GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,325
2 members and 1,323 guests
No Members online

Old 10-12-2008, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Anyone Interested in having a convention for local chapters in 2009?

My local chapter in the midwest has been discussing trying to coordinate a convention. We want to get an idea if people will attend and if so what are the most important topics your chapter would want to learn about?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to XSK_Diamond
We'd be interested. There isn't one topic I can think of that we'd like to learn more about over another. My personal opinion is that we need to learn, or at least be familiar with, it ALL.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to H0NEY1987
Definitely start planning now! Where exactly is your chapter? Are you guys going to host in-state?

I know my sisters would love to come out and show support to other locals.

Some topics could be;

local insurance- are their any companies that local ( smaller ) chapters could benefit from?

Local greek apparel- what are some online/catalog companies who provide locals with letters of good quality?

Staying local and loving it- what are key things about your local that make you proud?? This could help chapters who may have to compete with other sororities that are national.

If i think of any more i will post!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Mods!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
I definitely think it would be an amazing opportunity, but perhaps first work to have more of these programs regional conferences like WRGA, MGCA, etc. If the demand was high enough, then I think we as locals would be able justify having something like this.

Perhaps this could be something to suggest for AFA to host.

I think the main topics that most locals need to cover are:
-Insurance
-New Member Programming
-Understanding our values and specific needs as locals

As an Advisor to a local sorority, the greatest challenge is having the women understand that rituals, traditions and activities will develop with time and as they're needed.

Chris
Old 11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, but...

Those are great ideas. But they don't focus on local chapters. It would be nice to have issues that affect local chapters addressed.
Many national/international fraternities and sororities don't deal with the same issues that we do.
It would be nice if there was some list of local fraternities and sororities to directly contact to see if they would be interested in having a convention.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Langox510x Send a message via Yahoo to Langox510x
Could be cool. Where are you located?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not following you. Local chapters have the same issues as national chapters, just on a smaller scale. Instead of saying that the ideas being put forth won't work, why don't you actually give some examples of what you think will work? It's not cool to criticize or dismiss ideas when you don't have any of your own to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiChiGrl View Post
Those are great ideas. But they don't focus on local chapters. It would be nice to have issues that affect local chapters addressed.
Many national/international fraternities and sororities don't deal with the same issues that we do.
It would be nice if there was some list of local fraternities and sororities to directly contact to see if they would be interested in having a convention.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

A national conference doesn't have to have a lot of representative GLOs in attendance. Size isn't what makes something national. If only 5 organizations confirmed they would attend, but they were from different parts of the country, that would result in a small, but STILL national, conference.

Who is AFA? And, why would any particular GLO need to be the host? I don't think there is a need for a host organization at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ_E_class View Post
I definitely think it would be an amazing opportunity, but perhaps first work to have more of these programs regional conferences like WRGA, MGCA, etc. If the demand was high enough, then I think we as locals would be able justify having something like this.

Perhaps this could be something to suggest for AFA to host.

I think the main topics that most locals need to cover are:
-Insurance
-New Member Programming
-Understanding our values and specific needs as locals

As an Advisor to a local sorority, the greatest challenge is having the women understand that rituals, traditions and activities will develop with time and as they're needed.

Chris

Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

AFA could be Association of Fraternity Advisors. I think that is only for NPC/NIC GLOs.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks. If that's the case, then what XYZ_E_class wrote isn't an option anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
AFA could be Association of Fraternity Advisors. I think that is only for NPC/NIC GLOs.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to H0NEY1987
My organization is definitely willing to be apart of the conference this year.
It may be that we dont need a specific host but i definitely think we need someone to organize the time, the place and events/forums that will take place.
If anything, its important to have a host, who will be able to have the time to organize and invite other organizations.
I know we all have certain concerns or suggestions that we'd like to share with other locals, so we definitely need to come together and make them public.
I think we'd better start planning soon. the summer months will be here before we know it.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to XYZ_E_class
No, AFA is comprised of my individuals who work with chapters throughout the nation - it might be something that the Association could look into developing. I'm a member of a regional fraternity and a member of AFA. Perhaps this something that we as members of local organizations need to work on: understanding the larger Greek community and resources we have available.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

That's good to know about the afa. I help advise my local. We only have one chapter. Would I be able to join the afa?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

SF GIRLS Wanna come!! go locals!!