GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
1 members and 1,440 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2003, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
TKE back at University of Central Oklahoma

by Audrey Dodgen - Editor in chief
August 26, 2003

After a four year hiatus, the Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) fraternity has been re-recognized by the Intrafraternity Council and the University of Central Oklahoma.

The fraternity's 19 active members hope to add several new members during fall rush, said fraternity President Nate Raddatz.

"We hope to have a quality rush this fall. We're not trying to compete with the other houses but to improve our own house," Raddatz said.

Mike Wheat, the house's New Member Educator, said the emphasis for this year's rush will be on building a strong Greek system, whether the potential members choose TKE or not.

"When we improve the Greek system, we help improve UCO," he said.

Raddatz said the aim of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity was to improve young men's journeys through college by teaching community service, leadership and social skills.

"We encourage community service. Our philanthropy is the Alzheimer's Association. TKE supports it because Ronald Reagan was a member," he said.

The leadership of TKE also wants to encourage fraternity members to serve the community of Edmond.

"When we participate in community service, we reflect on UCO. When we do things well, people have a chance to see how great UCO is. We are proud to affiliate ourselves with UCO," Raddatz said.

With the improvements being made to the campus, Raddatz said he feels now, more than ever, the Greek system should contribute to the success of the university.

"We should work to improve Greek life for all fraternities and sororites. Then we should pack Wantland Stadium. Even if our team is having a losing season, we should support them. That way, we can support the university. Greeks can help do that," Raddatz said.

The Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity was given a one-year probation for low membership in 1999.

During that probation, the fraternity was suspended for a violation of UCO's alcohol policy.

"Our active membership was somewhere around eight when we were suspended," Raddatz said.

"We hope to get our numbers up and become a positive influence on the campus, and avoid some of our earlier problems."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2007, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

TKE at Central Oklahoma

Epsilon Sigma Chapter never folded. The University suspended recognition for three years, but they didn't live up to their word, and it rolled into four plus years. They were not suspended for violating the alcohol policy, but for have a social event after they were told they couldn't because of their grades. A keg had been donated to them by the local 7-11 for an MDA fundraiser. They raised $85 for MDA and got kicked off campus for half a decade.

Meanwhile, TKE and Tim Murphy in particular stood behind the group. Without his help, they would have folded. Now they have a brand new two story house, two Leadership Academy alumni (including Frater Raddatz, mentioned in the article, and now a law student) and celebrating their 50th anniversary this spring!

Best,
YITB,
Walt
Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

They recently sold their house to Alpha Delta Pi. We tried to acquire their house and in the process, I met with most or all of the members of the TKE house corp. It was interesting to learn how dominant TKE used to be at UCO. Y'all have some great and dedicated alumni.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Kevin --

What's average fraternity total membership at UCO?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea. Although I'll probably know after the advisers dinner later this month. My chapter is sitting at ~60, but I'm sure that's above average.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Kevin -- As that is your and my nephew's initiating chapter, I'd say Sigma Nu at OCU is WAY above average.

Good luck to TKE in the recolonization of your Epsilon Sigma chapter, with continued growth & success!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, OCU (Oklahoma City University) is a totally different place with its own Greek system. UCO (Central Oklahoma) is in Edmond, OK. Not sure if that was intended or a typo. I have a degree from each of those schools, so I'm probably a little quick to correct that mistake

Let me be clear, TKE just sold their house. They didn't dissolve. From past experience, they kept that chapter open with six men, no university recognition, some huge risk management issues and an abysmal GPA (circa 2003). They'll never close because of what I perceive to be an excellent and involved base of alumni who are generous with their time and treasure.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

FYI, campus average last year was 39.