GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,354
1 members and 1,353 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I guess I'm showing my age, LOL. I can't remember dropping more than about $1000 in any given semester.

My chapter also did not have a house, which means I didn't have to pay parlor fees and the like.
One of the reasons that UT's sorority fees are so high is because Austin has become a VERY popular place to live and work, and property taxes have skyrocketed in the past two decades as a result. It is very expensive for UT sororities and fraternities to maintain their houses.

My sorority left campus in the late '80s, and there's always talk at alum meetings about how great it would be to be back at UT. And then we start talking about how difficult it will be for any house to come back--many old houses (including our gorgeous chapter house from the late 1950s) have been razed to build condos and high-rise apartments, and the cost of the land alone would be prohibitive for many groups. Anyway, that's part of the reason that UT Greek life can be more costly than at other campuses.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahE View Post
My parents got zero financial aid on my OOS tuition so I guess that means they can afford the dues and extras haha. I owe them!
SarahE, have you had a talk with your parents about the cost of sorority membership? It might not be something else they can handle on top of your other expenses.... sorry, I worry. $4000 is a big chunk of cash
Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
SarahE, have you had a talk with your parents about the cost of sorority membership? It might not be something else they can handle on top of your other expenses.... sorry, I worry. $4000 is a big chunk of cash
Oh yes ma'am. I would not have been able to rush if they had not agreed to pay, because I sure don't have 4000 dollars plus! I don't understand how anyone would go through not knowing how much it's gonna cost.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahE View Post
Oh yes ma'am. I would not have been able to rush if they had not agreed to pay, because I sure don't have 4000 dollars plus! I don't understand how anyone would go through not knowing how much it's gonna cost.
WHEW!! Glad to hear that! Unfortunately, I have seen it happen several times. It is really sad to have a good member forced to drop out, but sororities have big expenses that have to be paid.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through rush at UT almost 30 years ago, and everything said on this thread was true then and is true now — with the exception of meteoric rise of APhi out of the ashes. Many of the "top tier" sororities recruit almost exclusively from the wealthiest areas of Texas (almost all of those girls live in SRD and Hardin House) and have their fave PNMs picked out long before rush even begins. They come from the same areas, attended the same summer camps, etc. Don't even get me started on the number of legacies. Brace yourself — you'll be one among thousands. Look and feel your best and KEEP AN OPEN MIND and you should be just fine!
Old 08-03-2017, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Sparkleberry, as a UT Alpha Phi, I couldn't be more proud of my chapter and am so tickled at your noting how we "rose out of the ashes." I went through rush in the early 90s when the rules in place did not foster equality among the chapters. I think, especially with the new RFM policies in place, there is truly not a weak chapter at UT Austin. That being said, if I were your mother, dear SarahE (and I have a sophomore daughter who is an ADPi at another school in Texas), I would advise you to wait a year. I know that Greek life is very, very fun and rewarding, but preparing for rush takes time. You are in for about a month of high level stress. I guess if you know that going in and have made your peace with it, that's okay. But I really don't think you'd have a disadvantage going through recruitment as a sophomore. And you'd have a year to get to know sorority women and to be known by them--that can only help you as an OOS student. Best wishes whatever you decide to do!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

How did APhi do it, honestly? What is an RFM policy? I don't think I ever even saw an APhi, no less met one. I would love to know how things have changed.

One would have had to attended UT back in the day to truly understand how hard it is to "break rank." It hasn't changed in 50 years.

Those APhi girls are GORGEOUS! This is great news that they're are no more weak chapters — it was very tiered back in the day.

One more thing to keep in mind is that the university itself is nearly impossible to get into these days (only the top 7% of in-state students are auto-admitted), so not only are these girls beautiful, they're brilliant too.

Love this!
Old 08-04-2017, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I was at UT in the late 70's and early 80's and if you were not a:
PiPhi
Kappa
Theta
Tri Delt
Chi O
Zeta
You were second tier and it was very sad, cause at that time the quota was always "50" not matter how many women went through recruitment!
I was not in one of those groups but many high school friends were and it was all Dallas, Houston private schools etc.
I understand that its' pretty much equaled out except for maybe PiPhi and Kappa! That is such great news and so wonderful for every chapter to be great!
Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The fact that the original poster came from out of state and was able to list that order tells me that things really haven't changed that much — there's just much more acceptance of all groups.

I just googled the APhi recruitment video and it was super-impressive. Makes me so happy!
Old 08-04-2017, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think APhi has done well by getting many OOS girls and making good use of COB. I think COB can be frowned upon at UT but APhi has gotten great girls this way. Super hard to get in to UT OOS and they are more likely to be looking for a group to connect, not as worried about tiers.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

On the topic of Texas Alpha Phi-

https://vimeo.com/173668557

https://vimeo.com/187546185
Old 08-04-2017, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleBerry View Post
How did APhi do it, honestly? What is an RFM policy?
RFM is NPC's Release Figures Methodology which is now in place on all campuses(well,maybe not one or two). I won't bore you with the details of how it works but in a few words it requires groups to adhere to a set release number that varies from chapter to chapter depending on past performance. So in essence, the groups who have the best return percentages are required to invite fewer women to their events. Quota additions no longer exist as they used to and women who do not match once all have been placed are placed typically with the smallest chapter they listed on their bid card.

This is a very simplistic explanation but it has resulted in chapters being much closer in size and therefore the entire system healthier.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

As an alumna of Alpha Phi myself who has a special connection to our Omega chapter, even though I initiated at another school in Texas many years ago. It has been great watching our sisters at UT Austin thrive.

Thanks sharing for the Texas Alpha Phi videos Longhorn Mom. I enjoyed watching both of them.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

With all due respect, many UT chapters may have "equaled out" somewhat, but the tiers are still firmly in place and likely always will be. As far as Alpha Phi moving up, they have always taken OOS girls, so that's a non factor. Anyone's who's familiar with their Texas chapter knows they primarily cut based on looks and then target the Houston Memorial/Highland Park/private school types that don't go Big 6 for whatever reason. Glad that it's worked for them but it's not a well rounded approach, in my humble opinion.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

With all due respect, Tinkerbell, I think that unless you are an active member of a chapter, you don't actually know what their selection process is--and if you are an active member, you really should not be commenting on your chapter's internal selection process. Even as a midwesterner I know that UT-Austin is known for having great sororities and I think that we should keep this thread's focus on the OP and her recruitment. OP, good luck whatever you decide.
Closed Thread