GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,280
2 members and 2,278 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Pledged Fraterntiy then transfered next semester

I pledged a fraternity in the Spring of 09, however, had to transfer due to a major change the very next semester. The fraternity I joined does not have a chapter at my new university and I was wondering whether or not it would be possible for me to join a different fraternity. I now attend UNC which has a pretty solid greek community. I still respect all the members of my fraternity (which is at NC State) and they understand the position I am in but I dont know if a new fraternity would be as understanding. I did not join in the Fall of 2009 because I was still unsure of whether I could join and if I even wanted to. I would appericiate any insight or opinions. Thanks.

P.s. I contacted HQ for my current fraternity in interest of starting one at UNC, however, they said it was on the 5 year plan and they did not have the man power create one at my location right now. (At earliest they would have a colony my senior year)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Swerving into other lane. Anyone feel free to cut me off if necessary.

From what I understand, if you joined an NIC fraternity, you are able to join another one. But there are multiple steps to go through (assuming that you were initiated). First and foremost, you would have to disaffiliate from your current Greek organization. Only then would another GLO even consider you for membership.

However, there are some NIC fraternities that don't allow a person to join after having already initiated into another group.

And to be honest, even if another (inter)national organization did allow a previously initiated potential member to join, it doesn't mean that individual chapters will be accepting of that. For some chapters of some fraternities on some campuses, they wouldn't consider someone who had even accepted a bid from another fraternity, let alone someone who had already been initiated.

If you joined an NIC fraternity at your first school, and were looking to pledge a local now, it would be up to the local as to what they'd want you to do.

There are a ton of different ways this could go. Not knowing your exact situation makes it difficult to answer the question precisely.

Basically, if you're truly considering this, do your research! Because if you want to be involved in a fraternity, you don't want to disaffiliate only to find out that you can't be a part of Greek life at all.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 11-04-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM

To the OP: You stated that you pledged at your original fraternity, but did you initiate? If you didn't initiate, you are open to join another group.

ASTalumna06 is close to one idea: If you resign your membership (not disaffiliate), and get your GLO headquarters to release you from your membership, you can possibly join another group. However, many groups will not accept a member who was an initiated member of another GLO.

I'm going to be honest with you and this is my own personal feeling: Whenever I hear the "I initiated at State, then transfered and University doesn't have my group, I want to join another group", I automatically think, "You just want to wear letters." Do you not have any good feelings towards the fraternity that you initiated? Even without being an active member, you are still a member and an alumni for the rest of your life. Yes, it sucks to not be able to go to the weekly party or to hang out at the house, but you took an oath of loyalty to your fraternity. Did you truly mean it or was it just words?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 11-04-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: For some reason I couldn't spell initiated this morning.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC12 View Post
I pledged a fraternity in the Spring of 09, however, had to transfer due to a major change the very next semester. The fraternity I joined does not have a chapter at my new university and I was wondering whether or not it would be possible for me to join a different fraternity.
You say you "pledged" and "joined." Just to be clear, were you actually initiated? Into an NIC fraternity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Swerving into other lane. Anyone feel free to cut me off if necessary.

From what I understand, if you joined an NIC fraternity, you are able to join another one. But there are multiple steps to go through (assuming that you were initiated). First and foremost, you would have to disaffiliate from your current Greek organization. Only then would another GLO even consider you for membership.
I'm swerving too, but oh well.

Per NIC bylaws, a second fraternity cannot initiate you "until such time as the second fraternity shall have been formally notified in writing by the national office of the first fraternity that a candidate for membership in the second fraternity is no longer regarded as a member of the [first] fraternity." (Article XIII, Section 1.a.(3).)

Based on what has been said here in the past, even with this procedure, there are (inter)national organizations and chapters that will not consider initiating a man who has already been initiated into another fraternity.

ETA: Lane and I cross-posted. I echo his last paragraph.

Last edited by MysticCat; 11-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
P.s. I contacted HQ for my current fraternity in interest of starting one at UNC, however, they said it was on the 5 year plan and they did not have the man power create one at my location right now. (At earliest they would have a colony my senior year)
I think the others have adequately answered your main question, but I have something to say about this last part of your post. (And ASTalumna and MysticCat - you two are always welcome in my lane!)

I have a brother who became a founding father of my chapter. After a year he had to transfer and also contacted our HQ inquiring about colonization opportunities and was given pretty much the same answer you received. Last week, I sent an affiliation card for him to HQ (this is a verification that he left our Chapter in good standing) so he could be an active member of the new colony at his current university as a second semester senior. The brother who called me from HQ to request the card told me that this man's efforts to promote Delta Chi on his new campus is the one of the major reasons we decided to colonize and they are sure that he ensured the success of the colony by positively promoting the Fraternity. Wouldn't you like to be that man?

