this story - can't wait to hear more!!
Old 08-24-2013, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Today is Preference at the University of Arizona. 50% chance of thunderstorms. Please let the rain hold off until after Preference parties end. PLEASE...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quick!! Today is preference day, I'm about to find out who I'm invited back yo. However, I am really nervous! I have no idea what to expect. What are some questions I can ask if I am asked "do you have any questions?"? I am running out of things to ask! I know about philanthropies, I asked what favorite things they have to do with their sisters at the house, favorite thing about living in or goig to the house, why thy chose their sorority, what things they do for new members,, etc. Sorry for any spelling errors on my phone and no time to make corrections!!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This is really the day for stories of sisterhood and reasons why their chapter is the one you should choose. I would ask them for their favorite memory of their sisters so far, the nicest thing a sister has ever done for them, a time when their sisters helped them through something challenging, etc. Talk about what you are looking for in a sorority (close friendships? being a part of special traditions?) and ask them for stories about that. Let them sell you on why their sisterhood is the best one!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

GreekGoer- First of all just take a deep breath and relax. You have made it this far and are only steps away from finding your home. I told my D last year, just to look around as you line up before you enter the house because the girls around you could be your sisters tomorrow. Also, I told her just to let the conversation flow naturally. She knew the answers to the questions you listed, and I told her to just relax and preference based on her gut feelings of where she felt most relaxed and at home. Good luck! Wishing you the best.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my top two!!! Wish me one last day of luck please!! Thank you!!!!!!!! Agh!!!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGoer View Post
I got my top two!!! Wish me one last day of luck please!! Thank you!!!!!!!! Agh!!!
Congratulations and good luck! Go dazzle them
Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck sweet girl! Enjoy the preference parties and we are wishing you the best! I've been rooting for Blueberry, so I'm excited it sounds like they are still in the running.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Very happy for you!! Enjoy today and follow your heart.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great, upbeat story! I wish you the best of luck!
Old 08-24-2013, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGoer View Post
Congrats!! Sending good thoughts your way! And hoping the weather holds out for you!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello everyone. Pref round is over. I got my top two houses Orange and Blueberry so let us get right into it......!!!

The first house I visited was Orange. I am just going to say it now---I cried!!! The girls here seemed like they really were so happy to see me. It felt good. The girl who prefed me seemed so happy to meet me. I later found out she was one of the girls in their skit who I thought was sooooo funny!!! When I found out she was the one I was so excited!! She told me she had heard so much about me. The conversation flowed so well as it always has in this house. I felt so at home. She read the notes to me that the girls who talked to me during other sets wrote about me and they were so sweet. They remembered specific things about me which felt awesome. The ceremony was so beautiful!! Before we came out of the house they called us in one by one and said something really nice about us. I left this house feeling great. Another girl who had talked to me on skit day waved to me. It just felt so right and so good being here. I left this house feeling completely in love and a little confused...

I had been really enjoying this house all through out rush, but what about Blueberry? The girls were also so sweet! I was introduced to the President AND the Philanthropic Chair!! What would happen after I attended their pref party? Would it make or break my decision? I fell so in love with Orange but a piece of me was hoping Blueberry would win me over 10000 times more...

I got to Blueberry and was paired with a girl I had not yet spoken to. She reminded me of the girl who introduced me to the President and Philanthropic Chair. Super sweet but kind of quite. She did not keep the conversation going as much as all of the girls did in Orange. It seemed that everyone I had talked to in Orange I clicked with but by this time in Blueberry I was starting to wonder if I actually had a connection with them, not just that they were sweet and nice. I began to realize my pref girl in Blueberry and I were not talking like the girl and I in Orange did. She read me the notes but they did not seem as personal and as genuine. She told me how excited she was for me but that seemed to be all we could talk about. I still loved this house though and I left feeling so torn. I did not cry at their pref ceremony either.

I loved both of these houses so much. But was I leaning towards Blueberry for the wrong reasons? I called my mom. She did the best she could to help but was trying not to pick for me. At the end of the long second phone call she told me that when I called her after Orange she was confused when I called her after Blueberry because it did not seem the same as I was after Orange.

I then began to realize that I was HOPING to love Blueberry. I LOVED their house, their symbol, their colors, but could I be 100% myself around the girls? I then thought about how I felt and realized that I was holding back my personality when talking to the last few girls. They were so much more quite and mellow than me. This not a bad thing, but I was worried about my potential to build a strong bond with the girls in the house because of this... and for that I made one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make...

The order I placed my rankings in was

1. Orange
2. Blueberry

This was such a tough decision. Either way I placed my order I would have been sad. I love both houses so much but I had to be real with myself here. I wanted to be in Blueberry because I liked the idea of being in the house. I wanted to be in Orange because I loved the girls in the house. I'm sure that if Blueberry is who I'm given a bid to I will adjust well and be perfectly fine, but that connection with the girls just is not there yet. I almost changed the order on my pref order while waiting in line to placed my selections, but I couldn't bring myself to it. I'm sad... I'm sad because I love both houses so much and hope I made the correct decision. If either house shows up on my bid card a part of me will be happy and a part of me will be sad... I hope whatever fate may bring is what is meant to be....
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, it is easy to see why both chapters are interested in you. You will make a wonderful sister for one lucky chapter!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Interested to see how your story ends (though, it will be your beginning).
What time do bids come out?