GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,074
2 members and 1,072 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 06-23-2006, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
At first I thought you meant the girl did it on accident, and I wondered why everyone would think she was a bitch. Then I read it again and I was
yeah. Luckily, the table was glass, so it was an easier clean up that if it had been wood or something.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

My two cents

1. If you go to a school where they haven't moved to "no frills" recruitment - ie they still do skits, event decorations are elaborate - do not let the event itself be the reason you choose the group. Just because a group has a talented cast of actors and can decorate a room like it's the Taj Mahal does not mean they will be the best sisters FOR YOU! Choose the group where you feel that the women will be the most accepting of you. These are the women you'll want to lean on when you've been up all night studying, you're homesick, your boyfriend dumps you for the cute blonde in his psych class, etc. If they can't help you then, who cares that they qualify for an academy award or could give MarthaStewart a Run for her money!

2. I know someone said this before but don't let a roommate pressure you into joining a group together. In many cases you've just arrived at school and your roommate is the only person you know. You probably don't even know her very well but it's easy to cling to the one familiar thing. Keep in mind that you'll soon have a whole new group of friends and the group your roommate would choose may not be the best fit for you in the long run.

3. Don't be afraid to report recruitment infractions. If you are the victim of a recruitment infraction that negatively impacts your experience, know that you are not alone and also realize that the group has probably been operating that way for a while and will continue to do so until someone steps up and says something. If the infraction positively impacts you (like bid promising) stop and think for a minute - yes you may have just been promised a bid to a group that you really thought you wanted to be a part of, but do you really want to join a group that doesn't play by the rules or believe in treating people fairly?

4. Be yourself! Any good rush hostess will be able to assess whether or not they can find common ground with you. They want to be able to make you feel at home. If you are honest in your conversation with them you'll either really hit it off with her or she'll realize she needs to introduce you to SuzySister because you and she would have xxx in common. If you eventually do not meet anyone you have anything in common with then the group is probably a bad fit for you but if you hadn't been yourself you would never know for sure!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteflyerzl

4. Be yourself! Any good rush hostess will be able to assess whether or not they can find common ground with you. They want to be able to make you feel at home. If you are honest in your conversation with them you'll either really hit it off with her or she'll realize she needs to introduce you to SuzySister because you and she would have xxx in common. If you eventually do not meet anyone you have anything in common with then the group is probably a bad fit for you but if you hadn't been yourself you would never know for sure!
I cant stress this enough. Most sorority members will be able to pick up on this as well......Not being yourself is no different than lying. Members will be able to smell this lie like a fart in a car.......so make it easier on yourself and the members and BE YOURSELF!
Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24
I cant stress this enough. Most sorority members will be able to pick up on this as well......Not being yourself is no different than lying. Members will be able to smell this lie like a fart in a car.......so make it easier on yourself and the members and BE YOURSELF!

ThetaPrincess is absolutely right...In the end, you don't really want to pretend to be something you're not because you might end up in a chapter that thinks you're one person and you're really someone else...And you'll probably end up really unhappy because you'll have nothing in common with any of the girls. Do yourself a favor and just be the polite/kind/fun/outgoing person you know you are.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Last year I had a PNM basically complain to me for a whole party about College Station and how much fun she had at a party the night before but how too many freshman pre rushees there were. She went on and on. PNMs are not supposed to go out during rush week, and I'm sure she knew that.

No talk about Boys, Booze, Bible (religion), Bank, or Bad News (talking about other chapters)
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an interesting story that I encounted when rushing for this one sorority (which is a true story). And I wonder how to deal if such thing does happen to a rushee (though most likely it won't happen I assume)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was rushing for XYZ this one fall and met this one active who was really nice to me. Then we talked and became slightly closer. One day, she called me up to have lunch and we sat down and chat. All of a sudden she was trying to persuade me not to rush for XYZ because she knew XYZ was not for me. XYZ is a social based sorority, which I already knew, but I was also interested in the community services they did, and most of all, their sisterhood bond.

I was shocked later on when she was telling me some negative stuff that's going on, and I didn't know how to response. I really wanted to rush for that sorority, but I didn't know why she approached me in this way. She tried so hard to persuade me not to rush.

So I responed her, "if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be; I would still like to continue on the process and try my best."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how would you deal with this situation?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever
Here's an interesting story that I encounted when rushing for this one sorority (which is a true story). And I wonder how to deal if such thing does happen to a rushee (though most likely it won't happen I assume)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was rushing for XYZ this one fall and met this one active who was really nice to me. Then we talked and became slightly closer. One day, she called me up to have lunch and we sat down and chat. All of a sudden she was trying to persuade me not to rush for XYZ because she knew XYZ was not for me. XYZ is a social based sorority, which I already knew, but I was also interested in the community services they did, and most of all, their sisterhood bond.

I was shocked later on when she was telling me some negative stuff that's going on, and I didn't know how to response. I really wanted to rush for that sorority, but I didn't know why she approached me in this way. She tried so hard to persuade me not to rush.

