GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 671
0 members and 671 guests
No Members online

Old 10-09-2017, 08:40 PM

I just remembered one of my favorites! Every year, after pref and after we turned in our bid lists, we would all head over to a particular IHOP in Boston (Kenmore Square), still wearing our pref dresses, heels, badges, pearls, hair and makeup done, etc., and tucked into some pancakes and other assorted carbs. We definitely turned heads! I only got to go twice. During my freshman year, (a) the sorority, which was still a local at the time, didn't do FR, and (b) even if they had, I would obviously have still been a PNM, not a member. During my senior year, I was a rho chi and therefore deaffiliated - rho chis didn't reaffiliate until a couple of days after bid day.

During my junior year, one of my sisters was planning her wedding for the following summer, and another of my sisters was going to be one of her bridesmaids. The bridesmaid spent a good chunk of the meal complaining about the color of the bridesmaids' dresses. They were fire-engine red. At one point, she picked up the bottle of ketchup that was on the table, pointed to it, and said "THIS COLOR!" We were in stitches! (I don't know why she was complaining. I was a guest at the wedding, and she looked good in that dress.)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Going through the installation of my chapter as a Founding Father was one whole bonding experience, seeing as it was the 17 of us with the consultants from IHQ versus an established chapter with a pledge class.

While we did have our big and important moments like initiations, big/little ceremonies, formals, homecomings, etc, I always found our bonding moments were all the moments in between the big ones. Weekly trivia nights at the local Applebees, road trips to the chapter president's house for bylaw meetings, seeing who had the best story from the weekend at chapter meetings all stick out way more to me.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Whoever started this thread is right, the fondest memories happen randomly.

A few to share:

1) I set up a PC brother with a date for formal, but she bailed at the last minute (the afternoon of). So, I had to hurry and find him another date. I ran to the dorms, where a friend from high school lived and asked her, but she didn't wanna go, but her roommate said "I'll go". Within a few hours, she got a dress, did her hair and was ready - well, miraculously it all worked out; they had an absolute blast, dancing and talking the whole night together. It couldn't have been any better.

2) A bunch of us went to a Bon Jovi concert. We pre-funked at the house, then got into somebody's truck and sang "Livin' on a Prayer" at the top of our lungs - I mean, we were shouting it at passersby. Needless to say, my voice went out like 15 minutes into the show.

3) We often did laundry basket races down the stairs. But one night we decided to combine it with a food fight, where we threw marshmallows, chocolate chips, even bread slices, at whoever was racing down (boys will be boys!!). We got into trouble for the mess, which nobody cleaned up, but it was a lot of fun.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

This just popped up on my Facebook wall. I could have certainly added this to a few different threads. But it's meant to remind us that brotherhood/sisterhood isn't instant (it takes work!), and it's the little, seemingly insignificant moments that make it special and help it grow.

Brotherhood Isn't Built in a Day
http://blog.phiredup.com/?p=3958

@~/~~~~
Old 10-12-2017, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the funniest things on bonding came not from Active Brothers was one time when our "Pledge Class" kidnapped all of the Officers and took us away from the house.
They agreed to meet back at the house at a certain time that night. They had taken our C of A and left 2 crossed swords on a couch!
We were upset as Actives until we thought about it and WOW, The Pledge Class had really come together and bonded! Became on heck of a class and future Brothers of the Chapter!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-11-2019, 07:53 PM

bump

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

This is going to sound hella weird, but...room assignments. Our house had/has unique rooms and a variety of basic configurations (eg, more than just a raft of identical doubles), so it was always fun to talk with sisters about which rooms you wanted to put in for or get advice from people who'd lived in spaces you were interested in or just likely to get. Matching roommates/neighbors/floormates was a fun way to get to know people, too, whether you were looking for a roommate yourself, connecting your other friends in the house, or just excited to see who would be living next door to you for the semester. At its best, the process made us all feel like a real team - like there was a place for everyone and nobody needed to feel left out.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

This isn't bonding in the Chapter (most of those simply should not be put on the internet!) , but as a Sister of ADPi:

I was with a lot of friends, driving from my then-PA home to Florida for a soccer convention, and the only sorority woman. I spotted an ADPi bumper sticker on a car in the right lane, and started yelling, "pull up alongside that car!! Faster!!" until the guy driving finally did. "Blow the horn!!" I put my index & middle fingers against the window, and the sisters in the other car did the same, making the DIAMOND, both cars honking and laughing and generally enjoying the sisterhood.
The memory still gives me the warm fuzzies!

Last edited by honeychile; 08-22-2020 at 08:58 PM.