GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 997
1 members and 996 guests
LaneSig

Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool An Around the World Fall 08 Recruitment!

I am a poster on GreekChat, but I created a new username for certain reasons

To experience my recruitment last fall, we are going to travel around the world to some of the most glamorous cities!

Rome
Los Angeles
Barcelona
Paris
Miami
Tokyo
New York
London

I am a BIG legacy to Barcelona, but I didn't really know anything about recruitment.

I was so excited the first day! I could not wait to find out what house I would be in and get to know sisters that I could have life long friendships with.
We would visit 4 houses today, and 4 houses the next day for the open house.

The first house was Rome. They had such a beautiful house. I was incredibly nervous as we waited along their walkway. Suddenly they started singing and finally opened the door. I got picked up by a sister and she led us to a living room where she knelt on the floor below me. We talked about what I did last summer and such. I didn't really have an impression about them yet, I was still too overwhelmed about the whole process

Next was Los Angeles. When they opened the doors the sisters were lined up the staircase. They were all perfectly matching and were singing us a song. I instantly hoped that I would like this house. I talked to one of the sister the entire time. She was not the greatest rusher where our conversation had many awkward pauses, where neither the rusher or I could think of a question to ask. I went through all of my back up questions but we still had a lot of time left. I was not as impressed with the house, but I realized that this was only one of the sisters. Maybe I would connect with the other actives better?

Then we were off to Barcelona. I was so excited! And nervous! and thought that I was going to pass out cause I wanted to like them so much! Basically I was all over the place. I got called by a sister who lived near my hometown and had given me a tour of the house a year earlier with my mom. She didn't remember me, but we had a lovely conversation. I got bumped to another sister, who I didn't have as much of a great conversation with, but she was still great. We talked about the fun movie nights they had in the house. I enjoyed how comfortable I felt there. I loved this house!

We had dinner at a Starbucks. I talked with a few of the girls in my rush group. One was a major legacy to Paris,she was extremely nice, but was very tom-boyish as well. Paris seemed to have a reputation for having absolutely stunning ladies so I did not know how that would go. My mom instructed me to not say a word about which house I was a legacy to any of the PNM's, Rho Gammas, or anyone at school. So I didn't and it was always an awkward topic.

Next was Tokyo. The outside architecture of the house was not my favorite at all. It slightly scared me actually. I actually hoped that I would not like them, so that I could cross them and their scary house off my list. However, I went inside and talked with a wonderful sister. I was bumped to a girl who was in my Self-Defense class! She was telling me how excited she was for me to be going through recruitment and we had a great conversation. I really liked Tokyo.

Recruitment was so fun! I could not wait for the next day!

ETA: Couldn't read Barcelona's color & the description of Los Angeles wasn't well written
ETA: Took out personal information

Last edited by Strawberrygloss; 07-20-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay, another recruitment story! I love your code names, go Miami!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Im rooting for barcelona! There would be something special about sharing ritual with your mom and other family members.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Miami!!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The next day (and the rest of the recruitment) was pouring outside. My straightened hair had become in between straight and wavy. Basically gross. When I would look in a mirror I suddenly lost all confidence in my appearance. Plus I had already realized how my style of clothing was not the most fashionable. All the PNM'S purses and umbrellas were either Coach or Burberry. Their jeans were either Sevens, Citizens, Hudson's or the occasional Joe's. I had just gotten my first pair of sevens but did not want to wear them because I wanted to save them for later in recruitment. I felt so out of place.

We firstly we went to London. I was called by a gorgeous sister. We had the most natural and fun conversation. We just started to talk about random things that I hadn't talked about with the other sororities. I left with such a great feeling.

Nextly we went across the street to New York. I had a lovely conversation with a bigger sister. Everything was great. I thoroughly enjoyed this house, however I didn't actually take it like I could live there. Something just didn't click like it had at London, Barcelona, or Tokyo.

We then had to travel about 5 blocks with our Rho Gammas really pushing our pace through the horrid rain to the other sororities.

Miami is the newest sorority on campus and had a really interesting house. It was not as glamorous and classy as the others. I was in a group of 2 rushers and 3 PNM's. We stood in one of the rooms, and almost fought for attention. All the girls besides me were dancers, so I felt extremely left out. I really attempting to talk to the actives but it was just so difficult fighting for that attention! By the time we left my legs hurts so much and I didn't get time for them to find out who I was.

Lastly was Paris. Their house was absolutely stunning and they definitely had the some of the most gorgeous girls on campus. I was rushed by a gorgeous blonde and we had a great conversation. I was bumped to another stunning sister and I felt extremely natural talking to her. We had a very fun conversation. I left with such a great impression of the house. I wanted to be one of those girls.

