GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,058
1 members and 1,057 guests
zsamulpitt5293

Old 09-25-2018, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
My badge from 1966 is a Balfour and is very special and well made with emeralds and pearls. We ordered our pins prior to initiation (of course in the olden days we pledged in August but weren't initiated until March) I remember when we all clustered around looking at options.

I also loved our pledge pin and 2nd degree pin we wore the the week before initiation. Are pledge pins even worn anymore. In the day, our big sisters allowed us to wear their pin after initiation until our pins arrived which was maybe a month after initiation. Special memories.
I could have written this. I remember us all making the decision which pin we wanted. It meant that initiation was not too far off. Rush was in August, initiation was in February. Our initiation fee included the plain pin (they were only gold in those days- no silver pins). I wore my Big Sister's pin until ours finally arrived full of fanfare. Unfortunately, my pledge sister/best friend loaned her pin to her little sister at initiation and the little never returned it to her.

I remember the excitement I felt when I received my pledge pin. I loved that little pin.

DaffyKD
Old 09-25-2018, 02:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At the chapter I advise, they order their badges in week 2, and we usually get them by end of the semester. Most times we will use bigs' badges for initiation. DPhiE doesn't provide options for badges. It's either the cheap gold plate badge with no pearls, cheap gold plate with fake pearls or 10K gold with pearls. I lost my original 10K gold with pearls badge in a move, and I ordered a new one - 6 of the 21 pearls have fallen out. It's not even worth it to keep sending it back. I'll just get a vintage one.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

These days, Pledge Pins don't even leave the house / chapter room! Notice how many badges on E-Bay state they are Balfour. My friend, who is a chpater advisor, advises the new members to buy the sterling silver badge and get a vintage gold one from E-bay.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly think it seems as though groups with little to no customization options have a better experience with HJ overall than those that do allow customization.

SAI National Headquarters sends badges to the chapter after the members in training have paid their initiation fees and passed the exam and chapters are not supposed to hold initiation without having received them.

I’ve thought about trying to get mine engraved, but having read all the tales of having to send them to HJ and wait to get them back…well.

My ordering experience with accessory jewelry from them has been fine—the two rings, custom chapter letter guard, and convention charm I have were all great ordering experiences, and only the charm would have been one that didn’t require much production time because I ordered it after convention had happened and I think they had a decent stock of them. The rings required time because of my ring size, and I wanted my letter guard to be the same metal as my badge (10k) and I had also fallen in love with the chased look, which didn’t cost much more than the plain gold one.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I received an alumnae honor at our convention which involves an attachment to our badge. I have a silver badge and had to order mine. Got it today. So, 3 months. But, at this time of year, when they are in overtime mode making badges, I'm pretty pleased it came so quickly.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of y'all know about my struggles with HJ and their very poor quality control, so suffice it to say that I'm not surprised this is an ongoing issue and I wish more organizations would consider moving to J. Brandt or taking their business elsewhere.