GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,079
1 members and 1,078 guests
zabryashulze790

Old 08-20-2007, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGAChiO View Post
There is another way around the situation for your daughter. I am not condoning this in any way but I saw this happen many times in my chapter and other sororities at my school. Girls from UGA who were not able to get in the chapter they wanted transferred mid-year to my school where they tried to pick up a bid through COB and then if successful, they pledged, initiated, then transfered back to UGA the next year and petitioned for affiliation with that chapter.
This really doesn't work very well anymore, from what I have heard. I don't know how common this used to be, but now the "name" houses are already at or over total, so they don't have room to take these girls either.

And they are pretty wise to this ploy, too.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I know it's been done, but I certainly would never recommend it as a sane option!
I agree.

While it's been done, I don't think it should even be thrown out there as an option. The risks definitely outweigh the benefits here.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
Just wondering....how accurate are these results?
they came straight from a report from UGA greek life, from their ICS system

I've also sent you a PM
Old 08-20-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Early Release and Quota

I actually talked to the recruitment advisor at our national office and she was very aware of many of the things we've discussed on this thread. She helped me understand some things about rush that were new to me. Evidently on some campuses where the "good" sororities were getting bigger and the weaker sororities were getting smaller there has been an Early Release policy instituted. As I understand it, houses who do not think there is a likelihood that a rushee will receive a bid are encouraged to release them after first round so that they will go back to other houses where they are more likely to get a bid. The idea benefits the rushee (theoretically) because she doesn't keep strong houses who aren't going to invite her back later at the expense of less popular or less known sororities who would keep her all the way through. Prefs are also weighted to allow smaller chapters to have more girls at their parties than houses who have filled quota repeatedly. This wouldn't lessen the sting of a legacy being cut after first round but the first round cut isn't the slap in the face it would have been before early release was introduced.
But a quota of 56 at a school like Georgia? Bama had quota in the 70's. Maybe the early release policy is causing more girls to drop out and by the time quota is figured the numbers are smaller.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

This is true at many schools now using release figures, chapters are forced to cut more and sooner. Thus quality women may get released after first round more so than in years past. Sometimes as well, girls are nervous in first rounds (actives and pnm's) and legacies may be more nervous in their legacy house which may result in less than favorable conversation or perceived shyness.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherjb View Post
But a quota of 56 at a school like Georgia? Bama had quota in the 70's. Maybe the early release policy is causing more girls to drop out and by the time quota is figured the numbers are smaller.
Alabama has fewer sororities than Georgia participating in rush. That's why quota is higher.
I think the early release method has proved it is helping smaller groups. More are pledging quota or very close to it.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelleADPi View Post
Here's a question I have about writing recs, PNMs, and chapters at UGA: Are there some sororities that tend to accept PNMs MAINLY from one particular area of Atlanta and/or private school sector, etc? I say mainly to acknowledge the few others they may accept; but I keep hearing over and over that certain groups will reject great PNMs from other places in the state (or states) in favor of great PNMs from a particular area/burb/school. Membership/bids-accepted lists seem to validate this. Comments?
There are definitely groups known for being out-of-state-friendly and groups known for being Georgia-only or certain-parts-of-Georgia-only. Not having been present for MS for the latter two, I can't verify whether this is true or if it's merely coincidence.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose it's possible that a few girls might have made a stronger impression after two rounds than after one, but I honestly think that at UGA, the girls still used to drop out of rush; it was just all at once right before prefs when everyone pretty much got released by all the groups who didn't them on the bid list-- right at the same time. They saw where they were preffing and quit. (And this ended up hurting smaller groups because quota was set based of pref. invites, if I remember correctly, so it basically meant there weren't even enough girls left in the process for all the groups to make quota.)

I think there's a tendency for PNMs and parents to imagine that if a girl went back to more parties with a group, she would get a chance to shine and the groups would give her a bid.

But I don't really think that's how it ever happened at UGA.

Even before release figures, I think probably the top third of groups by what we'd call return rate today had 80-90% of their bid lists in mind based on girls they already knew from their hometowns. The middle third took about 50% girls they knew of before and 50% good candidates who they first met at recruitment. And the bottom third by return rate, might have gotten 25% girls they knew before recruitment and then had 75% of their pledge class from good candidates during rush.