So I responed her, "if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be; I would still like to continue on the process and try my best."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So how would you deal with this situation?
I would seriously question whether I wanted to be there.

1) She should not have been telling you any of that. It's sorority business and not yours. What else is she going to spout off?

2) She could have been looking out for you. Maybe she really did feel that her house wouldn't be a good fit for you. I have come across many women rushing at a school that has a very good Gamma Phi chapter and while I often think they would make great Gamma Phis, I usually also think "at any other school". They just wouldn't fit into THAT chapter.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:34 AM

*Because it's that time of year again, I have to add this precaution to PNMs.

If you attend more than one chapter's Preference (final round) party, sometimes you might feel stronger about one than you do others, but take this advice:

Think really hard and talk to your recruitment counselor before you make the decision to only list ONE chapter on your final ranking card (what's known as Intentional Single Preference or "suicide").

When you only list ONE chapter, you significantly decrease your chances of getting a bid. You are basically saying that you are SO SURE that this one chapter is going to bid you, that you don't even need to list the others. This is incredibly risky, since you can't guarantee that.

If you list ALL of the chapters you attended, chances are VERY good that you will get a bid on bid day. Listing all chapters you pref maximizes your options and gives you more than one chance to be placed in a chapter.

If you only list one, you basically need to be 100% sure that this sorority is going to give you a bid. If they don't-- you'll get the dreaded phone call from your Rho Chi/Rho Gamma letting you know not to bother showing up for bid day because "you were not placed".

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-04-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I would still say though, if you absolutely know that you would not pledge a chapter, don't put them on your bid card. Let another girl who liked that chapter have that spot. It does them and you no good if you're bound to them for a year and you don't want anything to do with them. This is ONLY though, if you KNOW you WOULD NOT pledge that org. If you're not sure, still put them and try them out if you are bid.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
jessicaelaine

i have something to add about something a member should not do or say.

when i was rushing, i was hanging out with some other girls and the members of a sorority after an event in a dorm room. a few of the current members starting talking about a party they went to the night before and instead of trying to get the girls rushing involved in the conversation by explaining who so and so was that they were talking about or even where and when the party was they talked about it as if they were all alone in the room. it was very rude and made the sorority seem cliquish. it almost made me not want to join.

i know this may seem like a given rule to a lot of people, but to them it wasn't. so keep in mind to explain simple things to make sure everyone feels involved and wanted.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaelaine
i have something to add about something a member should not do or say.

when i was rushing, i was hanging out with some other girls and the members of a sorority after an event in a dorm room. a few of the current members starting talking about a party they went to the night before and instead of trying to get the girls rushing involved in the conversation by explaining who so and so was that they were talking about or even where and when the party was they talked about it as if they were all alone in the room. it was very rude and made the sorority seem cliquish. it almost made me not want to join.

i know this may seem like a given rule to a lot of people, but to them it wasn't. so keep in mind to explain simple things to make sure everyone feels involved and wanted.
This should not be an issue, as sorority members should not be hanging out with Rushees during rush outside of rush parties.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
This should not be an issue, as sorority members should not be hanging out with Rushees during rush outside of rush parties.
I was wondering about that, too. Could it have been a COR event?
Old 08-15-2006, 02:36 PM
jessicaelaine

well, at my school, it being so small we have very informal rush. we hang out with rushees all the time because we set up booths in the atrium of one of the main buildings that have couches and tables and chairs to sit at. at least one member is there during the day so just anyone can walk up to us and ask us questions and hang out. i like it better because it seems a lot less stressful and not so demanding with your schedule. and i hung out with a girl who is rushing this year all last year, so it's kind of hard to say it should never happen. there are always exceptions. and i also believe the moral of my story was to explain things that may seems simple to you so that everyone feels involved and wanted. i didn't say that could only happen in that type of situation. it could happen anywhere.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
Keep your nose clean on the internet-- don't join any groups on MySpace, Facebook, LJ, etc., that would portray your character as questionable. Same goes for your language and wording on message boards and blogs. In the summer before recruitment, you may not have communication with the sorority women at your university regarding recruitment.
TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN SPOKEN.

Also, pictures. Remove the questionable ones, or make your MySpace private for the month up to Recruitment...especially if you're at a competitive school. Plus, alumnae are becoming more websavvy than we have in the past, and it's not really hard to drudge stuff up.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Do not put anything on your Facebook/MySpace that you wouldn't want sorority members to see/read.

Whatever you put out there is public knowledge, and anyone can see it.

There was a girl in fall 2006 recruitment who wrote a MySpace blog about the sororities on campus saying that "most of them are for losers and ______ is the only sorority I want to join."

Some sorority members found it and passed it on to their friends in other sororities. This girl ended up being cut from all sororities after 3rd round because of it.

So I would refrain from putting anything out there that might affect your recruitment.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-01-2007 at 08:07 PM.