GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 747
3 members and 744 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

blackball.. now what?

what do you tell someone who tells you that they have been blackballed and dropped by the sorority that want, but still want to be a greek?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

If somebody told me that, I would ask them why the felt they had been blackballed and if they knew what being blackballed really meant.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

im on the phone with her as i type this. she arent sure how come. theres a system of demerits and once a certain number is hit, blackball happens. so what do i tell her? and what does it really mean for her?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_babii View Post
im on the phone with her as i type this. she arent sure how come. theres a system of demerits and once a certain number is hit, blackball happens. so what do i tell her? and what does it really mean for her?
Based on your mention of demerits, it sounds as if your friend violated her orgs policies in some way. I am not sure what you mean by blackball though. That is generally not a term I would associate with getting into trouble too many times.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
Based on your mention of demerits, it sounds as if your friend violated her orgs policies in some way. I am not sure what you mean by blackball though. That is generally not a term I would associate with getting into trouble too many times.
im a little confused with the terms here. from what i got from her, isn't blackballed when the sorority drops you before initiation?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Blackball used to be only used for pledging. I've not heard the term used with regard to women's groups in years.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
im a little confused with the terms here. from what i got from her, isn't blackballed when the sorority drops you before initiation?
No, that's just getting dropped.

Blackballing can mean a lot of different things but it's generally in regard to not being voted in to an organization.

The big point, however, is that your friend has been dropped from this organization (which doesn't sound like an NPC sorority). The best thing she can do is speak to whoever is in charge of pledges, ask her if the decision is really final, and if she tried to pledge again, would she be wasting her time.

That's all I can say generally -- even if I had more information, it wouldn't change much.

I personally would not try to pledge another organization while in undergrad after being dropped from one.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
No, that's just getting dropped.

Blackballing can mean a lot of different things but it's generally in regard to not being voted in to an organization.

The big point, however, is that your friend has been dropped from this organization (which doesn't sound like an NPC sorority). The best thing she can do is speak to whoever is in charge of pledges, ask her if the decision is really final, and if she tried to pledge again, would she be wasting her time.

That's all I can say generally -- even if I had more information, it wouldn't change much.

I personally would not try to pledge another organization while in undergrad after being dropped from one.

ohh man.. how do i tell her that she can't pledge elsewhere as an undergrad anymore. does being dropped from one sorority make it impossible or near impossible to pledge for another one?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't say she couldn't. I just believe it would be hard to do so.

What kind of sorority did she pledge?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think what Senusret I meant was that if they did something bad enough to be dropped from membership, then most likely it would not be worth it to pledge another org. Not saying that your friend couldn't (unless it is an NPC org and then she would have to wait a year). I think it is more along the lines of why would you pledge somewhere else after getting kicked out?

Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

she was going for an asian-interest one. one of the largest in the nation. im not sure if im allowed to say the name on this site because i dont want her to get into any trouble.

what does NPC mean? and how can you tell whether one sorority is or not?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
she was going for an asian-interest one. one of the largest in the nation. im not sure if im allowed to say the name on this site because i dont want her to get into any trouble.

what does NPC mean? and how can you tell whether one sorority is or not?
If it's an Asian interest one, it's not one. So moot point.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
aKDPhi. Just say it already.
LOL right? narrows it WAY down once you said that.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Why are you doing this woman's 'research' for her? Is she incapable of a little investigation? Is she not getting this important information from the organization she sought to join?

Without more, OP, you seem like you're meddling in things which don't concern you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
aKDPhi. Just say it already.
No its not.