GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,006
0 members and 1,006 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2000, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Post the color of hazing

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I have to ask this. Who determines what is and is not acceptable hazing. I was coming from class this morning and one of the PHC sororities was having their pledges run around in front of the student center in ridiculous outfits singing songs. To some this may seem insignificant. But when a NPHC organization had their probate in front of the very same student center two semesters ago there was an uproar about hazing. Who decides what is and is not hazing?
Old 09-29-2000, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Were the new members forced by the initiated members to run around and sing songs OR were they doing this as a prank? If it was the former, that is hazing.

The NPC works with each of its' member fraternities to define hazing. Each NPC group also has strict guidelines on what is permitted and what is considered hazing. Basically, the NPC perspective is that:

Hazing is defined as any action taken or situation created intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarassment, harassment or ridicule. Such activities and situations include creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; wearing, publicly, apparel which is conspicious and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and jokes; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; late night sessions which interfere with scholastic activities; and any other activities which are non consistent with the regulations and policies of the educational institution…

If the group you are asking about is a member of the NPC, then in effect, they did violate an NPC regulation. If the group in question is only a member of a local Panhellenic and is not governed by a regional or national organization, it would be up to the university to determine a course of action.

Barbara
Old 09-29-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The group is an NPC organization. I did not ask if they were forced into the sharade I witnessed on my way to class. But thanks for the input, 'cause I was a little confused.
Old 09-30-2000, 07:38 PM
ice cold

Nobody is forced to pledge it is always a choice. Stay and become whatever leave and be a quitter. No one is forced to pledge
Old 10-01-2000, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm there with you Ice Cold.

[This message has been edited by Kymberleigh (edited October 01, 2000).]