GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
LaneSig

Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A couple of questions regarding rush

So I have decided that I will rush this coming spring at the University of Arkansas. But I have a few questions...

First, I don't drink. I love going to parties, but I won't drink when I'm there. Will this be a problem in any way? Will anyone care if I choose not to drink?

Second, I know at least three people who could write a reccomendation letter for me to one fraternity. But I'm not sure if that is the fraternity I want to join. Should I have all three of these people write a letter for me or just one?

Any other advice would be great.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 PM

I tend to think that not drinking isn't a huge deal, so long as you aren't self-righteous about it (and don't look down on/talk about people who DO drink).

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

elephant walk can answer your arkansas questions, if he is so inclined.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 11-10-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED123 View Post
So I have decided that I will rush this coming spring at the University of Arkansas. But I have a few questions...

First, I don't drink. I love going to parties, but I won't drink when I'm there. Will this be a problem in any way? Will anyone care if I choose not to drink?

Second, I know at least three people who could write a reccomendation letter for me to one fraternity. But I'm not sure if that is the fraternity I want to join. Should I have all three of these people write a letter for me or just one?

Let as many guys as you can know that you are interested in rushing. If they're looking for members I'm sure they'll make an effort to introduce you to more brothers in the Chapter. Those guys will probably write you recommendation letters.

Try to brand yourself as you're coming into Recruitment. Be very honest about your flaws, but try and help the brothers look at them optimistically. Don't be cocky or rude. Now is not the time to try and play "hard to get". Keep an open mind.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
elephant walk can answer your arkansas questions, it he is so inclined.
That depends on what his story is today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Really?

Because when you first came on GC you said you were a member at LSU. Then you said you were a transfer to Arkansas.
Then when an Arkansas member of KS came on here and asked which fraternity you belonged to you admitted that you weren't active after all and said they were a bunch of "Shanes" that you refused to affiliate with.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

oooh..... snap!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Just an FYI - Fraternities normally don't do "recommendation" letters. If they are alumns of the fraternity, they can just send an e-mail to the rush chairman, telling them they know a guy on campus who is interested in rushing, check him out, etc.
If they are active members of the fraternity, they can just invite or bring you to the rush party.

Sigma Chi does have a letter of introduction that alumns can send to HQ, which is forwarded to the chapters. I don't know if other fraternities have something similar or not. Good luck.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
oooh..... snap!
Yeah, there's some good reading out there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousxi View Post
ElephantWalk, what fraternity are you in at UA?
A Kappa Sig from LSU that refuses to re-affiliate with shanes.

Quote:
I did Fall at Arkansas, so I know at least a little bit.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Do you mean that you rushed during the Fall semester?
I did.
Quote:
How big was your pledge class versus the following spring class?
58 vs. 10 ( and I'm not sure the full 10 made it)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

1. Some fraternities might want to know why you don't drink, so my advice is to be honest and it shouldn't be a problem. I have friends in all of the "big" fraternities at Arkansas that don't drink. Also, many who are members of their fraternities exec, so it definitely hasn't been detrimental towards their success.

2. I've never heard of guys having letters of recommendation at Arkansas. While it is absolutely essential for girls' rush, I don't think it is necessary for you, but an introductory email from an alum wouldn't hurt your chances.

3. GOOOO OUT! Spring rush is all about getting yourself out there and getting to know the guys before it starts. If you're really interested in a house then they need to know! On that note, don't limit yourself because you think you know what you want. One of the great things about Arkansas is that it allows you to meet ALL of the houses. You really need to keep your options open as a potential pledge, while being true to yourself. A way to get to know other fraternity members is through guys who have already pledged that live in your dorm. Go out with them and see how you feel. Also, if you have close girl-friends that you know hangout at a particular house, don't be afraid to let them know you're interested in that house. They'll most likely let the members they know know about you, and you could end up with an invite to hangout!

Good luck with rush! Greek life at Arkansas is an amazing and life altering experience!!!