GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 915
2 members and 913 guests
indygphib

Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

Maybe I missed a post, but a 20-year-old junior doesn't have a lot in common with a 25-year-old junior. That was my take on the lack of invitations.
Mine too.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I got derailed by the granny sweater issue. Now I see that there are names for "trendy" clothing items that are missing parts. Oh my.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried googling keyhole top/dress, and I got the same impression -- tear drop style holes in the front or back. So I still don't know what the missing shoulder fabric trend is called.

Anyway, there's a big difference between 24/25 and 19 -- and it almost sounds like the OP led the conversations and did dress/treat this as a job interview, going by the list of topics she mentioned. I have a hunch she quite obviously came across as older and more serious than a typical 19-year-old rusher.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM

At 25, I was about to graduate from graduate school and my maturity/goals were different than my almost junior self going through recruitment in 2004 at 19.

Recruitment would probably have turned out much different for me had I rushed at 25 because my focus was on careers.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:37 PM

If she would have been at a less traditional, commuter heavy campus she would have probably been fine, but it sounds like this was the opposite of that.

OP, look into some of the professional GLOs that also have a social component. That might be a better fit.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Those are called cold shoulder tops or alternately "those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" tops.

Quote:
If she would have been at a less traditional, commuter heavy campus she would have probably been fine, but it sounds like this was the opposite of that.

OP, look into some of the professional GLOs that also have a social component. That might be a better fit.
All of this.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-20-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
If this was a formal rush with NPC sororities, no girl got two bids. It doesn't work that way.
I think DubaiSis has it right - she got two invites to the first invite-only round, not two bids.

Quote:
Those are called cold shoulder tops or alternately "those who cannot remember the 90s are doomed to repeat it" tops.
ROTFLMAO! I hated the cold-shoulder tops in the 90s and I hate that they've made a comeback. Honestly, they look like the shoulder seams ripped, on both sides, indicating that the clothing was poorly made.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a high enough GPA thank you very much. Also I'm sorry didn't realize posting on a causal forum would categorize as a place to use correct English/grammar without people judging me through a computer screen. As for the sweater I think it's cute, you don't have to agree with me if you prefer ugly florals that look like your mother's table cloth. For the rest of you who were genuine and wondering what the sweater looked like, it was like this (link below) but in sweater form and in royal blue without the shoulder cutouts. Lastly, I did think that it would be slightly weird being older than a lot of the girls who were going though it. It's just a shame bc it seems like if you missed your opportunity to do it as a freshman/maybe a younger transfer than there's not really a place for you. Which doesn't matter that much I guess, I am really almost done.

https://goo.gl/images/EZhHRm
Old 09-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123girl View Post
I have a high enough GPA thank you very much. Also I'm sorry didn't realize posting on a causal forum would categorize as a place to use correct English/grammar without people judging me through a computer screen. As for the sweater I think it's cute, you don't have to agree with me if you prefer ugly florals that look like your mother's table cloth. For the rest of you who were genuine and wondering what the sweater looked like, it was like this (link below) but in sweater form and in royal blue without the shoulder cutouts. Lastly, I did think that it would be slightly weird being older than a lot of the girls who were going though it. It's just a shame bc it seems like if you missed your opportunity to do it as a freshman/maybe a younger transfer than there's not really a place for you. Which doesn't matter that much I guess, I am really almost done.
It's "casual".
Old 09-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Someone suggested that you explore the possibility of an organization related to your major. I would suggest looking into joining a service org. that interests you.

I am sorry that our answers regarding age disappointed you, but age is most likely a factor. It may not seem fair to you, but it is what it is.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh my.

I was sincere, and I (a) tried to avoid the whole issue of the age gap (we've gone down that road many many times before) (b) got derailed by the clothing discussion (c) am doing my utmost to follow in FSUZeta's footsteps. Although I do not believe I will ever achieve her degree of kindness. There's that, people. Let's be real.

Thanks to the OP for the photo of the dress. Very pretty.

Since I do tend to swerve a lot: not a trendy dresser (except for leggings which I would NEVER wear as pants!). I stick to the Katharine Hepburn style of clothing as much as possible (think tailored and crisp. I like expensive high quality clothing that lasts forever. Don't have a lot of it, but some of the pieces I own I've had since I was in my 30s, and they are still in good shape. Won't tell you how much I paid. I justify the expense by saying "it cost X number of dollars a year for this piece"). It works for me. And simplifies decision making. I like minimalism, too.

So I did learn something here. And I'm staying out of any more threads like this.

Until the next one.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2017, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
I would've told them that I was 19. If they pushed back I would have said that I identified as a 19 year old.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 09-23-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Score!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
I would've told them that I was 19. If they pushed back I would have said that I identified as a 19 year old.
LOL! GC needs a "like" button!
Old 09-23-2017, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow-is it really necessary to correct her spelling?