For a quick recap before I rank them,
Rome- first house and didn't get a bad or super great vibe from them.
Los Angeles- very awkward conversation
Barcelona- the house I'm a legacy too. I loved the sisters!
Tokyo- Scary house, but lovely ladies.

We did not need to rank the houses, only put down the two we wanted to drop. But I still ranked them.
Paris
Barcelona
London
Tokyo
New York
Rome
And I dropped:
Los Angeles
Miami

Last edited by Strawberrygloss; 07-20-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Took out personal information
Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I'm feeling good about Tokyo for some reason...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Not that I feel especially great about the chances of Paris... But I have to go with Paris!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I love Paris, but something is drawing me to Barcelona!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated! I am the WORST person in the world. Finals and moving out just hit me for a whirlwind!

Now that it's summer, and my job doesn't start for another week, I'll update consistently

Here is what I put down:
Paris
Barcelona
London
Tokyo
New York
Rome
And I dropped:
Los Angeles
Miami

The next day I went through classes slightly anxious/excited/nervous/thrilled. I got all dolled up again. I got my schedule from my Rho Gamma and I got:

Rome
Los Angeles
Barcelona
Tokyo
London
New York

Despite having a record number of women going through recruitment, and everyone freaking out about cuts, I got a full schedule!

I was shocked that Los Angeles was still on my schedule, but felt sick that Paris wasn't. I REALLY wanted to be like those girls.

Today was philanthropy day where we were doing crafts. And as a VERY crafty girl, I took this seriously

First was Rome where we colored these pages for a book. I was very into it while talking. I felt much more comfortable talking while I had something to do with my hands. However, I did not get an impression of the house at all. As I left the house I felt that I had been focusing a little too much on the coloring and not enough talking. Or just that this house was simply impression-less.

Next I went to Los Angeles. Once again the girls matched perfectly, and I WANTED to like them. There were two sisters to two PNMS filling jars with mix to make cookies. It was fun, however I just didn't connect with the girls like I wanted to. And the other PNM was really connecting to the sisters. I was happy that she was, but thought that I really needed to drop this house. There was no way I could connect to any of them.

Onto Barcelona. I was so thrilled to be back. I got double rushed here. A sister took me and another PNM through a room that showed all the events they did, and I saw how athletic and competitive they were. Between the spirit and personalities of the sisters and how comfortable I felt at the house, I felt like home here. I actually don't remember what craft we did, however, I had to fight for attention with the other PNM and I was REALLY fighting. I could imagine myself here. I LOVED this house.

After a quick dinner break, it was onto Tokyo. I don't remember the craft we did, but I saw the woman from my self-defense class which was really nice. They showed me their philanthropy and I could tell it was very close to their hearts. That was very touching, but at the same time I was slightly uncomfortable, because I didn't get that same feeling about the philanthropy. I still did like the house though.

I was very excited to go to London. I talked to a sister who I didn't really connect with. She didn't seem thrilled or very upbeat. I was trying to talk to her, but she just ignored me. We made potpourri. It was sad, but I still remember the greatest conversation that I had the day before with another sister.

Then it was New York's turn. We stuffed bears, and I talked to a bigger sister. I liked the girls, I just couldn't imagine the house being a home to me.

On the way back to the meeting place, there was some definite tent talk going on about New York. The girls said how they're the "fat girls" and how they were so desperate and never met quota. This really crushed me. I honestly did like the girls. They weren't my favorite, but they did not deserve the talk.

I ranked them:

Barcelona
Tokyo
London
New York
And I dropped:
Rome
Los Angeles

As I walked out of the room, I was very unsure of my decision. New York wasn't bad, but they did seem like the fat sorority, and shallow and athletic as I am, I couldn't stand being apart of that. Rome just left me with out anything, but I didn't feel like I had honestly given them a shot.

A couple of men in a fraternity walked myself and some other PNM's to our Residence Halls. They asked us which ones we liked and I listed mine off which they loved each one until I said New York. As soon as I said that, they paused, and replied "uhhhhh."

When I got back, I called my mom, and told her my decisions. She was very unhappy with me for dropping such a strong national sorority (Rome). But she also gave me the "what ever makes you happy" talk as well. I was so torn about recruitment. It was taking a very strong toll on me.

