GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,439
2 members and 2,437 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-06-2002, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I was not cut.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2002, 04:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
i just smiled and bit my tounge alot. esp. when this ditzy girl was going on and on about it. i was like "hello! rush me!" and she kept saying stupid things like "do you have a quicky mart?, do you have a brother who gets in lots of trouble?" or "you have blonde hair too!". I just wanted to yell at the girl "yes, i have blonde hair, i suck on a pacifier all the time, my mother has blue hair and wears a green strapless dress all the time, and my father works at a nuclear power plant!" it was so hard to keep my mouth shut. I was kinda glad when they dropped me even if they are a really good house. I just don't know if I could have been sisters with a girl who ACTUALLY thought i was maggie simpson.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Oh this is embarassing.

Ok, so when I get nervous I do and say really stupid things. So, my first day of rush I was talking to this girl and she aksed me what I had done over the week. I was really nervous because I really wanted the sorority I was at, so I said, "I taught my friend how to polka!" Strangely, it was true. I know how to polka and I think it's fun, and I had taught my friend how the night before (you should try it, really). She said, "oh that's cool." I in my overzealousness asked her, "Do you want me to teach you too?" Without an answer I tried to teach her how to polka and we ended up doing a few steps around the rush room. The worst part was then when the next girl asked what we were doing I offered to teach her too! They were the only sorority that cut me. What was I thinking?!?!
Old 08-06-2002, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I was really nervous in the KD room second day (the first day that you get to sit and talk to the girls) and I was afraid I was going to come across as a dork or a loser or something... but I came across opposite, instead. First, I cussed. Yup, the first sentence out of my mouth included a cuss word. I actually told one of the DZ's about it later on that week (I didn't mention which sorority, just said that it was a sorority known for being "ladylike") and she laughed and said, "Yeah, I think I know the sorority you're talking about, and they probably WOULD cut you for that!" She wasn't being mean, we were just laughing about my stupidity. Then, later on, I told the girl that it doesn't matter what sorority you're in, as long as you're greek (wrong for SOOO many reasons). I also hugged one of the girls on my way in (probably made me come across as a dork). Then, we were talking about how I felt pressured to go KD because my ex was KA (KA-KD in South Carolina= VERY tight fraternity/sorority relations) and she asked me if we had a hard break-up (uh, yeah we did!) and I almost started crying!!!!! ARGH!!! I think she could tell that I was upset, because she changed the subject. Yeah, was not surprised at ALL when I didn't get invited back to third round. Other than that, the only funny reason I got cut (which wasn't so funny) was because I told a girl straight out that I knew I wouldn't be invited back because I was a sophomore. Her jaw just kind of dropped, and I could practically see my name being scratched off the list. (This wasn't KD, this was another sorority)
Old 08-06-2002, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Phisigsigchic~ Yay for jersey girl britney fans! Way to represent

We also got a girl a few years ago who just randomly started crying in the middle of one of the parties... she wasn't talking about anything emotional AT ALL, I think she had just been asked what classes she was taking or something and she just lost it. Turns out that she was rushing for a second time after a disasterous freshman rush and was a wreck--to the point where she had these crying fits in all the parties. Later on, one of my sisters was asked to describe her and all she could come up with was "emotionally unstable".... which seemed pretty suitable, as sad as the whole situation was!

*C*
Old 08-06-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's my story....

My older sister went to the same college that I go to now, and she graduated a few years ago. She was in a sorority while she went there, and when I went to rush parties at that house, I just loved it. The first 2 days, I was rushed by really great people and I had a blast. But on the 3rd day, I was talking to the girl who was rushing me and everything seemed to be going along smoothly. The day after that one would be pref day, and when my sister rushed that house, she told me the basic plot of the skit-type-thing they did for pref day, and we both thought it was really cute. So, I asked the girl who rushed me if they were still using that idea, and she said yes without making it seem like I had asked an inappropriate question. Then, the next day, I got my list of houses that I was supposed to go to for prefs, and that house wasn't on it. I had never intended to sound like I thought I would automatically be asked back there or anything of that nature, but I guess maybe she interpreted it that way or something. Funny how an innocent comment can get blown out of proportion and decide your future, eh? (But come on, if they're still using the same skit they used literally 10 years ago, I probably wouldn't have fit in there anyway. I believe change is a good thing). lol. And now that I know girls in their new pledge class at that house, as much as I like those girls and know how well they fit in there, it makes me realize that I found the perfect home for me. Thank God!
Old 08-06-2002, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to StarDust7381
coulda been easily avoided....