My point is that even with three rounds to make an impression, I don't think that a girls real chance of pledging was ever really that much better than it is today.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Dee, that's "cultural diversity."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
http://www.uga.edu/panhellenic/Libra...cement2007.htm

I apologize if this was posted before. I just saw it and thought others might have missed it. UGA posted a list!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechpath View Post
This is true at many schools now using release figures, chapters are forced to cut more and sooner. Thus quality women may get released after first round more so than in years past. Sometimes as well, girls are nervous in first rounds (actives and pnm's) and legacies may be more nervous in their legacy house which may result in less than favorable conversation or perceived shyness.
This new release policy was instituted at WVU 2 years ago. The sororities who have the highest return rates have to drop the most girls the first day. My chapter rushed #1 2 years ago, so last fall rush we had to drop over 1/3 of the girls rushing after the first round. Like estherjb said, this is to encourage PNMs going back to other "smaller" houses. In my opinion, I like the policy. Chapters who cut heavily still made quota, as well as some houses that typically don't.

Last edited by WVU alpha phi; 08-21-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Red & Black

I'm posting a link to the Red&Black for a sad article of attempted suicide. The reason I'm putting it here is because of a comment made by a former UGA police officer. Someone else made a post to the police officer, but perhaps the campus Panhellenic could "advise" the UGA police on using better discretion since Greek Life is supported by the University. It also seems that the Red&Black does not "support" Greek Life based on previous articles that I've read online.

http://www.redandblack.com/home/inde...3-fec525c136d4

Also If you have not seen the articles of recent crime in Athens or if your student has not read their emails from UGA police yesterday and today, please encourage them to read them and to be extra cautious around campus at all times. It never hurts for us to remind them!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGAChiO View Post
There is another way around the situation for your daughter. I am not condoning this in any way but I saw this happen many times in my chapter and other sororities at my school. Girls from UGA who were not able to get in the chapter they wanted transferred mid-year to my school where they tried to pick up a bid through COB and then if successful, they pledged, initiated, then transfered back to UGA the next year and petitioned for affiliation with that chapter.
I've heard stories about this sort of thing happening too. I've heard of girls deciding which sorority they want to belong to at the big ultra-competitive University. They research small schools and pick one with a weak Chapter of that sorority. Presumably it's easy to pledge there. They don't want to run the risk of getting cut or "stuck" with a bid to another sorority on their intended campus. So after initiating, they transfer at the end of that first semester.

Problem is they didn't count on not being welcomed with open arms as a sister. They're shocked to discover that the Chapter wasn't obligated to let them affiliate. So they wind up being a 2nd semester Freshman on alum status. Not quite what they had in mind for their college years.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post

Problem is they didn't count on not being welcomed with open arms as a sister. They're shocked to discover that the Chapter wasn't obligated to let them affiliate. So they wind up being a 2nd semester Freshman on alum status. Not quite what they had in mind for their college years.
See I was wondering about this. I know alot of the larger chapters at schools like UGA, Ole Miss, and LSU probably have quite a few women trying to transfer in, and I know that affiliating with a new chapter isn't always an automatic thing.

There is a girl I know from one of my classes in undergrad who joined XYZ at another school in our conference, and transfered to my school her soph. year because the XYZ chapter here is bigger and in her words, "cooler" than the one where she pledged.

She met the KSU XYZ's for a few weeks and they were the polar opposite of this girl. They also had a few other girls attempting to transfer into their chapter during avery busy spring semester.Long story short, they ended up not asking her to affiliate.

So her plan backfired and she's an alumna of her sorority as a soph. in college who wishes she'd stayed at her old school. Girls need to really stop and think before doing this because it isn't a sure thing. And nobody wants to be an alumna as a freshman or sophomore.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I am fairly sure that I know who this article is talking about. If it is the girl I am speaking of, she did not go thru rush at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelessUGAmom View Post
I'm posting a link to the Red&Black for a sad article of attempted suicide. The reason I'm putting it here is because of a comment made by a former UGA police officer. Someone else made a post to the police officer, but perhaps the campus Panhellenic could "advise" the UGA police on using better discretion since Greek Life is supported by the University. It also seems that the Red&Black does not "support" Greek Life based on previous articles that I've read online.

http://www.redandblack.com/home/inde...3-fec525c136d4

Also If you have not seen the articles of recent crime in Athens or if your student has not read their emails from UGA police yesterday and today, please encourage them to read them and to be extra cautious around campus at all times. It never hurts for us to remind them!