GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,401
0 members and 1,401 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Sig Ep owns the land on the end of Stadium Dr that is currently the SAE Parking Lot. The former KA/Theta house has been knocked down, bought by the University and turned into a parking lot for PDT/LXA
Old 01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Which is another reason why USC is much more expensive than Arkansas. Everything that makes Arkansas scary is at USC but amped up ten fold.
SDT, which is one of the smallest NPC groups, seemed ok with colonizing at USC in recent history and maintaining themselves as a niche group.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
SDT, which is one of the smallest NPC groups, seemed ok with colonizing at USC in recent history and maintaining themselves as a niche group.
And SDT is a niche group at USC. You wouldn't be able to take a non-niche group and do the same thing. The housing is uber-expensive, and trying to break into the hierarchy is no less difficult than at Arkansas where the tradition is set in stone. SDT has a national organization that supports them in recruiting outside of formal recruitment and staying below total. Not all NPC groups do that.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 01-24-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDTStaffer View Post
Sig Ep owns the land on the end of Stadium Dr that is currently the SAE Parking Lot. The former KA/Theta house has been knocked down, bought by the University and turned into a parking lot for PDT/LXA
Didn't Theta move from Maple into a former fraternity house, I bet the old Sigma Pi house, on Stadium?

Does Sig Ep still have an actual house? That site was the location of many fine wars between Pomfret and Sig Ep, usually because they came over and pulled the fire alarm at 3 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
And SDT is a niche group. You wouldn't be able to take a non-niche group and do the same thing. The housing is uber-expensive, and trying to break into the hierarchy is no less difficult than at Arkansas where the tradition is set in stone. SDT has a national organization that supports them in recruiting outside of formal recruitment and staying below total. Not all NPC groups do that.
You know they are housed there, so they have housing expenses too, right? While SC has an exceptional Greek tradition, the hierarchy there is more fluid than Arkansas. I am intimately familiar with both systems and it is like comparing apples to oranges. Both fruit. Both delicious. But very different.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
You know they are housed there, so they have housing expenses too, right? While SC has an exceptional Greek tradition, the hierarchy there is more fluid than Arkansas. I am intimately familiar with both systems and it is like comparing apples to oranges. Both fruit. Both delicious. But very different.
I definitely know that they are housed, but we are definitely talking about a group that is allowed by their nationals to function outside the system. I guarantee they have a less expensive house than some of the other groups, and they rent. This is not the standard. They are successful by their own standards. You put AOII, for example, in USC, we would not be allowed to recruit outside of formal. We would have to jump in and be just like one of the other NPC groups, be expected to take quota and be judged according to that standard. SDT's level of success is what they want for their chapter. It would not be what a traditional chapter would be expected to produce for the outlay of funds at USC. While the hierarchy is more fluid at USC, just like at Arkansas, there are traditionally more popular groups and it is hard to crack that level. New groups have a hard time. AOII has done well at Arkansas. Things change at Arkansas, too.

BTW, none of this is to take anything away from the SDT chapter at USC. I think it is awesome that SDT is willing to allow their chapters to function in this way. I wish more organizations could allow their chapters to function outside of formal recruitment structure and ignore the whole total or die crap. It's not the end all be all. Kudos to a leadership group that sees the big picture.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 01-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Didn't Theta move from Maple into a former fraternity house, I bet the old Sigma Pi house, on Stadium?

Does Sig Ep still have an actual house? That site was the location of many fine wars between Pomfret and Sig Ep, usually because they came over and pulled the fire alarm at 3 AM.
Theta moved into the old KA house that used to be between PDT and LXA. Sig Ep is currently housed on Arkansas Ave near Farmhouse, Pike and Kappa Sig. The old Sig Ep house on Stadium is no longer there.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I've had a vision in my head for some time that Arkansas will have 2 or even 3 chapters coming on at once. How to do this without playing havoc with formal rush is the part I haven't worked out. Alpha Xi Delta did colonization directly in conjunction with formal rush (if I have that straight) at DePaul and it seems to have worked just fine. Now, please don't think I'm comparing DePaul to Arkansas but I could see that as having been a beta test. If they'd done it and it kind of bombed it wouldn't have made huge news like if it was tried at an Arkansas or SC. Theta Phi also did what was effectively a colony recruitment during formal rush at Indiana and it also seems to have worked fine. Not flawlessly, but good enough to prove it can be done. I do believe (and I have NO connections so don't think I'm letting some sort of cat out of the bag) that this has been arranged in a back room somewhere between the University, Panhellenic and a selection of sororities. And then there will probably be an announcement about land available to build 5 or 6 sorority/fraternity houses. Maybe owned by the university?