Last edited by Gusteau; 11-04-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I think the others have adequately answered your main question, but I have something to say about this last part of your post. (And ASTalumna and MysticCat - you two are always welcome in my lane!)

I have a brother who became a founding father of my chapter. After a year he had to transfer and also contacted out HQ inquiring about colonization opportunities and was given pretty much the same answer you received. Last week, I sent an affiliation card for him to HQ (this is a verification that he left our Chapter in good standing) so he could be an active member of the new colony at his current university as a second semester senior. The brother who called me from HQ to request the card told me that this man's efforts to promote Delta Chi on his new campus is the one of the major reasons we decided to colonize and they are sure that he ensured the success of the colony by positively promoting the Fraternity. Wouldn't you like to be that man?
Yeah My chapter started by a Psi U alum from another chapter going to my school and expressing interest in starting a chapter.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

LaneSig- " I automatically think, "You just want to wear letters."

Yes, this is exactly how I don't want them to feel because its not true but I'm not sure there is any possible way to show them that it isn't. (I would probably feel the same way if I were in their shoes). So are you pretty much saying that I should just forget about it and move on from the Greek system. Its just hard for me to do because I've always wanted to be involved in a fraternity especially during undergraduate years since before college which I wont have the opportunity to do if I don't join another fraternity. Don't get me wrong I want to be involved after I graduate to which is making my situation even more difficult. But at the same time I feel like I'm "double dipping" if I join a new fraternity, which may hurt my reputation.

Also currently at UNC Chapel Hill we have about 8 or 9 unestablished fraternities already so it's not really an ideal atmosphere for a new fraternity. On top of all that most perspective students that actually want to join a fraternity, want to join a "Legit" fraternity that has a prestigious past reputation instead of looking for a fraternity that fits them best.

Pledge details: I completed pledging, went through ritual but I believe that I am either registered with HQ as an early alumni or I was dropped.

Gusteau - I definitely want to be like that man you speak of in your post but realistically speaking at my current university it isn't possible before my graduation but I could help as an alumnus though which would be helpful to my current fraternity.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yes, this is exactly how I don't want them to feel because its not true but I'm not sure there is any possible way to show them that it isn't. (I would probably feel the same way if I were in their shoes). So are you pretty much saying that I should just forget about it and move on from the Greek system. Its just hard for me to do because I've always wanted to be involved in a fraternity especially during undergraduate years since before college which I wont have the opportunity to do if I don't join another fraternity. Don't get me wrong I want to be involved after I graduate to which is making my situation even more difficult. But at the same time I feel like I'm "double dipping" if I join a new fraternity, which may hurt my reputation.
dude just because you went early alumnus doesn't mean you can't still be involved with the undergrads of your other chapter. Membership is for life. If you are willing to stay involved after you graduate, why can't you be involved now? I've had brothers transfers schools but stay involved.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

UNC12, I really do sympathize with your situation, but realistically joining another group is extremely difficult, and may not even be possible depending on the organizational policies of the groups on your current campus. (For example, some organizations will refuse to let you resign your membership, other organizations will not initiate you even if you have been able to do so.)

You need to contact your chapter of initiation to verify your membership status, as long as you left in good standing you are probably considered an alumnus by your HQ (DISCLAIMER: I don't know what your fraternity's policies on the issue are, which is why you need to check!). Start looking at ways to make an meaningful impact as an alumnus, because, in all likelihood, it is probably the best chance you have.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
dude just because you went early alumnus doesn't mean you can't still be involved with the undergrads of your other chapter. Membership is for life. If you are willing to stay involved after you graduate, why can't you be involved now? I've had brothers transfers schools but stay involved.
And it's not like UNC and NC State are that far apart -- 30 minutes or so.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a local alumni chapter you could join as well? It probably won't be as active as a collegiate chapter, but it would still keep you active.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this is still done but can you socially affiliate with a GLO that you really like. Back in the day it was possible if there was not a chapter of your fraternity at the school you attended. You pay dues and attend stuff but can't vote etc. Just a thought. Also I agree that State and Carolina are very close in proximity so in reality you should be able to keep in close touch. Provided you left in good standing.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM

^^^I think this has been curtailed a lot due to risk management issues. That would be a great solution, IF it's still around.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude, NC State is a measly twenty-four miles from UNC Chapel Hill. You could easily stay involved as an alumni, and maybe even manage to get your weekly party in if that's what you're so concerned about. You made a lifelong commitment, and I think that you need to just stick with it.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbRush2009 View Post
Dude, NC State is a measly twenty-four miles from UNC Chapel Hill. You could easily stay involved as an alumni, and maybe even manage to get your weekly party in if that's what you're so concerned about. You made a lifelong commitment, and I think that you need to just stick with it.
It actually takes me more time to get to my office in downtown Raleigh (2miles) than it does for me to commute to UNC for business meetings...