GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,538
0 members and 1,538 guests
No Members online

Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Rush at the University of Arkansas

Does anyone know about fraternity recruitment during the spring at the University of Arkansas? I am currently a freshman, and I wasn't able to rush in the fall. How many fraternities participate in spring rush? Would it be better to wait until the fall of my sophmore year? Also, I'm a biochem major in honors, and it looks like my schedual will be really heavy this spring. Does anyone think I won't have time to rush? Any kind of advice would be great.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Generally, most fraternities at most campuses conduct a Spring Rush. It usually is smaller and not as intense as Fall Rush.

As for your schedule and major: look around in your classes and see if there are fraternity members. Introduce yourself and ask them how they handle the scheduling for your major and a fraternity. Good luck.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED123 View Post
Does anyone know about fraternity recruitment during the spring at the University of Arkansas?
Yes.
Quote:
How many fraternities participate in spring rush?
I believe all will.
Quote:
Would it be better to wait until the fall of my sophmore year?
I don't know how to answer this.

Here is what you're looking at:
In the fall, people will see that you're a sophomore. May not get as many bids to houses because you're a sophomore.
However...
In the spring, people will forever see you as a spring. Your own brothers will lovingly end their arguments with you by saying "you're a spring, shut up" or "springs have no souls". Honestly, I'd rather be a spring than a GDI...so, yeah.

So you have those two options.

Quote:
Does anyone think I won't have time to rush? Any kind of advice would be great.
You'll have plenty of time to rush in the Spring. It's pretty laid back. Any time the brothers can welcome you over will be a time you can rush. Now pledging might be a little bit different. Pledging will take up more time as a Spring since you have fewer brothers for manual labor.

I did Fall at Arkansas, so I know at least a little bit.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by Elephant Walk; 11-01-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
However...
In the spring, people will forever see you as a spring. Your own brothers will lovingly end their arguments with you by saying "you're a spring, shut up" or "springs have no souls". Honestly, I'd rather be a spring than a GDI...so, yeah.
Pardon my lane swerve, but I'm curious as to why there is this perception. I am assuming that emphasizing a brother is a "spring" means that he got in through the back door? I always thought fraternities were not subject to total/quota and aren't pressured to be at a certain number, so every brother is wanted and not taken for the sake of numbers. Or is this off?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Pardon my lane swerve, but I'm curious as to why there is this perception. I am assuming that emphasizing a brother is a "spring" means that he got in through the back door? I always thought fraternities were not subject to total/quota and aren't pressured to be at a certain number, so every brother is wanted and not taken for the sake of numbers. Or is this off?
I should've added the caveat that it depends on the size of the house, but in general this idea holds true for the houses that are over a 90 members. (which would probably mean over half of the houses at UofA)

It's a combination of a perceived "back door", and assumptions that you weren't full bore enough about Greek life to go in through the Fall, small pledge class numbers, and the thought that part of the reason the Spring class was taken is simply to have pledge drivers/a clean house (manual labor in general). I don't think most houses would take spring pledges except that we need designated drivers during the Spring, as well as party marshalls and the like.

The quality of the spring classes also tends to be not as good as the Fall, which compounds it.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes.

I believe all will.

I don't know how to answer this.

Here is what you're looking at:
In the fall, people will see that you're a sophomore. May not get as many bids to houses because you're a sophomore.
However...

So you have those two options.

You'll have plenty of time to rush in the Spring. It's pretty laid back. Any time the brothers can welcome you over will be a time you can rush. Now pledging might be a little bit different. Pledging will take up more time as a Spring since you have fewer brothers for manual labor.

Do you mean that you rushed during the Fall semester? How big was your pledge class versus the following spring class?

ETA: I have family at U of A, so I was interested.

Last edited by ree-Xi; 11-02-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Do you mean that you rushed during the Fall semester?
I did.

Quote:
How big was your pledge class versus the following spring class?
58 vs. 10 ( and I'm not sure the full 10 made it)
Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

There is definitely a stigma to being a spring pledge (I was a fall pledge, thank God), and it really doesn't correlate to chapter size in my opinion.

There are a variety of reasons spring classes tend to be sucky - both on the part of the actives and pledges. Actives tend to not care as much about spring rush since "spring classes are usually smaller" and won't work as hard to recruit outstanding men. Also smaller classes create less enthusiasm towards the pledge program (i.e. "all this work for such a small number..."). Both of these are dumb reasons, but unfortunate realities.

In terms of the pledges, most of your really good guys already rushed in the Fall. I think the character of a spring pledge is a little less motivated and a little less accomplished. It doesn't mean they become bad brothers, it's just that combined with laziness on the chapter side they're not the shining stars you see in fall classes.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Really?

Because when you first came on GC you said you were a member at LSU. Then you said you were a transfer to Arkansas.
Then when an Arkansas member of KS came on here and asked which fraternity you belonged to you admitted that you weren't active after all and said they were a bunch of "Shanes" that you refused to affiliate with.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
There is definitely a stigma to being a spring pledge (I was a fall pledge, thank God), and it really doesn't correlate to chapter size in my opinion.

There are a variety of reasons spring classes tend to be sucky - both on the part of the actives and pledges. Actives tend to not care as much about spring rush since "spring classes are usually smaller" and won't work as hard to recruit outstanding men. Also smaller classes create less enthusiasm towards the pledge program (i.e. "all this work for such a small number..."). Both of these are dumb reasons, but unfortunate realities.

In terms of the pledges, most of your really good guys already rushed in the Fall. I think the character of a spring pledge is a little less motivated and a little less accomplished. It doesn't mean they become bad brothers, it's just that combined with laziness on the chapter side they're not the shining stars you see in fall classes.
Good God.

I'm so glad I went to a school where no one gave a shit what semester you pledged in and how old you were when you did it - girls AND guys.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not as drastic here as what EW describes. For example, no one would say, "Your opinion doesn't count because you're a spring pledge."

I think the problem is largely on the atmosphere created by the brothers and a general lack of enthusiasm towards smaller spring classes. Like I said this is the fault of the active members, and if they were recruiting the right way it probably wouldn't be a problem. But yeah, I'm glad I pledged in the fall when the membership was more enthusiastic about my Associate Member Program.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
It's not as drastic here as what EW describes. For example, no one would say, "Your opinion doesn't count because you're a spring pledge."
That's why I say lovingly.

People have said that...and often. But I wouldn't consider it something purposely mean. Just shouting someone down during an unruly but friendly debate.

Quote:
I think the problem is largely on the atmosphere created by the brothers and a general lack of enthusiasm towards smaller spring classes. Like I said this is the fault of the active members, and if they were recruiting the right way it probably wouldn't be a problem.
That is a great deal of it.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Really?

Because when you first came on GC you said you were a member at LSU. Then you said you were a transfer to Arkansas.
Then when an Arkansas member of KS came on here and asked which fraternity you belonged to you admitted that you weren't active after all and said they were a bunch of "Shanes" that you refused to affiliate with.
Someone on the Internet lying about who they are??? Inconceivable!!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Really?

So I'm not the only one who noticed...