GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,830
2 members and 2,828 guests
ChioLu, John

Old 06-02-2005, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

That's definitely something to consider. I'm going to a fairly large state university. However, it's mainly commuter and has a relatively small Greek life.

Last edited by anaballerina; 09-29-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2005, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Havana
Exactly. Individual chapters can have different policies. For instance, the Phi Mu chapter at Indiana would only pledge freshmen...no sophomores, juniors or seniors. Same with three others (Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma and I forgot the other) I think part of the reason is that these chapters required sisters to live in the house for three years. It was much rarer for houses to pledge sophomores, though it happened. If you were a junior or above you were pretty much out of luck, since only two or three houses took upperclassmen. Granted, this was in 1993 so things could have changed since then.

At other campuses, upperclassmen are welcome to pledge, and some systems have a certain amount of upperclassmen that can pledge without counting towards quota. It all depends. Check with the Greek system on your campus...that's the best answer I can give.

My chapter of Alpha Phi Omega pledged grad and nontraditional students...in fact the president of my pledge class was a married grad student.
Your assertion about the Phi Mu chapter at IU is not correct now or in 1993 (I was chapter development adviser when the house was built). There are not restrictions - ever - on the "status" of a potential member to be pledged. "Living In" is a consideration, but exceptions are always a possibility and taken case by case. As with other GLOs I am sure, the quality of the potential new member is the most important consideration.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
Your assertion about the Phi Mu chapter at IU is not correct now or in 1993 (I was chapter development adviser when the house was built). There are not restrictions - ever - on the "status" of a potential member to be pledged. "Living In" is a consideration, but exceptions are always a possibility and taken case by case. As with other GLOs I am sure, the quality of the potential new member is the most important consideration.
I got that information out of the rush book I got when I signed up. (the book gave some info about the sororities, dues and room and board costs, minimum GPA for each house and if they would take sophomores, juniors or seniors.) It sounds like there was wrong information given in that book. I wish I knew what I did with it so I could know for sure which were the houses that didn't take upperclassmen. (I know there were four houses that said they didn't take anyone over freshmen and I know for sure Alpha Phi and Delta Gamma were two of them. Phi Mu sticks out in my mind because I remember I really liked them and thought it was a shame I had no chance to get to the second round since I was a sophomore!) For the record, the year in school issue was not brought up at any of the parties (I certainly wasn't going to say "I read you don't take sophomores. Is that true?" )and I was not treated differently at all at the houses that didn't take sophomores and above when they found out what year I was. Maybe none of it was as black and white as the book made it sound!

I would love to see a current IU recruitment book.

Last edited by Sister Havana; 06-02-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lovingalphagam
Hello_
I don't know if this helps; but if you do not have the option of actually going through recruitment, several sororities allow alumnae intiates. At my chapter, we had one last year that was the mother of a current member; but, they go through intiation and they would be allowed to attend any chapter sponsored event (ex. philanthropy or formals) without being required to attend events (such as philanthropies). Its usually someone who is the mother/sister/friend of an already intiated member or someone who has contriubuted to the organization. But ask around, you never know!
I believe that the poster is looking for active membership, not alumnae membership. AI and active membership are not interchangeable.

If a grad student would be satisfied with AI fine, but it sounds like the OP wants to do everything undergrads do, she just happens to be a grad student.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Good luck with finding a chapter. I just wanted to let you know that my AXiD chapter has pledged a grad student or two. They where really great.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 06-02-2005, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Anaballerina, I've pmed you. Good luck with your quest and I hope you find the answers you're looking for.

Carolyn

p.s. I joined Phi Sigma Sigma as a grad student so I know they definitely do it just not sure of individual campus and chapter rules.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 06-13-2005, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, the non-discrimination clause says:

that NPC sororities do not discriminate on any basis, except for sex. So, I mis-spoke when I quoted just age.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by anaballerina
That's definitely something to consider. I'm going to a fairly large state university. However, it's mainly commuter and has a relatively small Greek life (4 NPC sororities). Also, as far as I know, there is no Greek housing. I don't know how that would affect my chances- like you said, it's up to each chapter, but I will keep in touch with Greek Life to get more info.

I take it this is FAU or FIU?
Old 06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Follow-up

Hey all,

Thanks for all the helpful comments. It turns out that I am eligible to go through recruitment. I am really excited and defintely hope for the best!

ana
Old 06-28-2005, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
w00t! Be sure to write a Recruitment Story under the Recruitment story thread!! Cheers!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Re: Follow-up

Quote:
Originally posted by anaballerina
Hey all,

Thanks for all the helpful comments. It turns out that I am eligible to go through recruitment. I am really excited and defintely hope for the best!

ana
Good luck - keep us informed of how it goes.

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 07-01-2005, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Good luck and keep us rush thread addicts updated!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Banned

I think she's been busy lately...

We've been get plenty of rain in south florida.

Actually, the whole state is flooded right now.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

the busier, the better!

oh man...more gray skies...sofla weather is insane!

P.S. I will definitely share my recruitment story...hope I can inspire more grads to give it a go!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Graduate women

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRose
Many moons ago, I emailed the HQs of the NPC groups and asked them if they allowed grad students to join. Only about half responded. The results were surprising, as I wasn't expecting this many groups to say that they allow it. The following groups all said that they allow grad students to join:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Xi Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Mu
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Theta Phi Alpha

Other groups may allow it as well, but I never heard back from them, so I obviously didn't list them.

I thought AOII did. I know that my collegiate chapter has in the past.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.