I think I would have been invited back to the houses that were originally my top choices if I hadn't made a few stupid mistakes. I was ridiculously nervous at KKG because everyone kept saying how they're all about prestige and looks (which is soo not true and I love my Kappa friends who are all sweet down to earth girls) but you know how it is when people say stupid stuff and you're already nervous to start with and the nervousness just gets worse! I was just completely a nervous wreck there and felt like i was the biggest dork and completely clammed up instead of being my usual fun self. The girls probably thought that I was either completely bored or that i was boring! The next day I missed dinner prior to rush evening. I didn't know that I am hypoglycemic(sp?) and an hour into the night, I was on the verge of fainting. I didn't mind so much at the first house bc thier girls have always been awfully mean to me and i was just surprised I had been invited back. Two hours later, I was at AXO- my top choice and i was just barely holding it together. Needless to say, I was completely incoherent. I just kept saying how I loved the house and the girls and how it was the only house I wanted-but probably came across as babbling and flakey. I feel bad for the girl who I talked with because she probably thought I was a moron and I felt bad for my friend in the house because she was pulling so hard for me to be her sister.

I love my Alpha Gams
As for my condition....I learned my lesson later in the year. I had moved into the AGD house after living with the ugliest b*tchiest girl on campus 1st semester. Late into the semester, I had pulled an all nighter and avoided eating bc it was late-PLUS I had been sick ALL semester. The next morning, I came downstairs to lunch bc it was grilled cheese & tomato soup day. The next thing I knew, I was flat on my back on the floor with a *very concerned Jessica* above me.(Sorry Jess for scaring the crap out of you!) I passed out again and woke to find the ambulance people poking and prodding at me. I was at the ER all day too (Thank you Hollie for saving me from my insane mother harping and ranting at me!) Now all my sisters make sure I eat and make sure I am healthy. (BTW, we had firetrucks and ambulances at teh house 3 days in a row that week.)

In my case, I think my quote below is literally and figuratively true...

Last edited by StarDust7381; 08-06-2002 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Chalk this up to being a freshman that didn't know any better.

I was at ADII and as most of you know they were founded on christian values, the sister that was rushing me had just finished telling me about that and... Having just graduated from a private parochial school, and having been pretty involved in the church I asked if they had Bible studies and stuff. My guess is that I came off sounding really religious or something (not that that's bad) and that wasn't what they were looking for. Oh well, it worked out in the end cause I ended up where I belonged
Old 08-08-2002, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to APhiDarling
Red face

Oh gosh!
When I was going through rush we had two parties the first day, and the next seven the following day! That's a lot of parties to continually have to look smiley and perky! My last two were Theta and Gamma Phi. At Theta, the girls were really nice and I had heard nice things about them, though I was already pretty keen on APhi and Pi Phi. Anyway, I was talking to this Theta about how I'm a ballet dancer, and she asked me about what pointe shoes were made of. I was pretty delirious at this point from so much talking and no eating, and when I told her they were made of wood I wouldn't let it go. I was like yeah, "pointe shoes are great. you can carry them around instead of mace. they'd make great weapons if someone tried to mug you." I don't know what I was thinking. I was laughing and she was too, but I think she was laughing more at me. Then Gamma Phi was last, and all the girls were sitting on the floor and the rushees sat on chairs. I was so exhausted at this point, I was like, "How come you are aren't sitting on chairs? Don't you have enough?" I think it came out really snotty, and I don't think the gamma phi really liked it. In the end it didn't matter though. I dropped both those houses, before I found out they dropped me. In the end it was between Pi Phi and APhi, two of the top four houses. I flipped a coin, and capital L - Love where I am now!!
Old 08-08-2002, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't know anything about any of the sororities going into rush except for the reputations of 2. During the first rounds of rush I was sitting in the suite of one of them and all I could think of was how I had been told these girls were the rich, beautiful girls. So I got all nervous and totally lost my mind momentarily and started going on and on about how I love spending money, I get it from my daddy, my friends and I were considered princesses in high school-oh good lord, it got worse and worse the more I realized how ridiculous I sounded! That definitnely had something to do with my getting cut!
Old 08-09-2002, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
I was not cut.
me either

I also rushed before panhel was on our campus, and D PHi E was the only sorority I was interested in. Had I not get in, I wouldn't have pledged at all.

