GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,724
2 members and 1,722 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 02-26-2002, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Ark Head Coach ain't gonna take it anymore ! Go 'head brother

Did anyone else see Nolan Richardson's press conference? He was straight clocking on everybody!! GO 'HEAD BROTHER!!!

Associated Press
Feb. 26, 2002 4:32 a.m.
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — After an angry tirade to the media in which he questioned why reporters covering his team are all white, Arkansas basketball coach Nolan Richardson is closing practices and limiting access to his players.
"My practices will be closed to the media from this day until I decide when I'll open it again, if I ever open it again while I am still the basketball coach here," he said Monday.

The coach lashed out at criticism of the Razorbacks' record and said he would make himself less available. Reporters should not try to reach him, he said.

"Do not call me ever on my phone, none of you, at my home ever again. Those lines are no longer for communications with me," Richardson said.

The Arkansas coach said he had earned the right to have a season considered subpar by Razorback standards. On Saturday, Richardson had said after a loss to then-No. 12 Kentucky that, if Arkansas would buy out his contract, "they can take the job tomorrow."

Arkansas is 13-13 overall and 5-9 in the Southeastern Conference. The record is atypical for Richardson, who has taken the Razorbacks to the NCAA tournament 14 of the last 15 years and to a postseason tournament for 16 consecutive years.

Fayetteville campus Chancellor John White said Sunday that he believed Richardson's comments about having his seven-year contract bought out stemmed from the coach's competitiveness. He said he expected Richardson to complete his contract.

Richardson said Monday he planned to be at Arkansas for a long time.

"The more you are on my case," he said, "the longer I will stay here. So maybe that's what you want."

He expressed disappointment that all the reporters at the news conference were white.

"When I look at all of you people in this room, I see no one look like me, talk like me or act like me," he said. "Now, why don't you recruit? Why don't the editors recruit like I'm recruiting?"

He said he had different expectations from those of his ancestors.

"My great-great-grandfather came over on the ship, not Nolan Richardson," he said. "I didn't come over on that ship, so I expect to be treated a little bit different.

"Because I know for a fact that I do not play on the same level as the other coaches around this school play on," he continued. "I know that. You know it. And people of my color know that. And that angers me."

Richardson opened his news conference Monday by asking an aide to read a note from the family of a recruit praising the coach. Richardson then said the reason good players come to Arkansas is because he is the coach.

"The No. 1 thing that's talked in our deal is that the greatest thing going for the University of Arkansas is Nolan Richardson. Secondly, all the key football players talk to Nolan Richardson. Why?" Richardson asked rhetorically.

Richardson said he is eager for Athletic Director Frank Broyles and top university officials to know his stand.

"But I will not answer to the media, I will not answer to the fans or anybody else. No talk show hosts, no anybody can do anything to me."

The people he answers to, he said, are Broyles, White and University of Arkansas system president Alan Sugg.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Nolan Richardson's replacement was announced today. He is Kent State's former head coach...another Brother!

'go head!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Stan Heath is the new head basketball coach at Arkansas. Nolan Richardson was the best thing to ever happen to U of Ark. I saw the press conference yesterday where they announced Heath and they did this crazy pig calling thing that they do, and Stan Heath looked like a deer in headlights, just plain scared. WEll, he should be.
Blackwatch!!!