GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 302,972
Threads: 114,349
Welcome to our newest member, dhgjg@yopmail.c
» Online Users: 311
2 members and 309 guests
dhgjg@yopmail.c, isgrissowinf

Old 02-20-2018, 07:32 PM
Administrator

All fixed up again. Things might be a little slow for a while, though, as I backup and download various files from the server.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

John, thank you for doing all this work! I must admit that I don't know what all a forum entails.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
John, thank you for doing all this work! I must admit that I don't know what all a forum entails.
It's not so much a forum issue as it is a server hardware issue. More specifically, database corruption issues being caused by sporadic power cycling / reboots of the server.

I'm not yet sure what's causing that to happen. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be something on the datacenter's side of things, such as a faulty power distribution unit or similar. Otherwise, if it's the server then it could be the server's power supply unit causing reboots when it hits certain limits or maybe capacitors on the motherboard starting to go bad and causing reboots in specific circumstances. Might even be a failed/failing RAM module.

At this point my plan of action is to determine if it's on the server side, or datacenter, then proceed from there.

If it's definitely the server going haywire I'll most likely look into renting a server elsewhere and move things there for a while, rather than building a new server for GC. I'll likely build a new server for GC again at some point, but now is not the time for that.

GC's current server has been in 24/7 operation since late 2013, so we're getting close to 5 years on this hardware.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Many Thanks John!