Last edited by Strawberrygloss; 07-20-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: color error, expanded on Los Angeles and Barcelona. Took out personal information
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Strawberrygloss - you are forgiven. Thanks for returning to your story. Keep posting and enjoy your short break. I like your honesty.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

After ranking the houses:
Barcelona
Tokyo
London
New York
And I dropped:
Rome
Los Angeles

I got my new schedule from my Rho Gamma which read:
Tokyo
New York
Los Angeles
Barcelona

I was so excited that I still had a full schedule! But WHY was Los Angeles still on there?! A lot of PNM's were complaining that Los Angeles & New York were still on their schedule. Already, I had decided that those were the ones I was going to drop that night. I was so annoyed. There was no connection with those houses.
I was slightly heart broken that London wasn't on there. I knew I did not have the best conversation with that sister, but I guess she just really didn't like me.

Oh well. It was tour day! Where I would be living for two years was important to me.

First off to Tokyo. I was still not used to the outside of their house. It reminded me of a haunted house, but kept nicer of course. When we went upstairs though I found it actually very charming! It had a really nice layout and I liked the rooms. The sister showing me around was obsessed with the candy, but I politely declined because the candy would hurt my stomach since I didn't have too much to eat that morning. The sister tried talking to me about shows like the Hills and Gossip Girl and such but I don't watch them so it was difficult to find a topic to talk about. I was then bumped to another sister who told me that she had heard so much about me and that she was so excited to meet me. I asked her something strange like who told her, or how she heard about me, and she dodged the question. I am such an idiot. She also grabbed my shoulders and told me to calm down. lol. I guess I was just slightly nervous :/. I left the house liking them still, just I really needed to stop being a really dumb PNM.

Next was New York. Ugh. The active who was touring me around was nice, but once again I didn't feel a connection. I could tell the entire chapter was very proud of the history of the house which was impressive, I just was not very impressed with it. The upstairs was weird and very narrow. The house was not laid out very well. The sister showed me the president's room. I really liked it and actually pictured myself here. But only there. In that one room. Next, we went inside a room that was completely covered in wood, and looked like the inside of a ship. I get motion sickness rather easily and actually felt really nauseous while we were in there. She showed me the sleeping porch which was frightening. The cots were rusting!I really, really did not like that house.

Onto Los Angeles. I was double-rushed here. The other girl I was with just really looked like the rest of the sorority (blondehair, heavier, round face). And she seemed really interested. The house was laid out spectacularly and their bathrooms were really nice. The sister told stories of them all getting ready for events together and how fun it was. I really enjoyed the stories she shared of their sisterhood. Their house looked very new, and was laid out perfectly for a sorority. However, I just did not feel like I truly fit in there. The other PNM definitely was. And the rusher definitely talked to her more.

Lastly, the one I had been saving up all of my energy for was Barcelona. By now I was freaking out. My heart was beating fast and I didn't know how to act. I just REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to be apart of this sorority! I was called last, which frightened me (did I not actually get this house on my list? Was there a mistake?). And by the time I had gotten inside, my hair was between straight and wavy. Basically just not cute at all. The sister took me around and I was so nervous that I was was snooty. Snooty-ness? Where did that come from? I have no idea. I told her how much this house was so cute and great. She showed me her pin and her Bid card. I told her how my mom still has hers and blah blah blah. After the tour ended, we went into a small room and talked. It turned out we were both into running! She started talking about how they do this race for their philanthropy and how all the girls trained together. I thought this was just amazing! But I laughed and said that I couldn't probably run that much. We did have the awkward conversation about the fact that I don't watch Gossip Girl or the Hills or anything. Oh well.
I was so nervous about this house when I left, but I had a pretty good feeling.

When we got back to the meeting room I quickly wrote down:
Barcelona
Tokyo
And dropped:
New York
Los Angeles

That was an easy decision!

Last edited by Strawberrygloss; 07-20-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Took out personal information
Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

aww, as much as i was rooting for NY, you really trieknew they werent for you.

im split on your top two. ill lean towards Tokyo because i'd LOVE to go there someday.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm getting really good vibes from Tokyo, but I'll guess we'll have to wait and see! Please update soon!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

help

I am hoping you can offer some help. I have a baby sitter who is going to Georgia Southern University. When she took her visit, the school gave them no information about any sorority. She will be visiting the school again before the start of classes and I would like to know if any sorority might take the time to show her around campus?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanedgreek34 View Post
I am hoping you can offer some help. I have a baby sitter who is going to Georgia Southern University. When she took her visit, the school gave them no information about any sorority. She will be visiting the school again before the start of classes and I would like to know if any sorority might take the time to show her around campus?
It doesn't really work that way. She (your babysitter) really needs to do the research about greek life and contact the appropriate people for information about recruitment herself.