GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,608
0 members and 2,608 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 AM
GreekChat Member

random question

If you go to a UC, you are allowed to take a quarter or 2 (up to a year) at a different UC. you become considered as a full-time (or part-time) UC whatever student and then are allowed to come back to your former UC school after that period. Are you allowed to pledge greek during that time?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
HUH?

Most, if not all, NPC groups require you to be a full-time student. If you pledge a group, but will not be on campus during the new member period, it is my opinion that you should wait until you are back on campus full-time.

If you are asking if you can pledge at another campus, then transfer back to your original campus, I guess the answer is yes but there is no guarantee that you will be able to affiliate with your chapter on that campus (if there even is a chapter).

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 AM

I've only ever heard of people going on the UCDC program for a quarter, not to any other UC. Why would you or anyone else want to join a sorority or fraternity for less than a year and then transfer back to your own school. If you want to go greek, do so at your "home" school.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are enrolled full time at the university where you are rushing, then yes, you may go through recruitment and accept a bid. You must be a full time student at the time at the university where you will be Greek, and your Greek membership isn't automatically transferrable to another UC.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

clear it up

hey guys, thanks for the response, Im actually not recruiting. But my sis goes to UCBerkelly and will be transfering to UCR for 2 quarters (personal ...). but since all her high school friends have gone away for college and most people in riverside that are her age already have their set groups at school, i suggesed panhellenic.... im not sure ifthat is allowed.... esp sine she is still considered a visitor at that school.

Last edited by indiemusic86; 09-07-2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

If she is enrolled full time at Riverside or UCSB, she can rush there and pledge a sorority. Check with the Office of Greek Life at the school to confirm this.

But if she plans to go back to Berkeley, she runs the risk that there may not be a chapter of her sorority at Berkeley OR that her membership won't transfer to the Berkeley chapter of the sorority.

As a visiting student she'll only be away from her university for 16 weeks. It would be a little silly to pledge a sorority and then move away. There are plenty of other activities to get involved with. If she will be attending the same school as you during these visiting quarters, bring her around with your friends and help her get adjusted.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:32 AM

She should go through recruitment at Berkeley if she honestly believes she'll be returning there.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM

I think Berkeley recruits twice a year too, if that helps her any.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

hmmm

does UCR or UCSB do spring?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

oh, and I found a way to contact UCSB's greek council, but UCR's is kinda hard... any help.... I just want to give her some options so it'll be an easy transition. I'll leave it up to her to figure out what is best for her.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:42 PM

I think they all (Cal, UCSD, UCR) do Fall Formal Recruitment. Chapters may have COB/COR in the Winter and Spring.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiemusic86 View Post
oh, and I found a way to contact UCSB's greek council, but UCR's is kinda hard... any help.... I just want to give her some options so it'll be an easy transition. I'll leave it up to her to figure out what is best for her.
Well, if she's interested, let her do the legwork. It is very nice of you to find options for her, but it is really up to her to find her niche on campus and do the work to find campus clubs and organizations. There will likely be a transfer student orientation and they can answer these questions and put her in the right direction.

If you can't outright find an Office of Greek Life, try the Office of Student Activities.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

For those who are not aware, The University of California (UC) allows students to study at other UC campuses for up to a year. This is similar to "studying abroad/overseas" in that the student does not transfer to that particular campus - just visiting.

So depending on the programs - both what you are taking on your "home" University of California campus and what you take as a visiting UC student - you could end up as a visiting student for a year. And I have heard that in a few quite rare occasions, longer than that.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
For those who are not aware, The University of California (UC) allows students to study at other UC campuses for up to a year. This is similar to "studying abroad/overseas" in that the student does not transfer to that particular campus - just visiting.

So depending on the programs - both what you are taking on your "home" University of California campus and what you take as a visiting UC student - you could end up as a visiting student for a year. And I have heard that in a few quite rare occasions, longer than that.
Is this realtively new? I stand by that I've only heard of anything similar in terms of UCDC. I knew so many people in school that would have jumped at the chance to switch schools for a couple quarters. Hell, I would have braved heading north to UCSC if I knew about this because my GPA definitely could have used the assistance.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Is this realtively new? I stand by that I've only heard of anything similar in terms of UCDC. I knew so many people in school that would have jumped at the chance to switch schools for a couple quarters. Hell, I would have braved heading north to UCSC if I knew about this because my GPA definitely could have used the assistance.
I don't know the specifics on how it works. I didn't attend the UC system but I do have friends who did. (Lots of UC alumni in the Bay Area - go figure) In any case, my understanding from the friends who did, is that they had to apply through their "home" (for lack of a better term) campus to take classes not available (either not offered at all, or maybe not that semester) on their campus. And while it didn't have to be in their program or major, it had to some how apply toward their degree.

For example, one friend - a business major - went to UCLA to take some literature courses that were not available at Berkeley. I'm not sure if they were available per say, but one big reason was that she wanted to go to UCLA was to study under a specific professor who was teaching the courses down in Los Angeles. Since these courses weren't available (in the since of being taught by said professor) to her at Berkeley, she was approved. I believe she had to be a full time student so she also took other "general" course work while at UCLA. However, all applied toward her degree.

Basically, she worked with her advisor in Berkeley to take the courses in Los Angeles. The advisor had to make sure that she was able to take the courses in Los Angeles as well. Also, she was eligible to stay in the dorms and was there for a full year cause she wanted to - and did - take the companion courses as well.