GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,730
1 members and 1,729 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-21-2007, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
True. Online petitions are silly, most of the time. Not watching it or writing to the company, or someone else in your local, state, or federal government would be much more effective.
Really? Writing to someone in the government to try to get the show pulled off the air? If this were even a viable option (which I really doubt it would ever do any good), would you WANT to live in a country where that kind of censorship was allowed to go on? Thank God for free speech, eh?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

although i'm not enthusiastic about this show because of the stereotypes it's going to support, i don't think getting it pulled off air is the answer. i really doubt it'll have much of an audience (other than us, watching so we can bash it, lol).
Old 06-21-2007, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
Really? Writing to someone in the government to try to get the show pulled off the air? If this were even a viable option (which I really doubt it would ever do any good), would you WANT to live in a country where that kind of censorship was allowed to go on? Thank God for free speech, eh?
I offered the suggestion because I know of numerous government officials who are also members of GLOs--in particular, Kathleen Babineaux-Blanco (Governor of Louisiana, KD) and Christine Gregoire (Governor of Washington, KD) who would probably not appreciate the negative stereotype of Greeks portrayed in these shows. I was agreeing with a previous poster who felt there were probably better ways of approaching this situation. Contrary to popular belief, government officials DO deal with other situations, aside from the War in Iraq. And in case you have forgotten, censorship is a regular part of our society--think television show ratings, cd ratings, no nudity on tv, etc. Give me a break.

Last edited by kathykd2005; 06-21-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling errors :-P
Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I cannot hardly wait to not watch it!

Typical tripe and half truths about what is really going on and I am sure as usual it will not give Greeks a good glow!

Kyle, hang in dude!!!!!

It sure got a lot of posts in a short time and you are the one being picked on this time!

Keep a s smile!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-21-2007, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Quote:
And in case you have forgotten, censorship is a regular part of our society--think television show ratings, cd ratings, no nudity on tv, etc. Give me a break.
Sure, they edit things that actually matter. But they're not going to say "Hmm, this subject matter may be slightly offensive to a handful of members of a particular sub-culture of American society. Better jock it from the air." Give ME a break.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I offered the suggestion because I know of numerous government officials who are also members of GLOs--in particular, Kathleen Babineaux-Blanco (Governor of Louisiana, KD) and Christine Gregoire (Governor of Washington, KD) who would probably not appreciate the negative stereotype of Greeks portrayed in these shows. I was agreeing with a previous poster who felt there were probably better ways of approaching this situation. Contrary to popular belief, government officials DO deal with other situations, aside from the War in Iraq. And in case you have forgotten, censorship is a regular part of our society--think television show ratings, cd ratings, no nudity on tv, etc. Give me a break.
no personal offense to you, but trust me, blanco has more important things to worry about than some tv show. she's on her way out anyway.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
It was these kind of petitions that caused CBS to bring Jericho back for season 2 when they cancelled it. If there was BIGTIME outpour it could have an effect.

p.s. I hope Al Gore runs for president on a third party green ticket....SPOILER!
If people want to sign the petition then sign if you don't want to sign it don't.

I hope Al Gore runs in 2008 as a Green Party Candidate. I always love when liberals split their base. If Gore ran as a Green Party member he will only help the Republicans win a third straight term.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria Ame View Post
no personal offense to you, but trust me, blanco has more important things to worry about than some tv show. she's on her way out anyway.
I didn't say she'd personally care, I was just throwing her out there as an example. ;-)
Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
Sure, they edit things that actually matter. But they're not going to say "Hmm, this subject matter may be slightly offensive to a handful of members of a particular sub-culture of American society. Better jock it from the air." Give ME a break.
There are a LOT more than a handful of people that would be offended, but it's pointless for us to argue about this. I'm going to agree to disagree.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I offered the suggestion because I know of numerous government officials who are also members of GLOs--in particular, Kathleen Babineaux-Blanco (Governor of Louisiana, KD) and Christine Gregoire (Governor of Washington, KD) who would probably not appreciate the negative stereotype of Greeks portrayed in these shows. .
Any elected official worth paying attention to has many, many better things to expend political capital on. They wouldn't waste time on a silly ABC Family series.

