GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,230
1 members and 2,229 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 06-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

love the visuals and can't wait to hear more!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

All the wrong clothes?!?! You're from California, so I'd automatically assume that it was me who had the wrong clothes.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

HELP!

I'm so glad you all like the visuals.

I have most of them ready but there are a few things I wanted to scan. Problem is, my scanner is freaking out. It's out of warranty so the only thing I can do is try HP online chat tech support. That presents another problem. The chat shows up in a pop-up window. I have a pop-up blocker that I can't turn off and it's driving me crazy. I've turned off the blocker I know about but apparently I have another one. Does anyone here have a pop-up blocker that makes a strange noise and shows a little boxing glove icon when it blocks something? If so, what is it and how do I get rid of it?

Help, please!

Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I don't know about the pop up blocker, but is your scanner included in your printer??

If so, I know it's a pain, but one time I had to uninstall my printer and then reinstall it like 3 times and the fiasco with it ceased.

Also, try unplugging it, leaving it sit for 30 seconds or so and then plugging it back in.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Leslie...

you know my solution...use firefox!

right click to see what the program is and delete it?

I wish I was there to help you!

I can't wait to hear this story

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

LOVE the Vargas girls! Keep them up, if possible.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to AlwaysSAI and Ms_Gwyn for your helpful advice. It worked! The blocker is still there, but the scanner is working. Gwyn, I should have called you as soon as I had problems. (She installed Fire Fox on my computer a few weeks ago…you should have seen her fingers fly! I was like, “what are you doing?” She’s amazing.)

AlwaysSAI, I’d say you bear a very tiny resemblance to Bettie Page. You’re not into leopard-skin bikinis or bondage…….er, nevermind. None of my business.

Well, Jess, my clothes were definitely all wrong and I’m sure yours were perfect. I liked “preppy”; I just didn’t know how to pull it off. My favorite outfit in high school was white hospital pants with the cuffs twisted and folded up, a torn white t-shirt with silver paint splattered on it, white bobby socks and keds, and a huge white bow in my hair. Passable in L.A. – completely out of place in Maryland.

I’ll be back real soon.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-28-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
AlwaysSAI, I’d say you bear a very tiny resemblance to Bettie Page. You’re not into leopard-skin bikinis or bondage…….er, nevermind. None of my business.
Tiny is right. I went home and stared at myself in the mirror, trying to figure out where that woman got that. My stepdad is way into Betty Paige, so I know all about her. Although, I usually wear a solid colored one piece swimsuit and bondage just isn't my thing right now....or probably ever.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Freshman Orientation

"The Row" in the background -- 14 fraternities and sororities in a horseshoe shape around the field.

I was in a fairly small group being taken on a tour of the campus. I befriended a very cute guy and a sweet, soft-spoken girl who looked like she was probably born wearing a Laura Ashley dress. I can’t think of a clever name for her so she’ll just be “Laura Ashley Laurel.”

At the end of our tour we were told about sorority and fraternity Rush. (Yes, that’s Rush, not Recruitment.) The three of us headed over to the Student Union to sign up.

Have any of you ever noticed those flyers on campuses that read, “Rush Resumes” with phone numbers you can tear off the bottom? Well, we passed one on the way to the Student Union and the cute guy nervously asked, “Do we need a resume to go through Rush?” To which I replied, “Oh my gosh! I hope not.” Laurel was clearly brainier than we were and told us it had nothing to do with Rush; the flyers were referring to resumes prepared quickly. Phew! Obviously I had no clue about sororities. I think that summer had been the first time I had even heard of them. (Good thing Maryland didn’t require recs or I would have been in big trouble.)

So I signed up and got my Rush Booklet:

After leaving the Student Union, I decided to take a walk around where I thought the sororities were located. I saw girls moving into houses with Greek letters on them and although I couldn’t read the Greek letters yet, I knew I had found them. I was in awe. My kinda-boyfriend had been talking about “Bicker” and the eating clubs over the summer. I had completely romanticized the sororities at Maryland as if they had come right out of an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. It all seemed so magical. I thought about how amazing it would be to actually be a member of one of those groups.

One good thing about my perception was that I didn’t expect to get a bid to a sorority. I thought of it as a slim possibility that would be a great honor. The tough part would be talking to all those women. I was excruciatingly shy. The senior quote chosen for me in my high school yearbook had been, “………..” since I rarely spoke 2 words to anyone but my closest friends. I was trying to change my life and be more outgoing though, so I was going to give Rush a try.

I got back to the motel and learned from my mother that the university had found me temporary housing. I would be sharing a lounge in La Plata, which was one of the high-rise dorms out in the middle of nowhere, with 7 other girls until a more permanent spot could be found.