I'm of 2 minds about whether Alpha Xi should be part of this. One one hand are all the negatives that have been discussed here ad nauseum. On the other hand it would bring us into a new playing field where we have very little exposure up to now. We're at UT and Auburn but really not any of the other big Southern schools. And we don't have anything on the books for next year yet. As far as I know anyway.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that SDT does informal recruitment at USC both fall and spring. I thought they stayed out of formal recruitment because they lacked the numbers of actives to handle the 700+ pnm's coming through. Expansion is on the horizon at USC...anyone know who is presenting?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post
Expansion is on the horizon at USC...anyone know who is presenting?
If you mean Southern California, the only one that I'm aware of is Alpha Gamma Delta.
If you mean South Carolina, AGD already has that one locked up for next fall. I don't know if this USC is thinking stacked expansion. They could certainly use more than one addition but it appears they have had lots of turnover in sororities there so they might be going very conservatively with expansion.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

expansion at Arkansas

Just received this info via email re Arkansas expansion!! Go HOGS! Will keep you all posted as I hear anything else.

February 2 Alpha Chi Omega
Public Reception will begin at 5pm in Reynolds Center.
Formal Presentation will begin promptly at 6pm in the Reynolds Auditorium.

February 3 Alpha Phi

February 6 Alpha Gamma Delta
Public Reception will begin at 5pm in Walker Hall: H.L. Hembree Room 203.

February 7 Phi Mu

February 13 Delta Gamma
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Just received this info via email re Arkansas expansion!! Go HOGS! Will keep you all posted as I hear anything else.

February 2 Alpha Chi Omega

February 3 Alpha Phi

February 6 Alpha Gamma Delta

February 7 Phi Mu

February 13 Delta Gamma
Hmmmm.... that is quite the list!

For those of you keeping track from Irishpipes mega-list...
Phi Mu, DG, and AXO were at U. Arkansas before.

AGD has a big chapter at Arkansas State, Phi Mu also has a couple of chapters in Arkansas, and DG is at Arkansas-Fort Smith.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I've had a vision in my head for some time that Arkansas will have 2 or even 3 chapters coming on at once. How to do this without playing havoc with formal rush is the part I haven't worked out. Alpha Xi Delta did colonization directly in conjunction with formal rush (if I have that straight) at DePaul and it seems to have worked just fine. Now, please don't think I'm comparing DePaul to Arkansas but I could see that as having been a beta test. If they'd done it and it kind of bombed it wouldn't have made huge news like if it was tried at an Arkansas or SC. Theta Phi also did what was effectively a colony recruitment during formal rush at Indiana and it also seems to have worked fine. Not flawlessly, but good enough to prove it can be done. I do believe (and I have NO connections so don't think I'm letting some sort of cat out of the bag) that this has been arranged in a back room somewhere between the University, Panhellenic and a selection of sororities. And then there will probably be an announcement about land available to build 5 or 6 sorority/fraternity houses. Maybe owned by the university?

Theta Phi Alpha at IU recruited ~70 women in the fall before formal rush begain. So by the time formal recruitment came around, they already had an established colony. So it was not as if they started formal recruitment with zero and ended up with 130 women on bid day. (which I think is what you are suggesting, please correct me if I am wrong)

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post

I'm of 2 minds about whether Alpha Xi should be part of this. One one hand are all the negatives that have been discussed here ad nauseum. On the other hand it would bring us into a new playing field where we have very little exposure up to now. We're at UT and Auburn but really not any of the other big Southern schools. And we don't have anything on the books for next year yet. As far as I know anyway.
Preface:

#1 - I'm a guy. We notably do not get all the ins and outs of NPC recruitment.
#2 - The campuses in my example are way smaller and had brand new systems.
#3 - I'm a guy. (Sorry, I've noticed that if I use that excuse at work, many of the female teachers cut me some slack.)

IF 2 groups come on at same time, could they possibly do a "mini-recruitment" after regular formal recruitment. In my mind, it would be similar to the new systems at Arkansas-Fort Smith and UTexas-Tyler. The pnms for the colonies would go to presentations, meetings, have their interviews, and then would rank the colonies in order of preference to join. The colonies would also rank the pnms for preference of members ("mutual selection").

Or, am I talking out my ear?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

New DG Chapter at University of Alabama -

Pics of House being Constructed.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UA-Pan...n/196334273720

Let me know if that works. (Thank you WhiteRose1912!!!)

Last edited by DZsis&mom; 01-25-2012 at 01:58 PM.