GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,755
2 members and 2,753 guests
redkingpin

Old 11-24-1999, 10:14 PM
CHfrat

Question How do I start a high school fraternity

A bunch of my friends and I want to create a fraternity at our high school. I was wondering if you could give me some information on how to start one. What will I have to do to get one established? How should I obtain a charter for a frat? What other steps are involved in organizing a fraternity. I uld greatly appreciate it if you could answer the questions and send me your reply to Kthota@hotmail.com

Thanks
Old 11-27-1999, 01:55 PM
TauCUTIE9

Cool

Sorry Chfrat, you cannot start a fraternity when you are in high school. In order to start a fraternity you must be attending a college or university. That are NPC and IFC requirements, the only thing you can do in hish school is just have a club for your friends...without the greek lettering. Sorry and good luck to you when you do reach college!!
P.S. I know this because I happen to be a sorority sister and President of The Panhellenic Council at my university.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauCUTIE9
Sorry Chfrat, you cannot start a fraternity when you are in high school. In order to start a fraternity you must be attending a college or university. That are NPC and IFC requirements, the only thing you can do in hish school is just have a club for your friends...without the greek lettering. Sorry and good luck to you when you do reach college!!
P.S. I know this because I happen to be a sorority sister and President of The Panhellenic Council at my university.

Wow.... so I guess the only real fraternities are those that are a part of NPC and IFC? That's incredibly closed minded of you.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:59 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaPyrite
Wow.... so I guess the only real fraternities are those that are a part of NPC and IFC? That's incredibly closed minded of you.
Being that the post you quoted is almost 7 years old, and almost 7 years ago this place was running rampant with trolls like TauCutie9, I wouldn't put much weight in that post. Not really worth getting panties bunched.

Just something to consider.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Omega Phi Xi High School Band Fraternity Inc.

My wonderful fraternity Omega Phi Xi Inc. is a wonderful band fraternity. We step we get hype the gurls luv us greek letter shirts, hoodies, hats,and Spray Painted Marching boots. We are not secrective of our frat the Principal knows about us we do community service for our city and School. Are high school is like a college campus feel and we plan to spray paint the trees bricks with our lettering in the ground our sheild on the wall and we got approved to do it. We are becoming a honorary band frat for DSA Marching Band. We go through pledgeing process rituals the fire from getting the smoke brought to u but after u cross it is worth being Omega Phi Xi Inc. trust me its alot of baseball swingers on the frat we are not little brothers of any national black fraternity and we are Legally Incorporated by the Michigan Government. We are great musicians and we do community service for our city we live up to the meaning of being Omega Phi Xi high school band frat. We are trying to go national in all urban high school marching bands because we are known through out the detroit high school bands and they are interested in becoming a chapters of Omega Phi Xi high school band fraternity Inc. we are all about brotherhood sticking together and male student body always ask how can I be a pledge and we say get in the band and get sweet on a instrument. and We have sistas as well and a social group called the Q Phi Sweeties dance team members,poms,flags,cheerleaders,and bad chicks that just go to the perspective high school.

Iron Man #1 Aces Wild
Triple Threat Line "Hell Night Was Worth it"
Alpha Chapter

WFX Inc.

R.I.T.B.I.F

Last edited by Q Phi Xi Ace; 01-15-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Phi Xi Ace View Post
My wonderful fraternity Omega Phi Xi Inc. is a wonderful band fraternity. We step we get hype the gurls luv us greek letter shirts, hoodies, hats,and Spray Painted Marching boots. We are not secrective of our frat the Principal knows about us we do community service for our city and School. Are high school is like a college campus feel and we plan to spray paint the trees bricks with our lettering in the ground our sheild on the wall and we got approved to do it. We are becoming a honorary band frat for DSA Marching Band. We go through pledgeing process rituals the fire from getting the smoke brought to u but after u cross it is worth being Omega Phi Xi Inc. trust me its alot of baseball swingers on the frat we are not little brothers of any national black fraternity and we are Legally Incorporated by the Michigan Government. We are great musicians and we do community service for our city we live up to the meaning of being Omega Phi Xi high school band frat. We are trying to go national in all urban high school marching bands because we are known through out the detroit high school bands and they are interested in becoming a chapters of Omega Phi Xi high school band fraternity Inc. we are all about brotherhood sticking together and male student body always ask how can I be a pledge and we say get in the band and get sweet on a instrument. and We have sistas as well and a social group called the Q Phi Sweeties dance team members,poms,flags,cheerleaders,and bad chicks that just go to the perspective high school.