La Plata is way on the right beyond the football stadium. On the left is "the graham cracker" (7 sororities). The rest of the fraternities and sororities are around the graham cracker and on "the Row."

My mom helped me move in and we said a tearful good-bye. She was booked on the next flight back to L.A.

The lounge wasn’t too horrible. They put 4 bunk-beds in the room with dressers and desks. Everyone on the hall hated us though. They wanted their lounge back. I could understand that, but it’s not like we chose to be there. I quickly called my friend, “Suzanne” to let her know where I was and found out that she was going through Rush too. Yay! She was a sophomore so I think she already had an idea about which sororities she was interested in, but she didn’t tell me anything about them. I was glad. It didn’t matter to me what they were like. I didn't want to know about stereotypes. I’d feel lucky to get into any one of them! I asked the other girls in the lounge if they were going through Rush. They all looked at me like I had two heads. Oh, well.

I studied the Rush booklet (the "vitals" on each sorority) and made flashcards so I could learn the Greek alphabet. Psi and Upsilon had me confused but, fortunately, none of the sororities had those letters.

The first two days of Rush would be spent visiting all 18 chapters. Then we would get invitations. (The rushees didn’t do rankings.) From there would be Set of 10, then Set of 4, then Preference with 2 sororities.

I’ll start my first day of Rush in my next post later today.

Meanwhile, I’ve got a question for you. Should I mess with Jess or not? As a fellow Terrapin, I just HAD to guess which houses were which when she told her Retro story. As it stands, it’ll be pretty easy for her to figure out which ones mine are based solely on geography. Should I scramble them around to make it tougher for her or not? <evil grin>

Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Yours might be the first retro thread to get an offer from a publisher!

I love it.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Yours might be the first retro thread to get an offer from a publisher!

I love it.
Me too!

I'm already proud to call her my sister! Yay KD!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww, you're both so sweet. Thank you! And there I thought I would be getting my first, "Hey Leslie! Get to the point already."

Old 06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

I love your graphics! As I said, Vargas was always a favorite of mine, and you have a wonderful style.

That said, mess with Jess' head! I completely messed with the "correct order" in my thread, because I knew Pitt people would know in a flash if I didn't!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm up for the challenge. Go ahead, mess with me.

I lived in LaPlata my second semester and it didn't seem that out there to me, but I guess that is because my classes were in chem and I had lived in Denton the semester before. Were your dance classes all in Preinkert since this is before CSPAC existed?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush begins!

Since I've gotten the okay from Jess, I mixed up the houses a bit. If I say we "went across the street" or we "went over to the row" that might not be true. It would be so obvious otherwise. Jess, I hope you know I only mean it in good fun.

Rush begins!

For the first day of Rush we were to meet our groups and Rush Counselors at The Row. I arrived and there were SO many girls there! I searched the crowd for my group and finally found a girl holding up a big “24” sign. That was my group! We all were quickly given our nametags and before I knew it, we were off to the first sorority. We hadn’t had a Rush Orientation or anything. (at least not that I can recall)

My heart was pounding as we approached the first house. I had no idea what this was going to be like.

My group finally lined up in front of the first sorority house. The doors flew open and all these girls came running out all dressed alike. They were screaming and yelling and clapping! I looked down the street and saw that the same thing was happening at each of the sororities. It was crazy loud! I wasn’t expecting this at all. (I had thought we would just enter and be quietly interviewed. What did I know?) After the singing and chanting, we were led into the house and paired with one of the sisters. The girl I was with was very bubbly and energetic. She was kind of bouncing up and down and had this huge smile on her face. She started asking me questions but, Oh My God, I didn’t know what to say to her! I felt like a deer caught in headlights. I was struck completely mute. I remember this so vividly. It was as if all the sound had gone away and I was looking at this girl in slow-motion as her smile began to fade, her brow furrowed and her eyes started to pop out. I could see her thinking, “Why are you not speaking!? SAY SOMETHING!” It was absolutely horrifying. I finally snapped out of it and began to mumble, “um, uh…” Then full sentences started to form and I was able to answer some of her questions, if only briefly. The rest of this party is a complete blur to me (thankfully). There was so much shouting and questions being thrown at me. I felt like I had been attacked. I’m going to call this house Football. The girls were very outgoing and energetic, but Yikes!

Before I knew it, we were at the next house and I was completely overwhelmed again although this time I was able to keep myself calmer. The girl I was paired with seemed pretty nice but before I even finished answering her last question she kind of tossed me to another girl. I wondered where she went and why she gave me to someone else. Did I do or say something wrong? I was so scared I was trembling. I was seriously reconsidering this whole Rush thing but the party was over and we were heading out the door before I knew it. This house will be called Racecar Driving -- fast and dangerous.

