GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,550
2 members and 1,548 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=tld221;2173254]You want a 21-22 year old to grow up in a 3 month summer after commencement? QUOTE]

Yes. That is exactly what you are supposed to do. Otherwise, you're the creepy old guy at the fraternity house leering at the freshmen girls during parties. By your logic, it's totally cool for a high school graduate to keep coming around to his high school clubs after he graduates. Once you graduate, you are not a member of the chapter anymore, you are not paying dues there anymore, and you have no reason to be attending (much less speaking) at a collegiate chapter meeting.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
You want a 21-22 year old to grow up in a 3 month summer after commencement?
Yes. That is exactly what you are supposed to do. Otherwise, you're the creepy old guy at the fraternity house leering at the freshmen girls during parties. By your logic, it's totally cool for a high school graduate to keep coming around to his high school clubs after he graduates. Once you graduate, you are not a member of the chapter anymore, you are not paying dues there anymore, and you have no reason to be attending (much less speaking) at a collegiate chapter meeting.
I don't understand how 21-22 makes you creepy. maybe in your example above, but if youre a recent alum, you probably have friends who are still in the chapter. are you supposed to just stop coming around?

i get the business side - alumni shouldnt be at official business or (maybe?) rituals. heck, even rush events are iffy (that's a numbers thing - your chapter of 15 girls could use one more body, but a chapter of 50, nah). but the occasional picnic or similar get together shouldn't be something this girl couldnt attend without being the "creepy old girl."

She's probably not there to be besties with the Fall 2012 pledge class, but she may hang out with her Fall 08/09 bigs/littles.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Once you graduate, you are not a member of the chapter anymore, you are not paying dues there anymore, and you have no reason to be attending (much less speaking) at a collegiate chapter meeting.
In your particular GLO, maybe. Once I graduated, I was/am still a member of my chapter for life, and part of my alumnae dues go to my chapter. I cannot vote at a chapter meeting, but I may participate fully as long as I follow parliamentary procedure (which is what "Jane" now realizes she should have done).

While alumni participation in certain events may be "creepy" or unacceptable in your GLO or GLO experience, it is quite the norm and even expected in other GLOs. You've been on these boards awhile--surely you've picked up on the fact that there are variations in greek life.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Yeah ADPiUCF -it's not always like what you describe. My collegiate chapter doesn't have an open door policy-but I did attend several meetings as a casual observer. Mostly because something like a lavaliering was going to occur after meeting or sometimes just to visit with my still active littles for fun (now that they are all finished it has to be a very special occasion for me to show up though).

You do have to ask first, but it's not usually a big deal for my chapter and we all stay in line and just sit and enjoy the meeting. If we have something vital to say we ask the president for permission to speak, but otherwise it's just a fun time and that's that.

As far as chapter association- it's like pulling teeth getting women to stay involved even though they love our organization. We're slowly changing that, but it's been a long two years!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha... didn't even look at the usernames! Why would you have two accounts?!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:35 PM
stargazertechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post

You do have to ask first, but it's not usually a big deal for my chapter and we all stay in line and just sit and enjoy the meeting. If we have something vital to say we ask the president for permission to speak, but otherwise it's just a fun time and that's that.
Bolded for emphasis- our normal business agenda usually has a segment for Alum comments. Many of us work or volunteer for organizations who often have opportunities for philanthropy, or we might have a handout from professional conferences that we think would benefit the members (leadership development training, etc)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:37 PM
stargazertechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Haha... didn't even look at the usernames! Why would you have two accounts?!
Locked myself out of this account, and didn't want to wait until I got home to do a password recovery (can't access the email from work). Finally remembered the password halfway through the afternoon, and wanted replies emailed to my primary email

AKA I had a blonde moment
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
do alumnae regularly go to chapter meetings without being an advisor? Maybe it can be explained to her that collegate chapter members and approved advisors go to the chapter meetings. Alumnae chapter meetings are for those that have graduated. If she is not an advisor, then she shouldn't be there.
^^^This!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
Locked myself out of this account, and didn't want to wait until I got home to do a password recovery (can't access the email from work). Finally remembered the password halfway through the afternoon, and wanted replies emailed to my primary email

AKA I had a blonde moment
I just looked at your old posts then google and OMG. Why would you use this name again?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 PM

Get Jane a good (or at least tiring) job and a consistent booty call. I guarantee she will stop coming to chapter meetings.

I don't think it "creepy" to show up at events after you're an alumnae (I guess if pre-graduation deactivation is rife at your school you would be deluded enough to think this, but whatever) but as someone who has sat through oodles of sorority and fraternity meetings, I assure you, I would never WANT to sit through another one that wasn't mandatory, unless I was asked or for something special like BabyPink mentioned. (Or unless these meetings have wine.)