GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,322
2 members and 1,320 guests
acg233, Sarak24034

Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Local Sorority

I have a question, it probably is a dumb one but hey I will attempt anyway. I goto a private college that has no greek life what so ever, but a college up the road does is there any possible way i could join theirs and attend my private college? The reason i goto the private is because the education is much better then the one up the road... Thanks for your time,

Chelsey L. Cary
Old 03-24-2006, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Local Sorority

Quote:
Originally posted by ChelseyLCary
The reason i goto the private is because the education is much better then the one up the road.
I think you're wasting your money then, because the difference is certainly not coming through in the intelligence level of your post.

ETA: I'm sorry...I shouldn't be so mean to a new person. It just slips, I can't help it. Plus, I'd be surprised if she got a serious answer anyway.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have a question, it probably is a dumb one but hey I will attempt anyway. I goto a private college that has no greek life what so ever, but a college up the road does is there any possible way i could join theirs and attend my private college? The reason i goto the private is because the education is much better then the one up the road... Thanks for your time,

Chelsey L. Cary
If the school has NPC sororities, most likely not. If they are locals, maybe. I guess your going to have to contact the greek life office at that school or the rush chairs for each sorority and ask.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I've only heard of one case where someone joined Greek Life at a different school. It was in a fraternity, and I won't profess to know much about the sorority system in regards to these matters. I would approach the Greek Life office, or members of the Greek community, at the other school. They would be your best source of information.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Local Sorority

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
I think you're wasting your money then, because the difference is certainly not coming through in the intelligence level of your post.

ETA: I'm sorry...I shouldn't be so mean to a new person. It just slips, I can't help it. Plus, I'd be surprised if she got a serious answer anyway.

hmm thanks for that I guess?! P.S. I am a film major....

Last edited by ChelseyLCary; 03-24-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Local Sorority

Quote:
hmm thanks for that I guess?!
Ok, I really am sorry. Your post was all serious - "signed" and everything, but it really was horrible in grammar and content.

PS...all college grads have to pass English 101 and 201.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

If they are National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) sororities, then no. You must attend their school to be considered for membership. Check out www.npcwomen.org to learn more about NPC.

If they have local sororities*, contact the locals and ask them. If this isn't a possibility, ask for their assistance in organizaing a chapter of their local at your school.

Also, talk to your student life director to ask him/her about the possibility of Greek Life at your school.

Know that colonizing or starting a sorority, while fulfilling and a wonderful way to develop leadership and team skills (as well as make lifetime friends), is a lot of work and a very big time committment.

* A local sorority is a sorority that exists only at that university; it is not a member of a larger governing conference of sororities and does not have multiple chapters.

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-24-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Alright I get where you’re coming from however, being that we don’t have college English at my college it might be difficult. Next time ill grammar and spell check before I post.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Alright I get where you’re coming from however, being that we don’t have college English at my college it might be difficult. Next time ill grammar and spell check before I post.
What school do you go to? It's not CCS is it?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

No, I attend Full Sail it is in Florida, Close to UCF.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nice! Full Sail is a great school! Why don't you start your own local at Full Sail so that others can join in too? The focus could be related to the majors offered at Full Sail, since the school is so specific!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

That makes me stoked that you know about F.S. I will try but there aren’t that many girls there so I was trying to thin out side the box... thanks though

Chelsey L. Cary
Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Chelsey L. Cary
In the case of a national org, your school will have to also be registered with that chapter. In the case of NPC, I think Alpha Gamma Delta's Alpha Eta chapter (consisting of metro area schools in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada) is the only sorority that has something like this.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ok-- That being the case-- neither UCF nor Rollins College has local sororities. They are all NPC's or nationally affiliated in other conferences. This means you would not be able to join one of them. NPC will not bring sororities to Full Sail, as it is not a traditional 4-year college.

FYI to others: Full Sail is an extremely intensive TV/Film prod program that allows its students to graduate with a BA in much more compressed time-- students have really packed and demanding schedules. It isn't unusual to be in tne editing studio at 3 AM. Students are very busy, and I've known quite a few who have burned out because of the demands. It isn't easy and yes the program is quite competitive, although UCF boasts the best film and animation programs among the state's public schools.

Chelsey, if you're looking for a sense of community involvement and "sisterhood" your best bet is to get involved with a community group like the Junior League of Orlando. To satisfy your fraternity party atmosphere, pop by UCF Greek Row on a Friday/Saturday night to attend a fraternity party with your girlfriends. (Guys have to be on a guest list). Drag your classmates to some UCF games and homecoming-- you can take advantage of the college's community activities.

Yes... You could also form a coed local Greek org/student organization at Full Sail and plan some social activities, but honestly, I know about your courseload-- keep your focus on your studies and work on getting some internships.

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-24-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
Nice! Full Sail is a great school! Why don't you start your own local at Full Sail so that others can join in too? The focus could be related to the majors offered at Full Sail, since the school is so specific!
YOu beat me to it!!

I second that, if were using those rules on here now. Being the first sorority ever or greek letered org. period on campus is awesome, good luck!

Please know that we will be wanting updates of what you decide.

p.s.
Also, goog luck with the Film major.