GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,293
1 members and 1,292 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 10-27-2017, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Well known universities WITHOUT Greek life

Besides the military universities (Army, Navy, Air Force), plus Notre Dame, Harvard, Boston College, Fordham, Xavier, Fairfield and Rice (most of those were founded as religious universities), are there any other well known schools that do NOT have Greek life?

I’m talking universities that play NCAA D1 schedules or a college/university you could hear about on the national news and NOT think “Where it that?” (So, not talking about places like Middlebury College, undergrad enrollment approx 2,500 or the Seven Sisters.)

Thought I’d start an updated thread as the last one looks to be nearly 15 years old.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Georgetown?
I thought Harvard has Greek Life - it may be off campus, but I know our HQ recognizes the chapter that we have there (NIC group)
Kappa Alpha Order has the commission program where they initiate recent alums from a few of the military academies (The Citadel, VMI, Army and Navy academies). Pretty sure that is unique to them though and they only initiate alumni and faculty/staff - no undergraduates.

Last edited by Weaver D; 10-27-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking for some specifics before we start counting.

I presume that NIC, NPC, NPHC and NALFO "Social Greeks" chapters recognized on campus count as "Greek Life". and I presume that having Phi Beta Kappa or Pi Delta Phi (French Honorary) don't count as greek life.

However (These are specifically aimed at determining Georgetown and Harvard)
1) Do Professionals count toward the school having Greek Life? For ex: Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Theta Tau?
2) Do the Service Greeks count: Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma?
3) Do GLOs which have chapters which accept members from a school count toward having a chapter there, So for example, does the fact that Omega Psi Phi Gamma chapter accepts student members from Harvard (as well as the following other Boston schools:BU, BC, MIT and a few others) mean that Harvard has greek life?
4) If the Student Liaison has a liaison to Fourteen different NIC/NPC/NPHC/Professional Fraternities but none are recognized by the school (See http://www.gustudentassociation.org/greek-life/ ) does that count?
5) And as for West Point, see http://www.aka-xichiomega.org/west-point which is about the Alpha Kappa Alpha chapter that includes the undergraduate members *at* West Point.

Last edited by naraht; 10-27-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: more specific
Old 10-27-2017, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Fordham University
Loyola (MD)
Gonzaga (no social orgs)

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-27-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

BYU
Old 10-27-2017, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Looking for some specifics before we start counting.

I presume that NIC, NPC, NPHC and NALFO "Social Greeks" chapters recognized on campus count as "Greek Life". and I presume that having Phi Beta Kappa or Pi Delta Phi (French Honorary) don't count as greek life.

However (These are specifically aimed at determining Georgetown and Harvard)
1) Do Professionals count toward the school having Greek Life? For ex: Kappa Kappa Psi, Tau Beta Sigma, Theta Tau?
2) Do the Service Greeks count: Alpha Phi Omega, Gamma Sigma Sigma?
3) Do GLOs which have chapters which accept members from a school count toward having a chapter there, So for example, does the fact that Omega Psi Phi Gamma chapter accepts student members from Harvard (as well as the following other Boston schools:BU, BC, MIT and a few others) mean that Harvard has greek life?
4) If the Student Liaison has a liaison to Fourteen different NIC/NPC/NPHC/Professional Fraternities but none are recognized by the school (See http://www.gustudentassociation.org/greek-life/ ) does that count?
5) And as for West Point, see http://www.aka-xichiomega.org/west-point which is about the Alpha Kappa Alpha chapter that includes the undergraduate members *at* West Point.
Yes, any of the National, traditional social Greeks, regardless of counsel, or service Greeks that have social events (APO, GSS)
1) not unless the professor groups events included social and philanthropy events on a national basis (not if it’s a few schools who host an annual formal)
3) no
4) curious as to what schools would have a liaison but no groups
5) probably not, unless the chapter actually functions like a chapter: meetings, recruitment, social events, philanthropy, reporting to national/international HQ

Okay, take Harvard off the initial list: https://college.harvard.edu/admissio...bt-going-greek

Georgetown does has Greek life: http://georgetownvoice.com/2015/08/0...at-georgetown/

Last edited by ChioLu; 10-27-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Yes, any of the National, traditional social Greeks, regardless of counsel, or service Greeks that have social events (APO, GSS)
1) not unless the professor groups events included social and philanthropy events on a national basis (not if it’s a few schools hosting an annual formal)
3) no
4) curious as to what schools would have a liaison but no groups
5) probably not, unless the chapter actually functions like a chapter: meetings, recruitment, social events, philanthropy, reporting to national/international HQ

What GLOs does Harvard have?
1) KKPsi and Tau Beta Sigma *especially* at the Historically Black Colleges and University act socially like the NPHC greeks (pledge lines, probate, stepping etc.)
4) I just described Georgetown (http://www.gustudentassociation.org/greek-life/ ). Alpha Phi Omega *is* recognized, and it has the Founding chapter of Delta Phi Omega Foreign Service Professional which is *housed*.
5) The chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha is a normal area chapter, just one that happens to include West Point and the sisters there. (The NPHC groups have been doing city chapters for a *long* time)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Loyola of MD, Fordham and BYU have had chapters of Alpha Phi Omega. Gonzaga has had an Alpha Phi Omega extension that failed, but currently has a chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi Business Professional
Old 10-27-2017, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

As for Georgetown and Harvard, in both cases, the Social Fraternities and Sororities are *not* recognized student organizations according the webpages linked to.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

On mobile so it’s not easy for me to link, but BC has a chapter of SAE that’s open to all Boston-area schools without an SAE chapter and a SigEp chapter exclusive to BC. Gonzaga has chapters of Kappa Sigma and Theta Chi, I think? As well as a chapter of Alpha Pi Phi, the Canadian national sorority. None of those are recognized by the schools but all recognized by HQ.

There’s also a Pi Kappa Alpha chapter exclusively chartered at West Point, so take that one off the list too.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
On mobile so it’s not easy for me to link, but BC has a chapter of SAE that’s open to all Boston-area schools without an SAE chapter and a SigEp chapter exclusive to BC. Gonzaga has chapters of Kappa Sigma and Theta Chi, I think? As well as a chapter of Alpha Pi Phi, the Canadian national sorority. None of those are recognized by the schools but all recognized by HQ.

There’s also a Pi Kappa Alpha chapter exclusively chartered at West Point, so take that one off the list too.
Yup. See https://www.pikes.org/join-pike/expansion (Mu Pi chapter)
Old 10-27-2017, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Caltech
Xavier, Providence (basketball schools)
Davidson
Amherst
Trinity (TX) (locals)

Last edited by pinksequins; 10-27-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Cal Tech
Cal Tech has (as of 2017-18) 961 Undergraduates (By comparison, West point is 4200). It is larger than the currently smallest school with an Alpha Phi Omega chapter (Which is Maine Maritime Academy), but from discussions with staffers, we would be unlikely to go to CalTech today.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Small student population, yes, but huge endovment (approximately $2 billion) and one of the most academically challenging universities in a league academically ith MIT, Stanford, etc.

Last edited by pinksequins; 10-27-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:27 PM

Wellesley College has no GLOs that are open solely to Wellesley students. However, I believe there is a chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, founded at MIT, that is open to undergrads from MIT, Harvard, and Wellesley.

(ETA: Never mind... I just noticed that the OP specified no Seven Sisters schools. I would hear "Wellesley" and not think "Where is that?" but that's mainly because of where I went to school.)

BTW, when did Alpha Phi colonize at Harvard?

Last edited by aephi alum; 10-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.