Before we got to the next house I was ready to quit. I just couldn’t do it; it was too hard! I was so terribly shy and I didn’t know what to say to these women. We had arrived at the next house and I was mentally debating whether or not to sprint in the opposite direction.

The yelling and the clapping started again. I thought to myself, “Dear Lord! What am I doing? Help me!” The rushees were being brought into the house. I had about 2 seconds left to decide what to do. I took a deep breath to try to settle my nerves and stepped up to join my rusher.

I was paired with a really sweet girl named Jane. She was soft-spoken and had a gentle quality about her. I immediately felt relieved and much more relaxed. We sat and had a nice, normal talk. I told her that I had just moved to Maryland from California and she actually seemed interested and sympathetic about how hard the transition would be. I really liked this girl. She was easy to talk to and as I glanced around the room it seemed like the rest of the sisters were similar to her. It was still loud in there, but it wasn’t overwhelming. I liked it there. I’ll call it Diving; a quiet, graceful sport.

When we left I felt so much better. I had gotten over the initial shock of the process and started to get the idea of how Rush worked. I had to focus on keeping myself calm, asking questions and trying not to be so shy. At least I knew that the sororities had different “personalities” and they wouldn’t all be so intimidating.

As the girls stormed out of the next sorority I could tell that they were really pretty and really put-together. I was paired with a very nice girl who was absolutely gorgeous. We sat in the living room and had the usual conversation for a while and then she brought me into the foyer and introduced me to the chapter president. I thought this was a good sign and I tried my best to be talkative. I was doing alright but suddenly I just started panicking again and I couldn’t wait to get out of the house. These girls were so nice but they all looked like models. I wanted to feel comfortable with them but I couldn’t. I’ll call this house Croquet. I liked it, I was interested in it, but I simply didn’t know how to play the game.

At the next house I was paired with a girl named Lisa. She was really nice and I got a sense that this was a very friendly group of girls. This chapter reminded me of Diving except they were much more energetic without being obnoxious. I liked their easy-going, fun attitude. I’ll call this one Skiing.

I got a good feeling about the next sorority before I even got inside. These girls were super friendly and bubbly but not nearly as aggressive as the girls in Football. I was paired with a girl named Jennifer who seemed very down-to-earth. She had a bit of a Southern accent which I found “cute” (silly California girl that I am). We sat in the living room and at one point she asked me about something that I’m not used to talking about (personal thing that I won’t go into here – nothing bad). I was honest with her and she was just very nice about it. (This particular issue was brought up at a number of chapters. I note it here because of my rusher’s nice response to it.) She introduced me to another sister who was very “peppy”. I liked both of these girls. The house in general just seemed like a lot of fun. I’ll call it Water Skiing. I left there feeling pretty good.

This next house didn’t feel right for me at all. This was actually one of only two sororities that I had ever heard of. My best friend from home, Iris, has an older sister who was a member of this sorority at UCLA. I didn’t know much about it but I couldn’t really imagine her in this chapter. They were full of energy and enthusiasm though. I’ll call them Aerobics.

Next, we crossed the street and entered a different looking house. (Most of the sororities at Maryland have similar architecture – a few look a bit different.) This time I was paired with a sister and another girl from my Rush group. We took turns talking and the sister seemed really sweet. They sang a song before we left and I suddenly got the sense that these girls were depressed. I didn’t know why they would be sad but the feeling was very strong. I could tell that this was a smaller group than the others I’d been to, but I liked the girl I talked to and I, initially, liked the atmosphere. I looked over to my rusher and noticed that while she seemed happy while we were talking, she now looked just as depressed as the other girls. It broke my heart. I’ll call this group Fishing; quiet, understated, and a bit melancholy.

We crossed back over to the other side of the street again and entered a house that I immediately liked. I was matched with a girl named Robin who was very tiny and spunky. I felt at ease with her right away. Once again, I talked about how I had just arrived in Maryland from California. I made some really dorky remark but she laughed instead of looking at me like I was an idiot. I was grateful. She introduced me to another girl who at first I thought I was going to be intimidated by but she was just as friendly as Robin. The three of us started deliberately making dorky remarks. This was the first time I actually laughed during Rush. I felt so at home there but the party was soon over and I was sad to leave. I’m calling this chapter Soccer. I played soccer as a kid and I was horrible at it but my teammates never made me feel bad – they just laughed when I once almost scored a goal for the opposite team.

It was the end of the day and, overall, I still wanted to quit. There’s one thing about me, though; when I focus on something I just won’t let it go. I’m extremely stubborn. I thought about it and decided that I was going to stick with Rush even if it killed me.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-28-2007 at 08:48 PM.