GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,547
2 members and 1,545 guests
indygphib
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NutBrnHair
There used to be a man who sent surveys out to all of the sororities on all campuses & asked the presidents to rank the other groups on their campus (excluding their own). Anyone remember this or know what I'm talking about? I think it ended about 20 years ago.
yeah, its Wilson Heller...there have been a few threads on this board about his work.

I would post a link but I think im getting the flu and I'm hardly in the mood to be helpful...even though im at work!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-17-2003, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how girls rate themselves but here is how I do it, from a fraternity man's perspecitve:

Top Tier=girls that understand each other, girls that understand greek life in general and want to get to know us rather than judge by what they've heard in rumors. Girls who you would introduce to your pledge brothers, then your mom.

Middle Tier=Girls that are cool, have some hot ones, but mostly just get on your nerves. Girls that know some of your friends but will never be right for you as an individual and also don't help the fraternity. Girls that you tell your friends about, but you won't be that devistated when its over.

Bottom Tier=Girls that ruin everything. Tend to be the sorority whose sisters if start dating then the whole chapter knows about your fraternity and the girls think that based on one or two couples, both chapters should be closer. Girls no one likes to talk about the next day.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
Yes, there is. And when we're talking about "tiers," however you measure them -- popularity, resources, size, prestige, visibility, stability, attractiveness -- the locals blow the nationals out of the water, especially when it comes to guys' groups.

FWIW, I'm a member of the "who gives a F*&$ about tiers" school of thought, but I stand by the point I was originally trying to make, which is that national powerhouse groups like Sigma Chi and KKG are NOT at the top of the totem pole on anything close to every campus in the East.
There was an article in The Nation years ago about rush and they talked to some of the KKGs at Yale. They said that they were in shock when they visited their sisters in Cali because it was so opposite of what their experience was - that the national sororities at Yale were like an antidote to the school's selective societies. In effect the nationals were made up of the girls who lacked the connections to get into the school societies.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In effect the nationals were made up of the girls who lacked the connections to get into the school societies.
That's exactly right. Many locals on elite East Coast campuses have a closed rush (or punch, or tap, depending on the campus). There's no way to sign up for rush or register your interest; if they want you at a rush event, they will invite you, and if not, you're SOL. The nationals end up being more inclusive.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

That could be said for any chapter though. Here we don't have "locals" we only have groups that were dropped by thier respective orginizations or who gave up on becoming on campus groups. But the ones that are here and doing good usually aren't the big ones nationally. Its kind of weird here, but there is no feeling that "we are on this teir." Greek life is too small for that here for fraternities. IFC had a total of 38 guys who actully signed up for rush. We have 9 fraternities and about 3,000 eligible men. Next semester hopefully everyone will do better. It sucks when the rivalires for pledge class size are the two fraternities they are, complete oppositites if you did the tier system. They both got 8 pledges, don't know about retention/initation rates. But other strage rivalires like that, the other "big" one is where they both have 3 or 4 pledges, which I guess is impressive but seriously quanitity isn't everything. Especially with average pledge class at like 4 or 5.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Wilson Heller

Go here: http://web.library.uiuc.edu/ahx/slc/heller.html
Closed Thread