Quote:
And in case you have forgotten, censorship is a regular part of our society--think television show ratings, cd ratings, no nudity on tv, etc. Give me a break.
And in case you didn't know, TV show ratings and CD ratings are not censorship. Censorship means that the government or someone else with authority (such as a religious leader) is actually suppressing content deemed by the goverment (or religious body) to be objectionable for whatever reason, thus preventing people subject to their authority from seeing the "offending" material or imposing penalties for defying the censor's decision. That's not the case with TV show or CD ratings.

Recording companies themselves decide whether to put Tipper Stickers on CDs and what warning to give, and the sticker doesn't keep anybody from buying the CD. Similarly, networks themselves decide what TV Parental Guidelines to put on their shows, and those guidelines don't keep anyone from watching the shows. The only possible censorship involved with TV or CD ratings is parental censorship.

With nudity on broadcast TV, you might have a point. But the reality is that nudity broadcast on airwaves that are legally considered to be publically owned does not receive the same First Amendment protection as, say, a lame show on ABC Family (which is cable, not broadcast) purporting to be about Greek life.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that the negative that will come from this show are the idiots that try to rush because they think that it is going to be like what they have seen on the show. It is the responsibility of chapters to weed out the bad seeds. We all need to have faith in our abilities to recruit new members and ensure that new members are not initiated unless they uphold the ideals of our fraternities and sororities.

Keep in mind that the President of ABC Entertainment is a Phi Delta Theta from Cornell, Steve McPherson. I can't believe that he would make a show that he felt was truly going to harm the Greek Community.

The show is what we make of it. Any publicity is good publicity I think that this may cause people who never considered rushing a Greek Letter Organization to come by and check it out. Like I said before we will have to weed out the bad seeds but this may lead to finding some Brothers or Sisters that would have never considered your organization previously.

This show may drive some of the people on the fence about Greek life to not rush but in the end we will have to bring them back and show them the good that is behind our organizations.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Mysticcat, are you familiar with the term, 'oh snap!' or 'pwned!'?

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 06-21-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuKnight172 View Post
Keep in mind that the President of ABC Entertainment is a Phi Delta Theta from Cornell, Steve McPherson. I can't believe that he would make a show that he felt was truly going to harm the Greek Community.
For the right advertising dollar and ratings price, I'm pretty sure he would.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuKnight172 View Post

I hope Al Gore runs in 2008 as a Green Party Candidate. I always love when liberals split their base. If Gore ran as a Green Party member he will only help the Republicans win a third straight term.
And a fat lot of good that will do the entire nation. Not that it's going to happen.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

We'd all like to think that our politicians have "better things to spend political capital on" but in most cases, that isn't true. Have you heard of pork barrel spending and pushing one's own agenda? Are we now going to say that politicians are all honest, good people, who only spend time on issues that are "worthwhile"? Does Terry Schiavo ring a bell to any one? And I beg to differ on your definition of censorship. Ratings are censorship, insomuch as they seek to prohibit certain people in society from viewing or listening to certain material... I don't know about being "owned," either, to a later poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Any elected official worth paying attention to has many, many better things to expend political capital on. They wouldn't waste time on a silly ABC Family series.

And in case you didn't know, TV show ratings and CD ratings are not censorship. Censorship means that the government or someone else with authority (such as a religious leader) is actually suppressing content deemed by the goverment (or religious body) to be objectionable for whatever reason, thus preventing people subject to their authority from seeing the "offending" material or imposing penalties for defying the censor's decision. That's not the case with TV show or CD ratings.

Recording companies themselves decide whether to put Tipper Stickers on CDs and what warning to give, and the sticker doesn't keep anybody from buying the CD. Similarly, networks themselves decide what TV Parental Guidelines to put on their shows, and those guidelines don't keep anyone from watching the shows. The only possible censorship involved with TV or CD ratings is parental censorship.

With nudity on broadcast TV, you might have a point. But the reality is that nudity broadcast on airwaves that are legally considered to be publically owned does not receive the same First Amendment protection as, say, a lame show on ABC Family (which is cable, not broadcast) purporting to be about Greek life.

Last edited by kathykd2005; 06-21-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling