GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,641
1 members and 1,640 guests
Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
We do not discuss membership on this forum. I suggest you continue to research, and look around your specific campus/community for the answers you seek. It will make your life easier. http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93413
Quick Note: To make the "We" more specific, I'd say that the NPHC GLOs don't discuss membership on this forum (and that I agree the question very much related to the NPHC GLOs.) However a similar question for non-NPHC groups would be more likely to get a response.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&&Confused View Post
I was a zeta interest for 2 years but during the last 6 months I have realized that I am not a Zeta phi beta woman at heart. I read the book In Search of sisterhood over the summer and my eyes were opened and heart is wanting to be a member of DST. Out of a pure moment of craziness I wrote a very detailed letter to the women of DST expressing my interest in their organization and explained why I am no longer interested in ZPhiB and with shaking hands pressed send! I was never rejected by the Zetas, this is my first semester eligible to be a member of any sorority. I also expressed in the letter that I have ruin all my chances to be a member of anything but DST by sending that letter. I am wondering what do you think my chances are of being considered to be a member of DST? Even if I'm not considered I will not be pledging anything at, I just want to know your thoughts on this.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Quick Note: To make the "We" more specific, I'd say that the NPHC GLOs don't discuss membership on this forum (and that I agree the question very much related to the NPHC GLOs.) However a similar question for non-NPHC groups would be more likely to get a response.
When I say we...I mean my sorority in which she stated she's interested. If she wasn't so specific I wouldn't have said we.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When I say we...I mean my sorority in which she stated she's interested. If she wasn't so specific I wouldn't have said we.
OK, Just thought some clarity might help down the line, because we have people reading these threads with considerably less information. And I completely agree in the response in regards to NPHC. If I had seen the message before you did, I also would have advised talking to a local Delta chapter. However, I'm glad that you were the one to respond given your more intimate knowledge.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
OK, Just thought some clarity might help down the line, because we have people reading these threads with considerably less information. And I completely agree in the response in regards to NPHC. If I had seen the message before you did, I also would have advised talking to a local Delta chapter. However, I'm glad that you were the one to respond given your more intimate knowledge.
No biggie. I just wanted to make sure I address her, because she posted the same statement in a few other threads as well, and I don't want her sitting here thinking an answer will come this way. LOL!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No biggie. I just wanted to make sure I address her, because she posted the same statement in a few other threads as well, and I don't want her sitting here thinking an answer will come this way. LOL!
Could have been worse, *I* could have had the same reaction when I read "In Search of Sisterhood" (I'm male)
Old 02-12-2014, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Frustrated

My daughter was initiated in mid November. In that time she was home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Her time as an initiated member was very limited. 3 weeks ago she called me very distraught that her sorority may get kicked off campus and now they have been. My daughter was a model initiate. She was very involved and she is now distraught. Why would a young woman who had so little time with her sorority not be given a chance with another sorority?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch612 View Post
My daughter was initiated in mid November. In that time she was home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Her time as an initiated member was very limited. 3 weeks ago she called me very distraught that her sorority may get kicked off campus and now they have been. My daughter was a model initiate. She was very involved and she is now distraught. Why would a young woman who had so little time with her sorority not be given a chance with another sorority?
The majority of sorority membership is spent as an alumna. I'm sorry that your daughter is not going to get the collegiate experience she wanted.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is very disappointing.

However, she should be granted alumna status and will be able to continue to participate in the sorority as an alumna.

It's tough to not have the full college experience (formals and recruitment and all that), but it's not the end of the world. She can still be friends with her sisters and even room with them if she chooses. They can plan informal "sisterhood" events and outings to maintain connections and friendships. She can still wear letters and her badge. She can participate in ritual, when an active chapter or alumna chapter is holding ritual. She can still do philanthropy work with an alumna chapter. She can socialize with the alumna chapter.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Although your daughter's situation is unfortunate, as others have said, the idea of sorority membership is not just 4 years but a lifetime. Unfortunately rules are rules and depending on the sorority your daughter was in its highly unlikely that she would be allowed to join another sorority.

So, my best advice is to give an ear to listen to her vent her frustration. But this is just one situation that you can't immediately fix. Kicking a group off campus is not a decision made in haste by those involved.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
The majority of sorority membership is spent as an alumna. I'm sorry that your daughter is not going to get the collegiate experience she wanted.
There is little to no consolidation in that. It seems very unfair. Initiation should have been postponed. This decision to revoke charter did not happen overnight. The young ladies that got caught up in the web should have the opportunity to pursue their dreams. Without the collegiate experience you have a weak bond, if you have a bond at all. I am talking about girls that have been members for a few weeks at best. 5 of those weeks they were not even on campus. Common sense should prevail.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, this thread isn't about joining a second NPC. It's about whether you can join, say, a service sorority/fraternity and an NPC (yes) or an NPHC sorority and an NPC (no). You might want to start a new thread because few people will see this.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is little to no consolidation in that. It seems very unfair. Initiation should have been postponed. This decision to revoke charter did not happen overnight. The young ladies that got caught up in the web should have the opportunity to pursue their dreams. Without the collegiate experience you have a weak bond, if you have a bond at all. I am talking about girls that have been members for a few weeks at best. 5 of those weeks they were not even on campus. Common sense should prevail.
Ok we get that you're upset, but many alumnae members that are still active sorority members long after graduation will completely disagree with your point about without the collegiate experience you have a weak bond, if you have a bond at all. Unless you've done a survey of every alumnae member you shouldn't be generalizing. I can tell you that many of the ladies I know probably have stronger bonds with their alumnae chapter sisters, then they had with their own collegiate chapter sisters.

Unfortunately life isn't fair. I hope you won't be calling human resources if your daughter doesn't get the job that she was "dreaming about".
Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Ok we get that you're upset, but many alumnae members that are still active sorority members long after graduation will completely disagree with your point about without the collegiate experience you have a weak bond, if you have a bond at all. Unless you've done a survey of every alumnae member you shouldn't be generalizing. I can tell you that many of the ladies I know probably have stronger bonds with their alumnae chapter sisters, then they had with their own collegiate chapter sisters.

Unfortunately life isn't fair. I hope you won't be calling human resources if your daughter doesn't get the job that she was "dreaming about".
I will have to agree to disagree about the collegiate experience being a necessary component of a strong sorority bond, and your comment about obtaining a job was unnecessary and condescending.

Just because "life isn't fair" it does not mean we don't right the wrongs that we can. That is a beautiful part about being a strong woman with an open and compassionate heart.

On another note. I am sorry if I confused threads.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
I will have to agree to disagree about the collegiate experience being a necessary component of a strong sorority bond, and your comment about obtaining a job was unnecessary and condescending.

Just because "life isn't fair" it does not mean we don't right the wrongs that we can. That is a beautiful part about being a strong woman with an open and compassionate heart.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but just because your daughter is disappointed doesn't mean that the rules of the NPC should be changed. It's unfortunate what happened, but all she can do now is make the best of it.

To imply that her bonds and sisterhood will not mean as much because of this situation is a little presumptuous on your part. Let your daughter vent and cry, and then let her pave her own way. Regardless of the situation, sorority membership is what you make of it. Your daughter is not alone in feeling this way, and if she and her sisters desire to stay friends, socialize, give back to the community, and have a great college experience, then they will.

This is one hurdle in the obstacle course of life. There's no fixing it completely, but your daughter can still find a way to make it better.

@~/~~~~
Closed Thread