I'm amazed at some of the stories I'm reading here, the east coast is really different than the south & western houses.

Oh, and I would never be embarrased to say that Buffy is my favorite show, and if someone had a problem with it, too bad on them. I'm certainly not going to pretend to be someone I'm not to make someone like me.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I go to a school with 15 NPC sororities, so rush is long a grueling. plus it's florida, and florida in august is not fun. well, it was the last house of the first day, and I was exhausted. all day, the first thing grils would do was offer to take my purse for me. So when we got to the pi phi house at the end of the day, I was so tired that I kind of just shoved my stuff in the face of the girl rushing me. Looking back, I probably would have thought that was majorly rude if someone did that to me. I think that had something to do with not getting asked back there.
Old 08-11-2002, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I was cut because....

....it was the mid 1970's, Vietnam was ending and I was in ROTC at Southern Cal! I did not say anything about it voluntarily as I knew many students at that time were anti-war & anti military...but at one house, the gal whose turn it was to chat with me kept pressing about what had I done over the summer, blah blah blah and I had been vague about having been out of town and then I admitted I was camping and she kept going on about camps and being a counselor and all that stuff and she finally asked what kind of camp I had been to and I just could not beat around the bush any more and I told her: "It was ROTC summer camp, we marched in formation, shot guns, did survival techniques, flew in airplanes & helicopters, and stuff like that..." The horrified gasp that emitted from her mouth and the look of scorn on her face told me that I would be dropped ASAP from that house and of course I was! Oh well, I ended up in the BEST sorority anyways & the one I really wanted all along -- The Gamma Phis could have cared less that I was in ROTC, in fact they were proud of me -- women made up less than 1% of all cadets in ROTC at that time at USC....so it showed that I had leadership & organization skills plus, I was also pretty involved at USC (I did not rush as a Freshman) -- I was on swim team and in the official University Hostess club, I worked at the bookstore and was a Flag Girl in the fantastic Trojan Marching band (of course, many thought of THAT as another geeky thing about me --LOL!) I retired in 1998 after a 22 year Air Force career -- I am very heavily involved with Gamma Phi Beta and always will be!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 08-11-2002 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any stories b/c I was COB'd. But it's okay b/c I love where I am and had I gone through formal recruitment, it would have taken several days to join the sorority I was most interested in -- Alpha Phi. I tend to be impatient, so COB'ing was the best thing for me.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiDiva
Talking saving the "best" for last

When I was a naive freshman, I rushed and became nearly obsessed with an organization on my campus (which I refuse to mention now for bitter rivalry reasons!), and was doing all that I could to fit in and make the best impression. When it came time for open house (2 hour time slot to visit the houses you were invited back to) I was late starting and ended up getting caught up in one of my least favorite houses (they weren't all that established on my campus) talking to some girl from my home town. I ended up running to my dream house and barely making it before the doors closed. I was devastated when I opened my envelop and their bid wasn't inside. But something about theb uttrflies on the bid from teh house that was newer struck me and so I entered their room to greet my 11 other pledge sisters! (we were the 2nd largest pledge class that spring!)
It's funny I didn't get a bid from them and I wondered why until I spoke with an active (from their org.) and found out they thought I wasn't interested in their org. since I didn't even make a point to greet their women at open house.
Needless to say, I was surprised, but Oh My Goodness did things turn out for the best. My sisters are my family on campus, and the sister I got caught up talking to ended up one of my closest friends, and once I saw the girls the org. I thought I wanted chose, it intensified my conviction that things happen for a reason and they end up for the better in the end.
It's funny how we don't always know what's best for us...trusting fate is not so bad!