You refer to your "Band frat" as "Inc." - are you actually incorporated, or did you just think it sounds cool?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Iron Man #1 Aces Wild
Alpha Chapter

WFX Inc.

R.I.T.B.I.F
Please know you are NOT in a fraternity sweetie! I see your fire but after you graduate... that's it, your principal probably isnt even going to want you on campus anymore, you'll be trespassing!
Please dont get it twisted, we did all the same thing in high school, hell night and all, we were on hands & knees at a homecoming game, but compared to college, its a cake walk. You will have groupies in college just like you did in high school, they just call them aux groups now! You just need make sure your grades are up to par and stay focused... keep in 100 lil man!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Iron Man #1 Aces Wild
Alpha Chapter

WFX Inc.

R.I.T.B.I.F
I agree with a lot of the constructive comments all the collegiate Greeks have posted about your high school group. It's obvious that you all believe in what you are doing; just remember to keep it in the right perspective...
"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922
Old 11-29-1999, 11:01 AM
Artimis

I vaguly remeber stumbling across some fraternal organizations at high school level. I can only suggest to spend a few hours doing a bit of web research.

I would suggest - as with establishing a new organization - you will need to gain permission from the school administration and find a faculty advisor before proceeding. In order to do this you will need a purpose for the groups existance (ie what need is this organization going to serve that current ones don't). Many organizations, non-fraternal, exist that may serve your needs.

If your purpose is for fellowship or service, I would sugguest looking into a service organizations such as habitat for humanity or 4H-club. Both organizations are structured not only to give community but to have memebers grow in fellowship thru service.
If your purpose is more social, organizations such as the boys club, might be something you might consider looking into at a high school level.

If your looking for an organization for just your friends, you will probalby find it difficult to establish.

Good Luck

Artimis

[This message has been edited by Artimis (edited November 29, 1999).]
Old 11-29-1999, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you will find that most school administrators and faculty will frown on the idea of starting a fraternity or sorority in a high school. Do not expect to receive a warm reception to the idea.
Old 11-29-1999, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I've run across references to high school fraternities before. Most of what I gathered was that they were subrosa groups (secret and not condoned by the school) as well as pretty violent (in their hazing and initiations), almost gang-like.

I think it's best to hold off on the fraternity stuff until you get to college.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Hold on!!! Wat a minute!! There ARE fraternities at the high school level. There are two at my Alma mater of Southern High School in Durham, N.C. For the boys there's Theta Phi Psi anf for girls there's Theta Phi Delta. They follow similar guidelines as collegiate ones and wear letters, have a pledge period, perform step shows, the whole nine yards. So, to answer your question, YES THEY DO EXIST!
Old 03-20-2001, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

actually, High school fraternity's and sororities do exsist, and a lot of sororities(I am not sure whether fraternities do it) sponsor high school students as a lower level part of their organization. But there is quite a few high school fraternities.
To the orginal poster, do a lot of research, and figure out what exactly, you want your group to stand for , and other such information. If you need help with research drop me a line.

One and Always Delta Gamma Pi MC Sorority
Old 03-20-2001, 12:51 AM
Unregistered-

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DGPhoney:
actually, High school fraternity's and sororities do exsist, and a lot of sororities(I am not sure whether fraternities do it) sponsor high school students as a lower level part of their organization.
DGPhoney, are you implying that sororities (at the collegiate level) sponsor high school girls and allow them to have status in their organization?

Please clarify!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Maybe I'll make it simple, some sororities at the college level, do sponsor high school students, as a "Lower Level " of their organization, not giving them collegiate status, but as almost a whole another group by it's self, but it is more high school related , as in helping them through school, and stuff like that, I don't know if th NPC side does that , but NPHC does have some groups affiliated with high school groups, when I was in high school a friend of mine was a rhoer, which was sponsored by a local sigma gamma rho chapter.
Thats what I meant by sponsor high school students being sponsored by a "collegiate sorority"

"Delta Gamma Pi Sorority, only the best"