GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,358
1 members and 1,357 guests
TLLK

Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Wrongful Death Lawsuit - U Delaware Sigma Alpha Mu

A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed after the death of a U of Delaware student:

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/a...entsdeath.html

Excerpt:

[I]The family of a University of Delaware freshman who died after an off-campus party has filed a wrongful death suit.

The suit . . . claims Sigma Alpha Mu members forced Brett Griffin of Kendall Park, N.J., to drink alcohol, but did not call for assistance for hours after he passed out.

It names the national fraternity, its local chapter and five students, including fraternity officers, . . . . [I]
Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Update: Delaware Attorney General's Office Charges Sigma Alpha Mu Chpter with Hazing

See:

http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...ed+with+hazing
Old 05-23-2009, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Update May 23 '09: Suspension Until 2013 (at least); Terms of Suspension, etc.

http://cbs3.com/delawarewire/22.0.ht...dent-Death.xml

Excerpts from report:

The University of Delaware has suspended until 2013 a fraternity where a pledge died of alcohol poisoning last year.
The university confirmed the suspension on Friday. One day earlier, the Delaware Attorney General's Office announced it had filed a criminal hazing charge against the Delta Lambda chapter of Sigma Alpha Mu.
. . . The fraternity is barred from engaging in social activities on campus, using university buildings or property, receiving university funding and participating in university-sponsored events. . . .
Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Their charter's not revoked though, is it?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-25-2009, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Their charter's not revoked though, is it?

I searched the Univ. Of Delaware's Greek website and it looks like they (SAM) are no longer recognized by both the University and the IFC. Also, the SAM National website does not mention anything about their charter being revoked.

ZBT:" Inspiring Today's College Men To Become Leaders Of Tomorrow."
Old 05-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I thought. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions. There are still several nationals (mine has been known to do this) which will allow their chapters to exist sans university recognition. TKE actually did this on my campus when I was in undergrad.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma